10PM flight out of FLL

craigtompkins

We will be getting off the ship on Saturday morning using self assist, so we can get off early in Port of Miami. Our flight is out of FLL at 10PM. My thought is to rent a car for the day close to POM and return at FLL airport. Can anyone tell me the closest rental location that does 1 way rentals with returns to FLL?

Additionally, we are looking for ideas on what to do in the area for the day. Is Key Largo close enough for a short visit? Is there anything to really do there? I'd love to visit Key West, but 7 hours of driving round trip is too much.

Key Largo has John Pennekamp but not sure how interesting that would be for you. Also some restaurants and places like Gilbert's, Big Chill, etc. Not sure it's anything you would find all that spectacular or worth the drive, though you may enjoy the tropical island vibe/drive.

There is a million things to do in South Florida, but not sure what you've already done so can't really suggest much. Not sure about rental cars, just call a couple.

We are taking the shuttle from POM to the airport to pick up a car and then dropping it off at FLL for our flight. If you haven't done the water taxi in Fort Lauderdale it is a fun way to spend the day before your flight.

Thanks for those suggestions. I have not spent any time in southern Florida. I've only taken taxis between the FLL and MIA airports and the port of Miami a few times. I usually fly back home the morning we return, but flights were hundreds cheaper for me to wait and fly that late.

So if there is not a lot to do in Key Largo, what about the rest of the upper keys? Any other suggestions around Miami / FLL? I would not mind a beach/snorkeling but a little concerned about cleaning up before getting on the flight. I would not want to get on the plane in my swim suit and sand still between my toes :) As such I'm thinking sightseeing is probably more in line for what we are looking for, but of course seeing the beach is not off the list.

We rented through Thrifty with drop off at FLL. Shuttle pick was across from terminal. It was clearly marked. It was very easy. We parked the car down near Renaissance and did the water taxi. We did the full length and then got off at Los Olas. We had a late lunch and ice cream. Walked around a bit then took taxi back. We drove down to the beach where you watch the ships depart. It was fun. We then headed to airport. We had an earlier flight..8. If we had 10, we would probably have had a nice dinner. You could go to FLL beach or go to Hollywood beach as well for the day.

We will be getting off the ship on Saturday morning using self assist, so we can get off early in Port of Miami. Our flight is out of FLL at 10PM. My thought is to rent a car for the day close to POM and return at FLL airport. Can anyone tell me the closest rental location that does 1 way rentals with returns to FLL?

Additionally, we are looking for ideas on what to do in the area for the day. Is Key Largo close enough for a short visit? Is there anything to really do there? I'd love to visit Key West, but 7 hours of driving round trip is too much.

Florida does not allow surcharges for one way rentals.

Florida does not allow surcharges for one way rentals.

Not true! Most car rental agencies do not charge extra for one-way rentals inside the state, but you may not qualify for their lowest rates on a one-way rental.

National, Alamo, thrifty and enterprise offer free shuttle service between POM and their MIA airport location; if you get a good deal at MIA from someone else the cab fare is $27+tip or you can Uber/Lyft for under $20. Hertz, Avis and others are located in downtown Miami, very close to POM (a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle) but are sometimes overwhelmed with cruise customers -- some reports on this board of very long waits despite having confirmed reservations. I would choose an airport rental top be safe.

Not true! Most car rental agencies do not charge extra for one-way rentals inside the state, but you may not qualify for their lowest rates on a one-way rental.

National, Alamo, thrifty and enterprise offer free shuttle service between POM and their MIA airport location; if you get a good deal at MIA from someone else the cab fare is $27+tip or you can Uber/Lyft for under $20. Hertz, Avis and others are located in downtown Miami, very close to POM (a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle) but are sometimes overwhelmed with cruise customers -- some reports on this board of very long waits despite having confirmed reservations. I would choose an airport rental top be safe.

Not being eligible for the lowest rate is far different from a $100 plus surcharge for not returning your rental car to the original location which is common elsewhere.

An update for anyone that finds this in the future. As of a couple days ago, renting a car near the POM from most rental companies is significantly higher cost than going to the MIA airport. Avis and Budget were $200 more, and that was not dependent on where I was going to return the car. In the end I did Thrifty near the pier with return to FLL. It was $60 more than pickup at MIA airport. I figured the $25 to airport made it $35 difference in price and I was willing to pay that $35 extra to get to the car quicker and start my day in south Florida.

Still don't know what we are going to do, but I'm guessing some sightseeing around the upper keys and more. Still looking for suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure when you go to cruise, so may be to late in my suggestions, but an idea I think is good is to book a tour in Port Everglades. It has the air boat and they offer several excursions with return to the airport. I'd think that could be a wise choice to consider. I am also keen on taking the water taxi for several hours near down town Las Olas area. You could check out a lot that way as well as watch the ships leaving later afternoon!

Feel free to bump up this thread with an update once your trip is finished! I always love it when I know the conclusion.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up for anyone else that finds this. We rented from Thrifty with "free shuttle". The Thrifty shuttle takes you to the MIA airport for your rental. It was cheaper if I had rented from the airport and not done the "free" shuttle. The Thrifty shuttle does not run until 8am, and then only every 45 minutes. The bigger car companies start at 7:30 and run every 30 minutes. Since we were off the ship before 7 and found this out, we took an Uber to the rental location (airport). I wish I had known they were at the airport, I would have just done this since renting at the airport and taking an Uber there would have been cheaper than renting "at the pier" with free shuttle. SMH.

So once we got our car we headed out. We ended up going to Jet Blue Park (Fenway South) in Fort Myers FL. This is where the Red Sox do spring training. Being a Red Sox fan this was great. We were taking pictures thru the fence and were approached by someone on a golf cart who told us he had just unlocked the gate for an afternoon event, to feel free to go inside and take pictures. My DW and I were the only 2 in the stadium and we got to take some good pictures with our phones. If I had known this was going to happen, I would have packed my DSLR.

After a visit here, we went to Sanibel beach for a quick walk, then Captiva beach for a quick peak and then Naples. In Naples we went first to the pier and there were 2 dolphin swimming there, so we ended up staying right there enjoying the weather and the view for longer than we anticipated. After that we drove back to Fort Lauderdale with plans to have dinner. The place we went was packed and the wait was too long, so we ended up just going back to the airport and eating there. BAD CHOICE. The meatball place was out of meatballs, the cuban place was out of pork, the burger place was already closed...you get the picture. We should have stopped at Burger King or something.

Anyway, we did enjoy the day and got to see more than 1 beach on our trip. They all had nice sand, but we were disappointed with the clarity of the water. I guess the Carribbean beaches have us spoiled.

I wanted to follow up for anyone else that finds this. We rented from Thrifty with "free shuttle". The Thrifty shuttle takes you to the MIA airport for your rental. It was cheaper if I had rented from the airport and not done the "free" shuttle. The Thrifty shuttle does not run until 8am, and then only every 45 minutes. The bigger car companies start at 7:30 and run every 30 minutes. Since we were off the ship before 7 and found this out, we took an Uber to the rental location (airport). I wish I had known they were at the airport, I would have just done this since renting at the airport and taking an Uber there would have been cheaper than renting "at the pier" with free shuttle. SMH.

So once we got our car we headed out. We ended up going to Jet Blue Park (Fenway South) in Fort Myers FL. This is where the Red Sox do spring training. Being a Red Sox fan this was great. We were taking pictures thru the fence and were approached by someone on a golf cart who told us he had just unlocked the gate for an afternoon event, to feel free to go inside and take pictures. My DW and I were the only 2 in the stadium and we got to take some good pictures with our phones. If I had known this was going to happen, I would have packed my DSLR.

After a visit here, we went to Sanibel beach for a quick walk, then Captiva beach for a quick peak and then Naples. In Naples we went first to the pier and there were 2 dolphin swimming there, so we ended up staying right there enjoying the weather and the view for longer than we anticipated. After that we drove back to Fort Lauderdale with plans to have dinner. The place we went was packed and the wait was too long, so we ended up just going back to the airport and eating there. BAD CHOICE. The meatball place was out of meatballs, the cuban place was out of pork, the burger place was already closed...you get the picture. We should have stopped at Burger King or something.

Anyway, we did enjoy the day and got to see more than 1 beach on our trip. They all had nice sand, but we were disappointed with the clarity of the water. I guess the Carribbean beaches have us spoiled.

Holy cow. You drove all the way to the west coast for the day? 4+ hours driving! I didn't expect that, but happy you had a good time.