Bringing soda on

jig

I am going on the Statendam next March and was readind some review and the reviewer said HAL has a new policy of not allowing pax to bring on their own sodas. Is that true. I never have had a problem with liquor in my checked bags but always bring on my diet pepsi. Anyone have any recent feedback on that. thanks

I am not sure about the soda rule, but on a recent trip to the Western Carribean, my grandmother's carry-on was searched as we boarded, and a bottle of liquor that she was bringing was removed. They returned it to her the last night of the trip.

You might want to check - I am not sure if it had anything to do with the countries we were visiting or something like that.

Interestingly enough, the bottle of champagne that we had to toast the sailing was allowed.

I am not sure about the soda rule, but on a recent trip to the Western Carribean, my grandmother's carry-on was searched as we boarded, and a bottle of liquor that she was bringing was removed. They returned it to her the last night of the trip.

You might want to check - I am not sure if it had anything to do with the countries we were visiting or something like that.

Interestingly enough, the bottle of champagne that we had to toast the sailing was allowed.

Camille, that's because champagne (and wine) is allowed; liquor is not.

jig, AFAIK, soda is still allowed. We carried on a 12-pack each with no questions/hassles.

You may want to make sure you carry the soft-drinks on. My son is a rootbeer-aholic and packed 3 cans in his soft-sided suitcase. The baggage carriers were so rough with his suitcase that the 3 cans were dented and popped open - all over his Tin Tin books! (This was on the Volendam, BTW.)

For our cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Maasdam, I packed a 12-pack of Pepsi in my luggage for embarkation and did not have it questioned. And I bought a 6-pack in St. Thomas and brought it onto the ship in port.

They were collecting liquor bottles to hold for passengers until the last night, but did not bother when we brought a few mini bottles onto the ship. I'm not sure if they did not see them or did not want to bother. I had bought them as presents in St. Maarten. If I had known, I might have bought a few more to drink during the remainder of our cruise--but that may have pushed it over the edge of the amount they'll allow to slide by.

I bought a bottle of Jamaican Rum in Ocho and just brought it on openly in my bags - it was even sticking out a little. I didn't really care if they took it - I wasn't planning to open it until we got home anyway. They looked through my bags but never said a word about the rum.

I have never had any problems with bringing canned Cokes on board. However, after hearing stories about cans bursting in the suitcase, I have switched. Now, instead of canned soda, I bring Crystal Lite Lemonade instead. It takes up less room and won't hurt anything if it should get ruptured. However, with the lemonade, I do have to also take a container to mix it in but it takes up very little space since you can pack things inside it.

user8,

Have you seen the new Crystal Light individual serving packs? They come in a box with maybe 10(?) individual packs that you dump into a bottle of water and shake. Much easier than bringing along a pitcher and having to stir, perhaps...you could just bring (or purchase) a single bottle of water and keep re-using. Wal-Mart and Target also have their own brands of the same product. I've found them all to taste the same, and the store brands are much cheaper!

Much easier than bringing along a pitcher!

? Why bring a pitcher? Even if someone prefers to bring a can of Crystal Lite they don't need to bring a pitcher. Just ask the steward to get one for the cabin.

Thanks for your suggestions Jimbug & RuthC. The container I usually take is not a pitcher but a plastic container that has a removable top which most people probably use for making up orange juice. It is about 12 inches tall and about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and holds about a quart. . Since it is hollow, I stuff it full of socks or other small items when packing. It also works well when bringing small items home which I don't want to get broken, so really, it takes up virtually no space on its own.

It never occurred to me that I could just ask the cabin steward for a container, but the container I carry is just the right size for the individual packets that I buy.

Thanks also for the other suggestions. I wasn't aware of the store brands you mention but I will check them out before our next cruise in June.

Thanks for your suggestions Jimbug & RuthC. The container I usually take is not a pitcher but a plastic container that has a removable top which most people probably use for making up orange juice. It is about 12 inches tall and about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and holds about a quart. . Since it is hollow, I stuff it full of socks or other small items when packing. It also works well when bringing small items home which I don't want to get broken, so really, it takes up virtually no space on its own.

It never occurred to me that I could just ask the cabin steward for a container, but the container I carry is just the right size for the individual packets that I buy.

Thanks also for the other suggestions. I wasn't aware of the store brands you mention but I will check them out before our next cruise in June.

I see the following on the Holland America web site (link http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=arrival&topic=boarding:

Prior to boarding, you will pass through a security checkpoint. Next, you will be required to complete ship check-in formalities. Please note: beverages may not be brought on board during embarkation or in ports of call.

It does seem like some odd wording, but it surely appears that they say no beverages and not "open" beverages. Who knows if they actually enforce it though.....

I'm guessing that it means "no open containers or such" during boarding, because you get water when board.

My guess is their policy is "no beverage" period.

So you take your chance and cannot be surprised if as previous posters mention, your bottle or whatever was taken and returned when departing....:D

I'm guessing that it means "no open containers or such" during boarding, because you get water when board.

Not necess-celery...... :D

When I embarked the Oosterdam last Feb, I had a small bottle of opened, half-consumed PS water that was shoved into my carryons pocket.

It was never questioned, or asked to be surrendered going thru security.

Ditto once on board.

Oh yea

When in Cabo, I reboarded with a bottle of Cabo Wabo in plain sight next to a t-shirt in that stores signature white plastic bag. (And it was way too obvious there was a bottle in there .... the bulk of it, and that bright blue colour! ...) After claiming the bag from the x-ray machine on the ship, I simply walked away to my cabin.

I was expecting one of the guys at the gangway to pull me aside, but nope.

Went my merry way.

Maybe it's just spot checking every other pax?? Who knows.....

Archived