ATT cell service from the ship in Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta?

bobcharli

Hi all,

I'm on the Ruby Princess starting this Friday. I am debating between on-board wifi versus just using ATT Day Pass while at port. Does anyone know whether you can get decent ATT wireless signal from the ship while docked in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta? I don't think we will actually get off the ship as we've been to the ports several times.

Thanks!

Yes, your AT&T phone should hook up fine to the local cellular provider in all those cities and you can use your day pass as well.

Just be sure your phone is really connected to the Mexican provider and not still to the ship's "tower". If the ship is in range of any land-based tower, the ship's service is supposed to go off-line.

In my experience though, a couple of times this has not been the case. I went to the passenger services desk and complained where the agent said I was mistaken. I insisted they call and sure enough, the system had not automatically turned off.

We have always received excellent cell reception while in PV and Cabo San Lucas. Check with AT&T for the costs as they can be quite expensive.

The International Day Pass is $10 per 24 hour period. Not expensive. Some plans (higher GB plans) Mexico is considered local roaming just like anywhere in the US. Check your plan.

The reception is fine in all 3 ports.

The International Day Pass is $10 per 24 hour period. Not expensive. Some plans (higher GB plans) Mexico is considered local roaming just like anywhere in the US. Check your plan.

The reception is fine in all 3 ports.

I agree. Used mine in Cozumel and was not charged on our T-mobile account.

Hi all,

I'm on the Ruby Princess starting this Friday. I am debating between on-board wifi versus just using ATT Day Pass while at port. Does anyone know whether you can get decent ATT wireless signal from the ship while docked in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta? I don't think we will actually get off the ship as we've been to the ports several times.

Thanks!

Depending on your regular AT&T plan, there may be no roaming charges at all for Mexico. However, you'll need to pay attention to the network choices (set your phone to manual network selection) and make sure that top bar says the local AT&T partner network (listed on the AT&T international website) or choose the right one from the list in network settings in that location. This would also be true if you don't have free roaming there and need to purchase an extra plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have AT&T as well. My unlimited data plan includes talk and data in Canada and Mexico as part of my plan. You'll see the carrier as "AT&T MX". I have more bars in Mexico than I have at my house!

Yes, your AT&T phone should hook up fine to the local cellular provider in all those cities and you can use your day pass as well.

Just be sure your phone is really connected to the Mexican provider and not still to the ship's "tower". If the ship is in range of any land-based tower, the ship's service is supposed to go off-line.

In my experience though, a couple of times this has not been the case. I went to the passenger services desk and complained where the agent said I was mistaken. I insisted they call and sure enough, the system had not automatically turned off.

You left out one essential item. In order to take advantage of any AT&T free Mexico roaming attached to your plan or otherwise purchased as an add on international pass or plan, the local network needs to be AT&T or one of it's international partners (listed on the AT&T international website - by country).

To be safe, change your phone settings to manually select networks and then you'll get a pop up screen showing every network that is available.

Ultimately, your connection network will display across the top of your cell phone along with signal strength. Make sure it says AT&T or one of the partners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums