Bonaire, Do you need an cruise excursion here?

Pope Francis

• 3 weeks later...

Based on a similar question on this subject, many (MANY!) referred us to Woodwind, a small family operation that does snorkeling for groups of up to about 20. https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

You will also see many 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor. We just booked them for our cruise in December 2018, as we understand they get booked very early. You might check them out. It sounds like they work with all experience levels. We've never done it before....

Yes, if you're interested in snorkeling, I definitely recommend Woodwind -- best snorkeling we've ever done! Otherwise, there are other options, including tour operators at the port. There are threads about renting golf carts. You can walk to the main town square, where there was an open-air crafts market, and nearby shops and art galleries.

We're looking forward to a return visit in February -- doing a different snorkeling option (with Renee's Tours) and hope to see more of the island, too (probably via taxi).

We didn't do an excursion in Bonaire and were quite content. There's a promenade along the shore and looking into the amazing clear water was like looking into an aquarium with blue and green fish below our feet. On the main street and surrounding area, there are a number of interesting shops and galleries. There's also a small crafts market at the pier. Plenty to do for a few hours in a truly gorgeous port stop. - Musing About Cruising

We were in Bonaire last Xmas and will be there this Xmas. Last year we booked Woodwind snorkel tours. Easy 5 minute walk from the ship, just walk down the jetty and turn right and you go through a hotel's garden and Woodwinds office is right at the end. Very easy to find.

The only thing I found with the snorkel cruise is that the water was exceedingly chopping and churned up for our morning snorkel. Not sure if the afternoon tour is different but it might be something to consider. They offer you soft drinks on board plus after the snorkel they fed you, some kind of noodle dish that we turned down.

They have all sorts of equipment that you can use and if you are a bit wary about being in deep or choppy water then their guides are extremely helpful. The guide we had pretty much held on to my wife the whole time apart from when we were in shallower waters. They also have very good prescription masks, my wife has a strong prescription but they had a mask for that.

After the tour we walked back into the town (again, no more than 5 minutes to the ship and then kept walking another 2 minutes to a bar). After the bar we walked to the craft market were there were all kinds of local products on sale plus the local animal shelter had a stall selling beer coosies and the like to raise money.

This coming Xmas we have booked a golf cart through a local company. Excellent recommendations for the company both on here and on Tripadvisor. Its $90 for the day and includes gas etc. You have to put a $100 deposit down on arrival but they don't bill anything in advance. Apparently we just walk off the ship and they will be waiting.

Bonaire is a very pretty and under developed island so it was quite relaxing. Local beer in the bars etc. We are hoping to get to Karels which is just to the left of where the ships dock. Its on a long jetty running out into the water and looks perfect for a few cocktails before heading back on board.

Hope this helps

We were in Bonaire last Xmas and will be there this Xmas. Last year we booked Woodwind snorkel tours. Easy 5 minute walk from the ship, just walk down the jetty and turn right and you go through a hotel's garden and Woodwinds office is right at the end. Very easy to find.

The only thing I found with the snorkel cruise is that the water was exceedingly chopping and churned up for our morning snorkel. Not sure if the afternoon tour is different but it might be something to consider. They offer you soft drinks on board plus after the snorkel they fed you, some kind of noodle dish that we turned down.

They have all sorts of equipment that you can use and if you are a bit wary about being in deep or choppy water then their guides are extremely helpful. The guide we had pretty much held on to my wife the whole time apart from when we were in shallower waters. They also have very good prescription masks, my wife has a strong prescription but they had a mask for that.

After the tour we walked back into the town (again, no more than 5 minutes to the ship and then kept walking another 2 minutes to a bar). After the bar we walked to the craft market were there were all kinds of local products on sale plus the local animal shelter had a stall selling beer coosies and the like to raise money.

This coming Xmas we have booked a golf cart through a local company. Excellent recommendations for the company both on here and on Tripadvisor. Its $90 for the day and includes gas etc. You have to put a $100 deposit down on arrival but they don't bill anything in advance. Apparently we just walk off the ship and they will be waiting.

Bonaire is a very pretty and under developed island so it was quite relaxing. Local beer in the bars etc. We are hoping to get to Karels which is just to the left of where the ships dock. Its on a long jetty running out into the water and looks perfect for a few cocktails before heading back on board.

Hope this helps

Thank You for the info!!!

We didn't do an excursion in Bonaire and were quite content. There's a promenade along the shore and looking into the amazing clear water was like looking into an aquarium with blue and green fish below our feet. On the main street and surrounding area, there are a number of interesting shops and galleries. There's also a small crafts market at the pier. Plenty to do for a few hours in a truly gorgeous port stop. - Musing About Cruising

Are there public restrooms in that area? I just like to be prepared!

Get off the cruise ship, take a left when you get to the promenade, find one of several ferries that will take you to Klien Bonaire, decent drift snorkeling along the beach area. Nice white sand beach. No amenities, so bring snacks, water, etc. Very easy to do.

We did a sail and snorkel trip with Epic Tours on Bonaire last month, and this was excellent! We found them in one of the tents infront of the cruise pier on the street selling their tours. It was a lot of fun onboard with a small group of 8 people, and they took us to a beautiful snorkel site in the Marine Park. We were even lucky to see a turtle next to plenty of fish and corals. There was a guide with us in the water, doing a very professional job. I'm always a bit afraid in the water, but during this snorkel session I felt very safe, so I was able to just enjoy the snorkeling.

I can highly recommend them. So far I understood, you can also book this tour ahead through their website.