Please help me finally decide a Miami hotel!

andie717

I've been doing a lot of searching, thinking, planning and probably more over-thinking. We are flying into FLL on 3/31/18 for a 4/1 cruise out of Miami. "We" are husband, myself and 2 daughters, 11 and 14. Our flight out of MKE is early and has a connection, so it will be a long day. We land at FLL at 1:30 pm. Our only real plan for Saturday was to hang out, soak in the sun, at some point buy wine for the cruise, and get dinner. Had thought about visiting Bayside Marketplace for the afternoon/evening? But play to be in bed early... I'm sure my girls would love to swim, maybe shop a bit. Trying to do this on a budget. Thus, these are my 3 choices:

• Currently booked ($267), but cancellable, is DoubleTree Biscayne Bay. It is a 2 bed balcony bay view room. Seems to have the best pool at that price point? Breakfast not included.
  • Miami Brickell Hampton Inn ($243). I've read a lot of good things, breakfast included. Pool looks small. Looks like the area would be nice but not on the water, if I understand it correctly?
  • Holiday Inn Port of Miami ($273). Stayed here many, many years ago. Liked the convenience to Bayside, but does not include breakfast and seems to be the lowest rated? Pool seems comparable to Hampton...

If there is something else at the under $300 price point, that you'd recommend, I'm also open. I'm starting to lean towards the Hampton, but the balcony of the DoubleTree keeps me returning.

Thanks for any input!

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn. Very nice hotel, friendly arms helpful staff and comfortable room. The pool is definitely on the small side. Area is very walkable and a fair amount of shopping. Breakfast was a nice touch, nothing spectacular but a lot better than the typical muffin and oj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing a lot of searching, thinking, planning and probably more over-thinking. We are flying into FLL on 3/31/18 for a 4/1 cruise out of Miami. "We" are husband, myself and 2 daughters, 11 and 14. Our flight out of MKE is early and has a connection, so it will be a long day. We land at FLL at 1:30 pm. Our only real plan for Saturday was to hang out, soak in the sun, at some point buy wine for the cruise, and get dinner. Had thought about visiting Bayside Marketplace for the afternoon/evening? But play to be in bed early... I'm sure my girls would love to swim, maybe shop a bit. Trying to do this on a budget. Thus, these are my 3 choices:

• Currently booked ($267), but cancellable, is DoubleTree Biscayne Bay. It is a 2 bed balcony bay view room. Seems to have the best pool at that price point? Breakfast not included.
  • Miami Brickell Hampton Inn ($243). I've read a lot of good things, breakfast included. Pool looks small. Looks like the area would be nice but not on the water, if I understand it correctly?
  • Holiday Inn Port of Miami ($273). Stayed here many, many years ago. Liked the convenience to Bayside, but does not include breakfast and seems to be the lowest rated? Pool seems comparable to Hampton...

If there is something else at the under $300 price point, that you'd recommend, I'm also open. I'm starting to lean towards the Hampton, but the balcony of the DoubleTree keeps me returning.

Thanks for any input!

If you belong to the Hilton Honors program you can get the Hampton Inn down to $215 for the night for the 4 of you under their MVP code. The Hampton Inn is in a great area but is not on the water. It's a few blocks away.

Since you aren't going to be there for long and won't spend much time on the balcony, i would go wit the Hampton Inn. The pool is small but it's nice. The area is great and you can walk to a lot. Plus you get a free breakfast.

By the time you get your suitcases and get down to Miami, you are looking at probably the 3:30 range. Doesn't leave too much time to do too many things after you check in. Brickell Citi Centre is a few blocks away and you can walk around there and window shop. You can also take either the free trolley or the free metro mover to Bayside to shop. Plenty of restaurants here locally by your hotel to grab dinner.

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn. Very nice hotel, friendly arms helpful staff and comfortable room. The pool is definitely on the small side. Area is very walkable and a fair amount of shopping. Breakfast was a nice touch, nothing spectacular but a lot better than the typical muffin and oj

I'm glad to hear that it's still a nice hotel. My son arrives from Hawaii today for Thanksgiving and my parents from NY tomorrow. I went back and forth between the Hampton Inn and the JW Marriott for him and his girlfriend for 2 nights once she gets here and decided upon the Hampton Inn for them.

I am familiar with all the properties and I would go with the Hampton Inn. It's not a full service hotel but it is a nice property with the breakfast included.

Hampton Inn is the furthest of the three from Bayside but it's only about a 30 minute walk.

Just a suggestion much closer to the Hampton Inn is Mary Brickell Village with some stores and lots of restaurants and also grocery store and pharmacy and just around the corner from that location is Brickell Centre which is only about a year old and has lots of shopping and restaurants. I recommend all of this over Bayside.

Keith

Hampton Inn is a good location & easy trip to Bayside on the free trolley or metro mover

There are restaurants near the hotel & Publix within walking distance

Did not notice many in the pool area when we were there but that can change

Personal choice I guess

I'm glad to hear that it's still a nice hotel. My son arrives from Hawaii today for Thanksgiving and my parents from NY tomorrow. I went back and forth between the Hampton Inn and the JW Marriott for him and his girlfriend for 2 nights once she gets here and decided upon the Hampton Inn for them.

I'm easy to please. All I want from a hotel when I travel is a clean room, and comfortable bed that I'm not afraid to sleep under the sheets. The rest is all optional.

I call tell you that in my life I've booked some "high end" hotels that didn't meet that criteria.

We're booking a family cruise for next Dec and unless I decide to book something in South Beach, I know the hotel at least is already chosen.

You won't have much time to lay by the pool anyway, I would book Hamptom Inn for the best location. You can easily visit Bayside if you wish its a 25-30min walk or a 10-15min Metromover Ride (free). Also its right there in the middle of Brickell tons of places to eat, shop, drink etc.. Its a great location. I highly suggest eating around there instead of Bayside. But Bayside is a nice spot to check out, enjoy the view and see the shops, that are a mix of national retailers, local shops, and local touristy shops.

Good call cancelling the Doubletree. Not the best location for families and the water view does not make up for it.

From either the Doubletree or Hampton Inn you could take the free Metromover to Bayside if you wish. But there is plenty within walking distance of the Hampton, unlike the Doubletree where you will be pretty much trapped for the night.

And personally I find Doubletree overrated and overpriced compared to the other Hilton family properties. Yes the soft furnishings and bathrooms are a grade (or more) better than Hampton Inn's. But breakfast is not included and internet access is only without charge for pre-existing Hilton Honors members (you must give your HH number when booking; my experience is they will not look it up for you at check-in). Guess Doubletree is more for the expense-account traveler.