Gate One river cruise

Lou Werhane

My husband and I will be leaving in a few weeks for our first river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We are each bringing a carry-on so I would love to find out what mode of dress is expected for dinner. I'm beginning to panic so thanks in advance for any tips.

Lou

Ladies where slacks and a nice top. Some would dress a top up with a scarf or necklace. I wore a lot of Chicos in the evening. No fancy clothes though one woman had the most beautiful flowy tunics. Does this help?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes he can, especially the tie. My hubby took one but never used it. He wears a sports jacket often if cold and wore his once on the cruise. Mostly just khakis and dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up or tennis shirts.

JVilleGal has given good advice. I have done about 20 River cruises, and I have used Gate1 (but land, not river yet). Both of these (river / Gate1) are casual. Khakis and a collar shirt are fully acceptable for dinner at any time, although people may save their nicest looking shirt for the Welcome and Farewell dinners (at which there may be a few coats, but NOT required). In hotter months, I usually shower and change sometime between touring and dinner, to make ME feel fresher (and perhaps those at my dinner table appreciate it also:halo:). Fashion Police are generally not much present on river cruises, but neither do these cruises have a lot of sloppy (versus casual) dressers.

Switching from fashion to practicality: TAKE LAYERS. I love spring and fall in Europe (weather generally mild for walking, fewer crowds, lower prices:)) but be prepared for almost any weather. I'm currently in the DC area and we had a freeze warning last night and the forecast is for 81 degrees Tuesday - you'll probably see the same variation with a good chance of rain thrown in. I have some nice pictures of flowers in Cologne topped with snow. If you are cold and wet that makes for a miserable vacation, but if you are prepared, no big deal.

ENJOY!

Thom

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I will be leaving in a few weeks for our first river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We are each bringing a carry-on so I would love to find out what mode of dress is expected for dinner. I'm beginning to panic so thanks in advance for any tips.

Lou

We are doing this cruise next month but the opposite direction...

So how'd it go? Would you have done anything different?

We've done two uniworld cruises but never a gate one...so I'm just wondering what you thought of the ship...

Thanks!

We are doing this cruise next month but the opposite direction...

So how'd it go? Would you have done anything different?

We've done two uniworld cruises but never a gate one...so I'm just wondering what you thought of the ship...

Thanks!

Isn't Uniworld more like the Ritz and Gate 1 closer to Motel 6 ????

Don't get me wrong as both have their fans but the Price Point between the two is a world apart. Maybe I am misinformed ;)

Isn't Uniworld more like the Ritz and Gate 1 closer to Motel 6 ????

Don't get me wrong as both have their fans but the Price Point between the two is a world apart. Maybe I am misinformed ;)

I would have liked to book the uniworld cruise again but like you said..price...we were sailing the Maria theresa Budapest to Amsterdam two years ago but they cancelled half way because of water levels, so we just want to see the upper half we missed...

We're in Europe for 5 weeks doing different tours and vantage cancelled the Paris to Normandy cruise part recently and we had to search for a replacement ..so just wondering just what gate 1 has in store for us...we're pretty flexible..I do know they are apples to oranges....thanks!

I would have liked to book the uniworld cruise again but like you said..price...we were sailing the Maria theresa Budapest to Amsterdam two years ago but they cancelled half way because of water levels, so we just want to see the upper half we missed...

We're in Europe for 5 weeks doing different tours and vantage cancelled the Paris to Normandy cruise part recently and we had to search for a replacement ..so just wondering just what gate 1 has in store for us...we're pretty flexible..I do know they are apples to oranges....thanks!

Oh good, would hate to think you would arrive thinking all river boats are the same. You'll have a great time!

We`re sailing on the Monarch Baroness at the moment and I know it`s a great price but really wonder what we could be missing out on.

Unlimited drinks are all I can think of!

Room with french balcony is great and I know it`s only day 2 but dinner last night was amazing. Have photographed the menus and food. It tasted as good as it looked

Small serves but 6 courses including cheeses.

Unlimited french wines (red or white) or beer or soft drinks with dinner.

We`re sailing on the Monarch Baroness at the moment and I know it`s a great price but really wonder what we could be missing out on.

Unlimited drinks are all I can think of!...

Sounds like you are getting great value. I've been eying the Gate1 prices, and posts like yours certainly encourage me to keep them under consideration. I know that some might enjoy a butler, but I wouldn't know what to do with one, and think I'd prefer to do my own unpacking, etc. Keep us posted and ENJOY your cruise.

Thom

Just got off the Gate 1 Empress. My first river cruise but have done 15 ocean cruises. I was very impressed with the ship, the staff and the food. We went on a Tulip cruise Amsterdam to Amsterdam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed our first river cruise last year on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam with Gate 1. We were somewhat skeptical of what we were going to encounter due to the great price we had paid compared to the more popular lines, but we were pleasantly surprised...so much so we are doing the Danube with Gate 1 in July. The food was top notch and the mood was laid back. At the welcome aboard party we were quickly made at ease as they have everyone tell their name and where they're from and if they have travelled with Gate 1 before. The majority of cruisers were past Gate 1 clients...and I mean a lot were on their 10th-15th trip with Gate 1. I figured with that kind of loyalty they must be doing something right...and they were.

We sailed our first river cruise last year on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam with Gate 1. We were somewhat skeptical of what we were going to encounter due to the great price we had paid compared to the more popular lines, but we were pleasantly surprised...so much so we are doing the Danube with Gate 1 in July. The food was top notch and the mood was laid back. At the welcome aboard party we were quickly made at ease as they have everyone tell their name and where they're from and if they have travelled with Gate 1 before. The majority of cruisers were past Gate 1 clients...and I mean a lot were on their 10th-15th trip with Gate 1. I figured with that kind of loyalty they must be doing something right...and they were.

Very helpful info, thanks!

To any of you who have enjoyed Gate One, do any of their boats have a second dining area, like the Aquavit lounge on Viking, or Captain's Club on the newer Vantage ships?

I really enjoy having a place to eat dinner where it won't take 1-2 hours, and be so loud. Thanks.

Great postings, thank you so much. We are going on our first Gate 1 Amsterdam to Budapest in October. I have been on APT Amsterdam to Budapest and had a great time. Taking along 8 first time river cruisers with me so hope it's as good as it sounds. We are Aussies, don't expect too much and are looking forward to not having to dress up and the relaxed feeling. Have had the glitz and glamour of ocean cruising but don't need it. Please keep posting as you travel along Denny girl as we are on Monarch Baroness.

If you get a chance would you mind posting the length of time you are in each port for me? We like to do our own thing at ports but will go along on the included tours then hopefully have some time after to explore.

Do they have the groups of walkers, fast, average and slow walkers? What if anything do they provide for the very slow walkers? What I am meaning is that on APT at some places they had a mini van to take those with major walking issues to still be transported around the towns. We had a gentleman on 2 sticks who went everywhere and the cruise director or whatever he was called made mention often that he wanted everyone to be able to participate and he ensured they did. Obviously everyone has to be aware of their own limitations and not book a cruise they can't cope with. 2 of our group are ok walkers but both have had knee replacements so a bit slower than mr or mrs average. Either way they will cope but I think if there is a slow walkers group it would suit them better, enabling their partners to go off with the fast walkers.

To any of you who have enjoyed Gate One, do any of their boats have a second dining area, like the Aquavit lounge on Viking, or Captain's Club on the newer Vantage ships?

I really enjoy having a place to eat dinner where it won't take 1-2 hours, and be so loud. Thanks.

There is a second smallish dining area on the Monarch Baroness that costs I think $15 each

Great postings, thank you so much. We are going on our first Gate 1 Amsterdam to Budapest in October. I have been on APT Amsterdam to Budapest and had a great time. Taking along 8 first time river cruisers with me so hope it's as good as it sounds. We are Aussies, don't expect too much and are looking forward to not having to dress up and the relaxed feeling. Have had the glitz and glamour of ocean cruising but don't need it. Please keep posting as you travel along Denny girl as we are on Monarch Baroness.

If you get a chance would you mind posting the length of time you are in each port for me? We like to do our own thing at ports but will go along on the included tours then hopefully have some time after to explore.

Do they have the groups of walkers, fast, average and slow walkers? What if anything do they provide for the very slow walkers? What I am meaning is that on APT at some places they had a mini van to take those with major walking issues to still be transported around the towns. We had a gentleman on 2 sticks who went everywhere and the cruise director or whatever he was called made mention often that he wanted everyone to be able to participate and he ensured they did. Obviously everyone has to be aware of their own limitations and not book a cruise they can't cope with. 2 of our group are ok walkers but both have had knee replacements so a bit slower than mr or mrs average. Either way they will cope but I think if there is a slow walkers group it would suit them better, enabling their partners to go off with the fast walkers.

Hi T J

There are about 20 Aussies on this trip and more younger people than we`ve seen on past Gate 1 tours.

We boarded in Amsterdam about 1 pm and there were sandwiches and cakes if you`d missed lunch.

Times have been tight at the ports but the berths have all been excellent.

Our Amsterdam tour was next morning and consisted of bus tour round, walking tour in centre

and canal ride. The ship left at 1 pm

There`s not a slow or fast group.

We were just told to go to the buses and as each one was filled, it left.

We haven`t really felt slowed by the group and with the whisper system you can

wander away a bit. A few are mobility challenged but they haven`t impacted

on the group and just keep up as best they can.

Cologne We arrived about 1 and left the ship at 1.30 for our included tour

When it finished we wandered round town on our own and found our way back to the ship which left at 10 pm

Koblenz. Docked at 8 am and left for the tour of Marksburg Castle that we had booked.

The downside was the ship left at 12 so there was little time to visit the town and the

confluence monument even though it was 5 minutes away.

Loren the cruise director kindly took us for a quick walk thrugh the town.

Dining tables are mostly 8 or 6 people

Breakfast and lunch are buffet style. Tea and coffee are available in the lounge 24/7

There`s been a bit of dancing in the evening but I guess every sailing is different

Arrived at Rudesheim at 6 pm

Denise

Thank-you for all of the information. My husband and I will be leaving on May 20 for the 14 day Amsterdam to Budapest cruise aboard the Monarch Queen. This is our first European river cruise, but our 5th trip with Gate 1. Never have we felt like we missed out by not taking the more expensive tours. I am hoping that Gate 1 will pull through with flying colors once again.

This has been an interesting thread. Can you book a Gate 1 cruise thru a TA or do you have book directly with the cruise line?
Roz

I have only done one Gate1 - land + Amazon cruise in Peru. I used a US TA. Might vary between booking countries or even between type of trip.

Thom