Bringing wine on embarkation day question

dis2cruise

can I place it in my suitcase or do I need to carry it with me?

I always carry on our two bottles. Even if you wrap the wine carefully, they can be broken and you have a huge mess. I had a coffee mug in my suitcase that I wrapped carefully, still got broken. They really throw around the suitcases.

We have done both, but mostly we buy some in port and put it in our carry on. Typically our carry ons are full but I do travel with a few of those reusable grocery type fabric bags and we each put one of those around the wine and stack it on top of the luggage when we roll in.

We have also packed wine in our suitcase (usually on the way home) using one of those styrofoam wine holders that we get with wine shipments to the house. I put that in a large zip lock bag for extra protection. They can toss the suitcase all they want - it's not going to break in those.

We carry on to avoid a trip to pick up our suitcase. Once we flew in day of and I prepackaged the wine in my suitcase in a tote, and had it bubble wrapped and in two large zip locks that I duct taped closed. Had they broken they wouldn't have damaged my clothes. When we landed I quickly opened my suitcase and grabbed the bag out to carry on. If we stay in port overnight, we grab then and re-arrange our carry on to have room if we want to carry on.

We normally put the wine in our carry-on. The 1 time we didnt we returned from muster & only only 1 suitcase bag had been delivered, but they were still delivering bags. By 6:15 no bag & everything for our deck had been delivered. Guest services sent us to security, sure enough our bag was being held because of the bottles.

Got our suitcase & wine with a reminder that we should bring our bottles of wine onboard in our carry-on. YMMV

Celebrity actually requires you to carry it on. I know that many people have put it in their checked luggage, but I also know of many people who then had to retrieve their luggage from security onboard after sailing. Why not just carry it on and not take the chance of your bag going missing? Not a fun way to start your vacation.