Alaska dream holiday any advice

Jmcdonald85

Hi everyone,

we are looking at booking an Alaska land and cruise package through Princess Cruises for ourselves and our 6 year old son.

However, we can't decide between the Denali Explorer package or the Connoisseur Tour onboard Royal Princess

Also best month June, July or Aug? Top of the list to see are whales (orcas), bears and moose.

THANK YOU for any advice

Hi everyone,

we are looking at booking an Alaska land and cruise package through Princess Cruises for ourselves and our 6 year old son.

However, we can't decide between the Denali Explorer package or the Connoisseur Tour onboard Royal Princess

Also best month June, July or Aug? Top of the list to see are whales (orcas), bears and moose.

THANK YOU for any advice

Didn't do the tours as I rented a car for 10 days and did a DIY covering 2000 miles before boarding our cruise ship. I arrived in mid-July and did have a day of pouring rain and some overcast skies but our cruise departed on 7/31 and the weather was awesome. We saw tons of bear on the bus out to Eilson (sp?) and several moose. We didn't go on any whale watching expeditions so can't comment to that either. Mostly, we thought that was a great time to go.

Bottom line for us was that all advice we got was not what we experienced.

We went in late August and were told that it would be rainy then. We had one day of "mist," and no rain the entire trip. It was 70s on most days and the only time that was "cold" was in the glaciers.

We saw every animal on my daughter's list except one and I don't remember what that was.

Whale watching in Juneau we saw humpback and orca. We saw a mother bear and cubs at Mendenhall glacier park. In Ketchikan there were bears along the side of the road. Eagles were everywhere as were salmon. Tons of animals were everywhere.

Funny thing, we went to Totem Bight in Ketchikan which I rather thought was not a highlight of the trip. Years later, my daughter commented on "that neat place with all the totem poles." You never know what will stick with them! This was an "on our own." Park is free, bus is something like $2, and there are volunteer guides. There are also guide maps and you can go on your own. The only difference I could see between "on our own" and the ship's tour was that they got hot chocolate at the gift shop.

Take layers and plan to dress that way. We booked excursions thru shoretrips.com--very nice, small groups.

Hi everyone,

THANK YOU for any advice

Hi

We did a Connoisseur Tour with Princess a few years ago late July/early August. Weather was perfect and sea calm. Tour started Fairbanks 2 nights/Denali 2 nights/Mt McKinley two nights then 7 night cruise to Vancouver. We found the tour section more hectic than the cruise so was pleased to do the cruise last. Also two nights in each place was great too. With the Connoisseur tour all meals were included so it was good to be given vouchers and not have to worry about paying each time. Itinerary and meals were great and we saw bears and moose in the wild, some a bit too close for comfort but very exciting. We also saw lots of whale on the cruise albeit at a distance. Overall the trip was fantastic and would highly recommend. It was our ever first cruise and was on Pacific Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only you can decide if the extra cost for food vouchers and a "guide" are worth it for you vs. paying what you want (& where you want) for food on the land portion. Also, itinerary for both land & cruise, as well as which ship may also be a factor for you.

I agree with doing the land part first!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I would consider a do it yourself with a 6 year old. Rent a car and go at your own speed. This gives you more flexibility to do more kid friendly actives. Seward AK has a lot for kids his age.