Princess Visa Reward Question

mellon1

I know there have been many posts on this and I guess I want to know for sure how this works and if I understand it correctly. I need to redeem my points. To make this easy...let's say I have 100,000 points. I have charged my Princess cruise which is $5,000 (over the $4001). If cashing in all my points for a credit on my statement, what would that credit be. I am assuming it would be $2,000.00 (100,000 pts X 2 = 200,000 pts X 1% = $2,000). Am I understanding this correctly? PLEASE HELP ME. This is very confusing and I am hoping I have this correct as I need to redeem asap for the credit on my statement.

Thank you for your help.

I know there have been many posts on this and I guess I want to know for sure how this works and if I understand it correctly. I need to redeem my points. To make this easy...let's say I have 100,000 points. I have charged my Princess cruise which is $5,000 (over the $4001). If cashing in all my points for a credit on my statement, what would that credit be. I am assuming it would be $2,000.00 (100,000 pts X 2 = 200,000 pts X 1% = $2,000). Am I understanding this correctly? PLEASE HELP ME. This is very confusing and I am hoping I have this correct as I need to redeem asap for the credit on my statement.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, you are correct.

When you go to their website to redeem, it will give you the choice of the specific purchase (within the last 180 days) to redeem and of the number of points to redeem. You will see the amount you receive before you finalize the redemption, so you can make sure you receive the 2% before it's done.

Barclay used to have a lot of software problems in granting double points for Princess purchases and in making all Princess purchases available for redemptions. As far as I can tell, they have fixed the problems and everyone seems to be working correctly. If your $5,000 purchase does not show as available or the number of dollars for the redemption does not appear correct, then call them - but you shouldn't have to do that now.

Yes, you are correct.

When you go to their website to redeem, it will give you the choice of the specific purchase (within the last 180 days) to redeem and of the number of points to redeem. You will see the amount you receive before you finalize the redemption, so you can make sure you receive the 2% before it's done.

Barclay used to have a lot of software problems in granting double points for Princess purchases and in making all Princess purchases available for redemptions. As far as I can tell, they have fixed the problems and everyone seems to be working correctly. If your $5,000 purchase does not show as available or the number of dollars for the redemption does not appear correct, then call them - but you shouldn't have to do that now.

Thank you so much for clarifying for me. It almost sounded too good to be true. I thought maybe just the Princess portion would be doubled, but all the points I saved are doubled. That is something to be THANKFUL for this holiday season! I will probably have to call, as I don't want to have to do $2,500 at a time, which is the selection on the website. I was thinking of not using this card but now I think differently, as we are getting actually double points on everything, one when we purchase and one when we charge our cruise and redeem! Not a bad deal.

Enjoy your awesome credit!

Thank you. At first I thought this new program was not as good, but it turns out to be better! They really need to make it more understandable on the Barclay site. 73 days until the cruise!!

I just this week closed my Princess Visa because it is so convoluted to redeem. I redeemed what I could and said good bye to them. I opened a better Visa which gives me 5% on travel as well as restaurants and travel related charges from a big box company. If Princess chooses to simplify their Visa I would consider going back to their card.

I think you are correct that having 200,000 points would equate to $2000 if you cash them in...the standard for any credit (OBC, purchase, or redeem for your card) seems to be $100 for every 10,000 points. What I don't understand is why a $5000 charge would equate to 100,000 points. I'm pretty sure if it's a Princes Cruise purchase it's twice the points or 10,000 points, not 100,000 points. That in turn would be a $100 credit against your balance. Could be wrong...I'd call Princess VISA to get confirmation before you spend that $2000.

Thank you. At first I thought this new program was not as good, but it turns out to be better! They really need to make it more understandable on the Barclay site. 73 days until the cruise!!

Indeed...their site leaves much to be desired. I switched over to calling their 1-866-928-3106 number and things went nice and smooth with my redemption. After getting my account fixed and having a 1100 statement credit verses an 800 obc... I will take the new program

I think you are correct that having 200,000 points would equate to $2000 if you cash them in...the standard for any credit (OBC, purchase, or redeem for your card) seems to be $100 for every 10,000 points. What I don't understand is why a $5000 charge would equate to 100,000 points. I'm pretty sure if it's a Princes Cruise purchase it's twice the points or 10,000 points, not 100,000 points. That in turn would be a $100 credit against your balance. Could be wrong...I'd call Princess VISA to get confirmation before you spend that $2000.

If you have a princess purchase over $4001 in a single transaction you are allowed to convert 100,000 barclay points at 2% giving you a $2000.00 statement credit for up to 180 days from date of the Princess transaction to redeem. The $5000 Princess purchase doesn't convert to the 100,000..... those are points they have accumulated over time. You can convert any points over 5000 at 2% if you make a Princess purchase eligible at the 2% level.

If you have a princess purchase over $4001 in a single transaction you are allowed to convert 100,000 barclay points at 2% giving you a $2000.00 statement credit for up to 180 days from date of the Princess transaction to redeem. The $5000 Princess purchase doesn't convert to the 100,000..... those are points they have accumulated over time. You can convert any points over 5000 at 2% if you make a Princess purchase eligible at the 2% level.

Copy that...so they already had the points accumulated...the purchase allowed them to double the points and then cash them in. Got it!

OK everyone....DRUM ROLL HERE!!!!! It worked!!!!! I am very happy to say the least. Yes, I admit, the person I was speaking to did not understand, so I asked for a manager. The manager put me on hold for quite awhile and came back with just what was expected, doubled my total reward points!!!!!

At this time of year, let me say to all of you I am so thankful to all of you on this site and all your expertise regarding everything. Thank you again.

ok everyone....drum roll here!!!!! It worked!!!!! I am very happy to say the least. Yes, i admit, the person i was speaking to did not understand, so i asked for a manager. The manager put me on hold for quite awhile and came back with just what was expected, doubled my total reward points!!!!!

At this time of year, let me say to all of you i am so thankful to all of you on this site and all your expertise regarding everything. Thank you again.

woo hooooo!!!!

I just this week closed my Princess Visa because it is so convoluted to redeem. I redeemed what I could and said good bye to them. I opened a better Visa which gives me 5% on travel as well as restaurants and travel related charges from a big box company. If Princess chooses to simplify their Visa I would consider going back to their card.

Be careful using a credit card based on percent back. Your points may be worth less when redeeming them. I got burned by this.

I just cashed in points for statement credit. They have updated system and it was a breeze. Took less than a minute on line. Printed out copy but didn’t have to as a confirmation e mail arrived almost immediately . The software knew it was the 2% and worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums