Queen Mary at Circular Quay 7th/8th March

I'm sure it will be a first for OPT, but looked up the Sydney Ports website on Friday and it said the Queen Mary will be berthed at Circular Quay instead of Garden Island. I even rang Sydney Ports and they confirmed it.

I will be there for sure to have a look

I'm sure it will be a first for OPT, but looked up the Sydney Ports website on Friday and it said the Queen Mary will be berthed at Circular Quay instead of Garden Island. I even rang Sydney Ports and they confirmed it.

I will be there for sure to have a look

According to the Sydney ports website I have they are boarding passengers at barangaroo. Why would they do that if it's docked at the Opt. I don't believe that Qm2 can dock at circular quay because of its draught. But I may be wrong!!!

According to the Sydney ports website I have they are boarding passengers at barangaroo. Why would they do that if it's docked at the Opt. I don't believe that Qm2 can dock at circular quay because of its draught. But I may be wrong!!!

Something to do with a heavy duty anchor thay have put in to also make way for Voayager of the seas and Celebrity solstice later in the year.

I would like to go and see QM2 at the opt, if I can get a second coat of paint on the bedroom wall first. We find that catching the rivercat from rydalmere is the easiest way to get a Birdseye view, as the ferry has to pass it to get into the quay.will try to post a photo if I can work out how. Lol

According to Queen Mary bridgecam, she is berthed at Circular Queen, looks like she is pointing towards the Harbour Bridge. On my way to work, will look at her in my lunch hour... very exciting.

Can anyone taking a webcam shot... I am hopeless at it

cheers

"IT was all about the Queen Mary 2's swivel in Sydney Harbour this morning as the vessel docked into Circular Quay.

The 345 metre luxury ocean liner sailed into the harbour about 4.45am and with its bow facing the Harbour Bridge it performed a 90 degree turn on its axis before reversing its stern into Circular Quay.

The manoeuvre took about 40 minutes.

Allister, 67, from Lane Cove watched the Queen Mary 2 perform the swivel with keen interest from Kirribilli.

"She's doing it (the swivel) all by herself,'' he said. "The tugboats aren't doing too much, they're on standby.''

This is the Queen Mary 2's second visit to Sydney within a month and the first time it has docked at Circular Quay's Overseas Passenger Terminal after a $5 million upgrade to its mooring."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/queen-mary-2-swivels-into-sydney-sydney-harbour/story-e6freuy9-1226291421258

This shows the swivel.

Note $5 million upgrade to OPT moorings!

just heard on the news that the QM2 is the largest ship to berth at the OPT.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/queen-mary-2-berths-in-sydney-20120307-1uj4r.html

There is some beautiful photos on the above link.

Mr Gay said the government had invested $5 million in mooring improvements at the Overseas Passenger Terminal as part of an $87 million infrastructure program designed to support the cruise industry.

There were 150 cruise ship visits to Sydney in 2010/11, and 216 ships this season.

Next season is expected to welcome 264 cruise ships to Sydney.

The QM2's operator, Cunard, said this will be the ship's first overnight stay in Sydney, coming after its 30—day circumnavigation of Australia as part of a 108-night world trip.

The liner carries 2500 passengers.

It rises 62 metres above the water line - just five metres shy of the highest sail of the Sydney Opera House and 10 metres above the navigational clearance for the Harbour Bridge.

Ann Sherry, CEO of Carnival Australia, which represents Cunard Line in Australia, said the boat's Sydney stay would inject $1 million into the local economy.

She returns to Sydney next year on a 106-night world voyage which will include a circumnavigation of New Zealand.

The mother of all ships, nice pics. Don't like the class distinction on board Cunarders though, where you eat depends on the cabin grade you have, i.e. Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Britannia Restaurant, in that order (I think.) Plus there are one or two public rooms on QM2 where the lower classes cannot go into, just like the Titanic!

The mother of all ships, nice pics. Don't like the class distinction on board Cunarders though, where you eat depends on the cabin grade you have, i.e. Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Britannia Restaurant, in that order (I think.) Plus there are one or two public rooms on QM2 where the lower classes cannot go into, just like the Titanic!

I went into the city this morning and took a few shots of the QM2. This one is the only one worth showing. While there we spoke at length to a passenger who had just gotten off from the Fremantle-Sydney leg, and we asked him about the class distinction that I had read about on the cruise critic forum and he said he did'nt know what we were talking about, he had'nt struck such a thing. He said they could go anywhere.Please don't shoot the messanger, thats what the man said.

1841303530_QM2cropped.jpg.2c8043af91f70f243523494b9fa83bfb.jpg

I went into the city this morning and took a few shots of the QM2. This one is the only one worth showing. While there we spoke at length to a passenger who had just gotten off from the Fremantle-Sydney leg, and we asked him about the class distinction that I had read about on the cruise critic forum and he said he did'nt know what we were talking about, he had'nt struck such a thing. He said they could go anywhere.Please don't shoot the messanger, thats what the man said.

Thanks dave, you can be sure, there are three seperate restaurants where you dine according to your cabin grade, also at least one lounge reserved for Queens Grill/Princess Grill pax.

Keep on with those photos matey, great job you are doing. Hope you get a good one of Arcadia, Friday.

Strange that he didn't come across it. My parents did the Fremantle to Sydney leg a few weeks ago and the class distinction was well and truly in place. They said the ship was huge (and beautiful) but there were certain bars and restaurants which they weren't allowed access to. During sailaway they went up to a bar (where there were very few people apparently) and while my Dad did some filming, Mum went to order a couple of drinks. When she handed her cruise card over, the bar tender said they weren't allowed to be in that area and that it was only for first class passengers (luckily they could take their drinks with them when they left). They both enjoyed their trip on board and they're glad they've been able to experience such a ship, but they're used to the perks of being Elite Princess passengers (I've lost count of how many Princess cruises they've done, it's so many) and didn't enjoy the class system on board.

Sounds like the guy we spoke to did,nt get around much. Now that I think of it I've met a few people like that.. Each to there own

No worries dave, we are not shooting the messenger! Maybe the passenger you met stayed in his cabin, had cabin service or the odd visit to the 'All classes buffet!'

Sounds like the guy we spoke to did,nt get around much. Now that I think of it I've met a few people like that.. Each to there own
LOL! Maybe, who knows. :D The bar I mentioned that my parents found there way to during sailaway apparently didn't have any signage (or any apparent signage - there may've been some, just not well displayed). Maybe the guy you spoke to just didn't realise these areas existed... :)

Archived