christmas and new year on RSSC

Hi we are booking the Singapore / Sydney Christmas and New Year cruise on the Voyager can anyone tell us how RSSC celebrate is it more of a party atmosphere during Christmas and New Year and do they do anything special , we are not looking for anything in your face but some light hearted party atmosphere would be nice , any comments from previous RSSC crusers that have done Christmas / New Year would be appreciated

thank you

Lots of decorations, trees etc. Santa would come down the smoke stack if ship had one but he'll find away to see the youngsters!

And a Merry Xmas to all!

Hopefully (?) there will be few children on this particular cruise since it ends a week after New Year's -- when children are due back in school. We have been on Regent ships the week before Christmas and it was wonderful. Last year we went to a show in the evening. When the show was over, we were greeted by officers and crew and many decorations were up (including the BIG Christmas tree). It was a delightful surprise!

Midlandgas, I was once on the Voyager on NYE transiting the Panama Canal when the clock struck midnight, and it was fun! Everyone on duty as we came through the locks was cheering and waving at us. I remember I boarded around Dec. 27, so the beautiful Christmas decorations were still everywhere, very festive trees, and special things like gingerbread houses etc. Maybe a couple of days before NYE, all the Christmas decorations came down, and the party stuff went up, almost overnight. I do remember mountains of black and white balloons and streamers were in the atrium. The dress code that night was formal (back when there were 3 dress codes) and it was suggested that people dress in a black/white theme. Being in a warm climate, there was a big party up on the pool deck to bring in the New Year, before that, activity in all the lounges. You will definitely have fun!

The only specials that Regent has for children now are limited to the summer months, and long gone are the days when kids sailed free, which brought some problems now and then.

We were on the Voyager last Christmas (Bali-Melbourne). The ship was tastefully decorated with a large tree at the bottom of the main staircase (also decorated with festoons and swags) and other seasonal touches including some magnificent real gingerbread houses placed strategically throughout the ship. They had delicious cookies and other treats in their "gardens" which were replaced almost daily and all made on board. The atmosphere was very relaxed and on the afternoon of Christmas Day the whole crew including Captain McNeal and his officers set up a kind of "village fair" with stalls and games in the main atrium which was terrific fun for everyone involved. There were very few children on board.

and it was lovely. The gingerbread houses and the plate of cookies that DH loved. There were only two kids on board. It was a South American itinerary. One of the kids (about 17) played Trivia with us..he was very smart. I believe the ships where there are a lot of children are mostly close cruises in the Caribbean. That being said, when we wanted to take our grandchildren on a long cruise, we took them out of school and they brought homework. Not all kids are bad kids. It is the younger, unruly ones who ruin it for all.

We have not sailed over Christmas but have enjoyed the remaining few days of the Christmas decorations during our several New Years cruises.

Yes, for many years it was formal and yes, they had hats and horn blowers at the table and balloons around the ship. Compass Rose tended to become logged down as most people dined there and lingered. The champagne flowed at midnight and the mood was jolly. However, the actual countdown and midnight music [band on stairs] was in the rug covered atrium, not much of a dance venue for us. One year some people were dancing in the elevators which probably made a fun memory for them but had me wondering why we were not in a lounge that invited dancing. I don't recall any midnight buffet or hors but I may have forgotten them.

There was one very special NYE. We had spent the day in Acapulco and were scheduled to sail in the evening when it was announced that we would stay for the fabulous local fireworks. Truly a lovely setting and a special night.

Folks, of course, will differ but we didn't find NYE 'special' on Regent.

There was one very special NYE. We had spent the day in Acapulco and were scheduled to sail in the evening when it was announced that we would stay for the fabulous local fireworks. Truly a lovely setting and a special night.

Folks, of course, will differ but we didn't find NYE 'special' on Regent.

Was that the New Years Eve 2006 Mariner Panama Canal trip. That was the best New Years party ever for us. Fabulous event up on the pool deck with Holly & Marty Duo. Fireworks and laser light show form 6 or 7 shoreside hotels/venues. They pulled out of the dock around 11pm and stayed in the center of Acapulco bay spinning the ship slowly in circles. (Last time Regent stopped in the Canal so that we could go swimming.)

Having said that, two other Regent New Years eve parties and New year day events were real duds. Also have done several Xmas cruises. Nothing memorable. Most of the crew sad about not being at home.

j

29/403

Was that the New Years Eve 2006 Mariner Panama Canal trip. That was the best New Years party ever for us. Fabulous event up on the pool deck with Holly & Marty Duo. Fireworks and laser light show form 6 or 7 shoreside hotels/venues. They pulled out of the dock around 11pm and stayed in the center of Acapulco bay spinning the ship slowly in circles. (Last time Regent stopped in the Canal so that we could go swimming.)

29/403

I hope they do something like that on the Mariner this year, we'll be so close to Rio de Janeiro on New Years Eve. I contacted Regent already and was told that nothing is planned and the ship will be far out at sea to watch the fireworks at Copacabana beach. It's my understanding that Paraty is not far from Rio and the next day is at sea in the way to Buzios, which is not far at all from Rio either. I imagined we may be sailing at 5-10 knots/hour on that little stretch, so there is plenty of time to divert a few miles closer to land and make a special evening even more memorable. Oh well!!

Jorge

quepaquete, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Your itinerary is pretty set, and while Rio may be close, you are not scheduled there until 2-3 days later. Berthing issues may have made it impossible to be in Rio who knows. I hope you will enjoy the party anyway!

quepaquete, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Your itinerary is pretty set, and while Rio may be close, you are not scheduled there until 2-3 days later. Berthing issues may have made it impossible to be in Rio who knows. I hope you will enjoy the party anyway!

jhp,

I have low expectations, we will have a very good time no matter what.

Eventhough this will be our first cruise with Regent, after a couple of dissapointments, one with other "luxury" line and another with the one with three different restaurants, we don't expect much.

A true luxury line would charter a smaller boat perhaps, and take their guest closer to the show (fireworks), or perhaps reserve the best viewing area (I think is the pool) at the Copacabana Palace Hotel, etc. Ok, I'm dreaming!!! Hey, it doesn't cost to dream right? ;):p:D

Jorge

First of all we received a beautiful tiffany bowl before we left which was cool as we didn't have to carry it home!

The trees were everywhere. And Gingerbread houses with fresh cookies every day. Santa was on Deck on Christmas day. There was a Christmas eve and Christmas dinner. the "pumpkin pie" was not good.

There was a Christmas Show and also a big new years celebration in the show lounge.

People dressed up a bit more for Christmas dinner and definitely New Years eve.

The decorations were up for a long time after new years and became a bit tattered.

This is going to be a new experience for us. Whatever Regent does for the holidays will be wonderful as far as I am concerned. Seeing fireworks is something that I cared about many years ago. Sharing a dance and a kiss with my DH is the most important thing for me to celebrate the New Year (and I don't care of we dance in an elevator:-)!

Archived