Water on the Splendor

In checking if the Splendor passed it's last inspection, I found that they passed with a 91, June 2017. But was very concerned with the statement that the reverse osmosis system has not worked for 2 years. I always drink the tap water, but now am a little afraid to. Anyone cruised her lately and can give me some insight regarding the water.

I don't have any insights specific to the water system but did drink water in the dining rooms with no ill effects in April. Even if it is the same water - I don't like drinking out of the bathroom tap. The last few cruises I have purchased bottled water thru Carnival to have in the cabin. Having a couple cases of bottles reminds me to keep my water consumption up.

The Reverse Osmosis unit is not like one that you have in your home that filters the water coming from the street supply. The ship's RO units take sea water and produce fresh water from it. If the RO unit is not working, that merely means that the ship cannot produce as much water from sea water as she was designed to do.

RO units are not the only way that ships make fresh water from sea water. They also use flash evaporators that produce distilled water, and usually are larger in capacity than the RO units. Also, the ship can take on water in port for use.

All water produced on the ship from sea water is chlorinated to sanitize it before it goes into the storage tanks. The water that is circulated around the ship for use in sinks, showers, galleys, laundries, bars, drinking, etc, is constantly chlorinated to ensure sanitation.

Water that is loaded in port must come from a source that has been tested, within the last month, at the hydrant, and shown to meet USPH or WHO minimum requirements for safe drinking water. This water is then chlorinated before going into the tanks. All water loaded in port must be kept segregated from all other water onboard (in separate tanks), and not used until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative, and this requires 18-24 hours to complete.

If you look at the Splendor's Corrective Action Report to this inspection, you will see that the inspectors gave this non-conformity of the RO unit being out of service a "0" point deduction. This means that they don't feel this is a non-conformity that affects ship's sanitation or public health, but is to be noted as a non-conformity. USPH requirements are that any equipment installed onboard that is part of a system that affects shipboard sanitation is to be operable and in good condition. This is just a type of "bookmark" to remind future inspectors that the RO units were down at the last inspection.

So, the short answer (unlike the above), the fact that the RO unit is not working has absolutely nothing with the sanitation or safety of the tap water onboard. That is the function of the chlorination system, and that was not cited in any way, and in fact the only other problem with the potable water system at all was some of the piping was not properly marked with striping for identification as potable water pipes.

Good explanation Chengkp75. Is there a reasonable explanation on why Carnival would not address the issue of the RO for two years?

Likely, it is cheaper to pay for water in the turn-around port (LA?) than to repair the RO unit. The membranes in these units are very expensive (unlike a home RO unit, or even a bottled water factory that may operate on a couple of hundred psi, these units work on 2500-3000 psi), and the corrective action report states that corporate is making a decision whether to upgrade (read renew the unit) or not.

Thank you so very much, Chengkp75. That really makes me feel better. I am also quite impressed with your knowledge. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I had ordered 12 of the small bottles, but was thinking maybe I should order 4 of the large bottles to augment the 2 they will gift us with. Thank you for the peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app