Viking Sea Into the MIdnight Sun, July 9-23, 2017- mini-review

Shoalwater

We have been loyal Princess cruisers for 12 or so years, completing some 37 voyages, but after about 2 Viking Ocean cruises it's hard for us to see our return to Princess for cruising.

Viking Sea, Into the Midnight Sun Cruise...the good and areas for improvement

- The ship is absolutely not crowded, and getting around, boarding and leaving, all elements that seem to engender lines on bigger ships is vastly improved on the Viking ships.

- The food was phenomenal, great quality, excellent preparation and presentation. The beef was as tender as cutting through a cloud, no exaggeration. The prime rib in Manfredi's specialty Italian restaurant woulds easily rival Ruth Chris' or any other quality steakhouse. Fruit was perfect, morning eggs cooked to order in the buffet and if the chef didn't like how it first looked, it was started over.

- The crew and staff were jovial, friendly and very accommodating. We spoke with several who had moved over from the other major, mass marketed cruise lines and the comparison stories about work hours, salary, conditions, etc. really let you know that Viking is approaching their Ocean venture with a new paradigm. At one port many of the crew and staff, including officers lined up outside on the dock to greet returning passengers with music and applause, and we all had a good laugh and enjoyed their welcome back. Instead of the waiter baked Alaska parade in the MDR like on Princess, the entire ship company from all departments (or at least those not on necessary duty) were called down the main staircase in the atrium to be recognized by the passengers, and our cruise director was emotional as she extolled their value to the company and the hard work they put in for our enjoyment. I have never seen this before. There was absolutely no way to hide the caring shown to them by the ship staff. It was an enjoyable moment.

- The free spa in the bow with the pools, steam bath, saunas, frigidarium and the lockers stocked with towels, robes, slippers, etc. was a wonderful break in a long cruise day. Its very relaxing and a great experience.

- The absence of being up-sold on a variety of things like on the mass market ships was a welcome relief.

- The cabins, especially the bath and showers were comfortable. The cabin stewards worked in pairs and kept things spotless and well supplied.

- Room service was like blitzkrieg. The phone was barely down before there was a buzzer ringing at the cabin door. (Well, okay, a little hyperbole here, but not too much.)

- The enrichment lectures were the BEST we have ever experienced, and well attended. It was like being back in college. They were on topic, clear yet concise, and so informative. We enjoyed them immensely.

-Ship's entertainers. The singers and dance couple were an improvement over what we saw 1 year ago, and did a credible job with all but one production number. Viking is weakest IMHO in the area of nightly entertainment. Our cruise director, Heather was a mezzo soprano who has sung professionally, and she put on two majestic solo performances. Too bad she will be on the Viking Sun World Cruise and not aboard for our next voyage from San Juan on 17-Dec, 2017. - Outside entertainment. The weakest and most criticized point of the voyage. We had only one off-ship entertainer, a comedy magician who put on shows on 2 different nights. We did have a classical violinist the final night in Bergen, but it was obvious when compared to say Princess that they need to expand the guest entertainers and not rely so heavily on ship company, especially on a 2 week sailing.

- It's harder to make new "cruise friends" aboard Viking ships since dinner seating is not "fixed", and most seats are set up for 2 people, with several larger group tables available. However you are seated in the order you appear, and so may or may not see the same passengers at meals. Many of the passengers seem to prefer tables for two, and sharing is okay, but it's like Groundhog Day every time (My name is... I live in.... How may cruises have you taken... etc.).

However, in total, Viking Ocean has hit a triple with their offering, and when they get the nightly entertainment figured out, they will have made an inside the park home run.

Thanks for the review, and glad you enjoyed the cruise. We thought Viking did a great job on our recent Midnight Sun cruise, too. It's not just the size, decor, service, food, etc. we like, but also the fact that they are not afraid to go to the smaller, lesser-known ports -- the ones that the mass market lines either can't (because of size) or don't want to visit.

Love your detailed review of what you liked best about the Viking ship.

I know I will miss the advantage of fixed dining which I have always done on Celebrity.

Maybe I will just have to invite some folks who I get to know on our excursions or other places to join us for dinner?I have always found some passengers who we ran into over and over again and did do some things together on sea days or get together for a drink inthe evening.

I am very out going which can help.:)

Thanks very much for your review. I am particularly interested in reading reports such as yours, as we are also "graduating" from mass market lines (primarily HAL and Princess). Our first Viking Ocean cruise is in February. Can't wait!

Love your detailed review of what you liked best about the Viking ship.

I know I will miss the advantage of fixed dining which I have always done on Celebrity.

Maybe I will just have to invite some folks who I get to know on our excursions or other places to join us for dinner?I have always found some passengers who we ran into over and over again and did do some things together on sea days or get together for a drink inthe evening.

I am very out going which can help.:)

On our first Viking river cruise, we became fast friends with a couple from England with whom we shared a table on the first night. The waiter was a delightful young man, and the entire evening was great fun. We had dinner with that same couple and a rotation of other couples at that same table every night of the trip.

As we prepared for our first ever ocean cruise on the Viking Star, I wondered if we would have a chance to get to know any of our fellow passengers on the much larger vessel. In the World Cafe for dinner the first night, we met a great couple from Canada. They paused by our table for four as they were looking for a place to sit. I asked if they would like to join us, and they accepted. We hit it off right away, and we made plans to meet up for dinner the next night. After that, we had dinner together several more times, even making joint reservations for the specialty restaurants.

We were fortunate to have a random connection work out so well again. Even without assigned seating for meals, there are plenty of opportunities to connect with fellow travelers if you wish to do so. It is one of my favorite parts of the experience.

On our first Viking river cruise, we became fast friends with a couple from England with whom we shared a table on the first night. The waiter was a delightful young man, and the entire evening was great fun. We had dinner with that same couple and a rotation of other couples at that same table every night of the trip.

As we prepared for our first ever ocean cruise on the Viking Star, I wondered if we would have a chance to get to know any of our fellow passengers on the much larger vessel. In the World Cafe for dinner the first night, we met a great couple from Canada. They paused by our table for four as they were looking for a place to sit. I asked if they would like to join us, and they accepted. We hit it off right away, and we made plans to meet up for dinner the next night. After that, we had dinner together several more times, even making joint reservations for the specialty restaurants.

We were fortunate to have a random connection work out so well again. Even without assigned seating for meals, there are plenty of opportunities to connect with fellow travelers if you wish to do so. It is one of my favorite parts of the experience.

Thank you so much to sharing your exerience.

it sounds like there are all sorts of possibilies to interact with other passengers.

On my very first cruise, on the Century out of Barcelona at sailaway, we met a wonderful woman from England and her boyfriend. It turned out she was a retired undercover agent for the UK. We ended up becoming friends. She came to the US for a month long visit and we hooked up a couple more times when were Europe. She could hear an accent and place it within state or province of any English speaking country, and she had the best sense of humor and loved exploring Tuscany with us.

Sorry ,I did not mean to highjack the OP review.

Thanks for the great review. Sounds like we have lots to look forward to on our Viking Ocean cruise next summer. As much as we enjoy the entertainment on most cruiselines, it would almost be a relief to have an excuse to turn in early, as there seems to be frequent reasons to get up early! We often find ourselves burning the wick at both ends and wind up needing a vacation from our vacation.;)

We were on this same cruise with you and I agree with everything in your review! We just had the best time ever and this was our very first Viking experience ever! Made some new fabulous friends too as a r salt of attending Meet and Mingle. Previously loyal Oceania customers, Viking has won us over and we have already booked our next ocean cruise with them for next year.

We were on this same cruise with you and I agree with everything in your review! We just had the best time ever and this was our very first Viking experience ever! Made some new fabulous friends too as a r salt of attending Meet and Mingle. Previously loyal Oceania customers, Viking has won us over and we have already booked our next ocean cruise with them for next year.

Sorry we had to miss the Meet & Mingle, but it was scheduled over another thing we couldn't cancel. We are actually aboard the Sun for the cruise from San Juan to Manaus, Brazil over Christmas & New Year, and hopefully will make the 2019 World Cruise on the Viking Sun. I've been wanting to do a WC, and this last experience with Viking convinced both of us that this was the cruise line to sail with for such an event.

Everything I read makes me wonder if we'll keep our suite on the Celebrity Edge in 2019! Since I still work, we manage a cruise about every 9 months. Have Oceania planned next summer for Greece, but after we do Viking and Oceania, I'm afraid we'll be spoiled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been loyal Princess cruisers for 12 or so years, completing some 37 voyages, but after about 2 Viking Ocean cruises it's hard for us to see our return to Princess for cruising.

Viking Sea, Into the Midnight Sun Cruise...the good and areas for improvement

- The ship is absolutely not crowded, and getting around, boarding and leaving, all elements that seem to engender lines on bigger ships is vastly improved on the Viking ships.

- The food was phenomenal, great quality, excellent preparation and presentation. The beef was as tender as cutting through a cloud, no exaggeration. The prime rib in Manfredi's specialty Italian restaurant woulds easily rival Ruth Chris' or any other quality steakhouse. Fruit was perfect, morning eggs cooked to order in the buffet and if the chef didn't like how it first looked, it was started over.

- The crew and staff were jovial, friendly and very accommodating. We spoke with several who had moved over from the other major, mass marketed cruise lines and the comparison stories about work hours, salary, conditions, etc. really let you know that Viking is approaching their Ocean venture with a new paradigm. At one port many of the crew and staff, including officers lined up outside on the dock to greet returning passengers with music and applause, and we all had a good laugh and enjoyed their welcome back. Instead of the waiter baked Alaska parade in the MDR like on Princess, the entire ship company from all departments (or at least those not on necessary duty) were called down the main staircase in the atrium to be recognized by the passengers, and our cruise director was emotional as she extolled their value to the company and the hard work they put in for our enjoyment. I have never seen this before. There was absolutely no way to hide the caring shown to them by the ship staff. It was an enjoyable moment.

- The free spa in the bow with the pools, steam bath, saunas, frigidarium and the lockers stocked with towels, robes, slippers, etc. was a wonderful break in a long cruise day. Its very relaxing and a great experience.

- The absence of being up-sold on a variety of things like on the mass market ships was a welcome relief.

- The cabins, especially the bath and showers were comfortable. The cabin stewards worked in pairs and kept things spotless and well supplied.

- Room service was like blitzkrieg. The phone was barely down before there was a buzzer ringing at the cabin door. (Well, okay, a little hyperbole here, but not too much.)

- The enrichment lectures were the BEST we have ever experienced, and well attended. It was like being back in college. They were on topic, clear yet concise, and so informative. We enjoyed them immensely.

-Ship's entertainers. The singers and dance couple were an improvement over what we saw 1 year ago, and did a credible job with all but one production number. Viking is weakest IMHO in the area of nightly entertainment. Our cruise director, Heather was a mezzo soprano who has sung professionally, and she put on two majestic solo performances. Too bad she will be on the Viking Sun World Cruise and not aboard for our next voyage from San Juan on 17-Dec, 2017. - Outside entertainment. The weakest and most criticized point of the voyage. We had only one off-ship entertainer, a comedy magician who put on shows on 2 different nights. We did have a classical violinist the final night in Bergen, but it was obvious when compared to say Princess that they need to expand the guest entertainers and not rely so heavily on ship company, especially on a 2 week sailing.

- It's harder to make new "cruise friends" aboard Viking ships since dinner seating is not "fixed", and most seats are set up for 2 people, with several larger group tables available. However you are seated in the order you appear, and so may or may not see the same passengers at meals. Many of the passengers seem to prefer tables for two, and sharing is okay, but it's like Groundhog Day every time (My name is... I live in.... How may cruises have you taken... etc.).

However, in total, Viking Ocean has hit a triple with their offering, and when they get the nightly entertainment figured out, they will have made an inside the park home run.

Thank you for this great review. I admit I am concerned with the entertainment on Viking. We love the entertainment on Crystal. We are trying Viking in November for a week long cruise. We will then decide if we want to stay with Viking for a cruise in 2019. We are booked with Crystal 2018. We love sea days as well. Lectures are fantastic on Crystal too.