First post and first family cruise FOS 9/20/15

Hi everybody have been a lurker for awhile and finally signed up after booking our first family cruise and first cruise for us in 20 years! (honeymoon last cruise) the other day!

Still have 451 days to go lol :) but figured I have alot to learn , since I imagine ALOT has changed in 20 years...

So please give a newbie your best Tip that you wished someone would have told you... whether it be about the ship, food, excursions (Eastern) don't foget to bring etc anything... I am starting a file of notes etc

My kids will range in age from 6-16 any tips for them as well?

I am sure I will have a lot of questions over the next year.

Thanks so much!

Research your ports...that's the best way to get the most from your time ashore. Libraries have guidebooks!

Aside from the quality of the food and tableware, you'll find the experience about the same as 20 years ago. Prices have gone up, there are more "for a fee" options...that's about it!

The younger kids will have a blast in AO....the older teens usually simply meet others the 1st night, then do their own thing most of the time.

You don't need anything special for a cruise that you wouldn't need for a land vacation to the same area!

Edited by cb at sea

Pack everything you believe you need to take and then remove 2/3 of it and leave it home.

Don't try to see every show, go to every talk, take part in every activity. There is so much to do that you will forget to relax.

Those are my top two for new cruisers, enjoy the anticipation and planning but enjoy the cruise even more. Freedom is a phenomenal ship and Eastern is the way to go so well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just went on our first family cruise last October, and everyone is so right about only packing half of what you think you'll need. I thought I under packed & still had more than necessary.

Also, if your teens are interested in the teen club, have them go the first night for the mingle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Enjoy the planning of your cruise, ask questions, but don't get bogged down by too much planning and detail. Here's the link to your sailing's Roll Call. Check it out, and sign up for your Meet & Mingle, which you will be able to do when you are one year out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2043983

Don't overpack with clothes. You really don't need that much. ;)

Amen, now with baggage restrictions, more people are learning how to pack more effectively.

To the Original Poster (OP) Welcome to the forum. There are over a million users here and 99% are helpful people! Then there is the very visible 1%. Find your roll call and you will probably find a bunch of helpful people who are on your same cruise. Search out a thread called EVERYTHING FREEDOM OF THE SEAS. That thread is years old and has lots of great info and pics from that ship.

We took our first family cruise last year on Freedom, eastern. We loved it so much we are doing the same thing again next year. :)

Definitely have your teen go to the 1st night of the teen club. That is when they meet their new friends.

Ditto on the packing!

My DD10 and DS17 along with my husband and I really enjoyed Bernard's Tour in St. Maarten. I highly recommend it. You get a variety of the island. 2 beaches including Maho and Orient (we were way down on the clothing side and never saw any nudity)

Sign all the releases for activities online before you sail.

If you can swing it, get two connecting rooms. Put the kids in one room and you and your wife in the other. You will be close enough to keep tabs on them, but at the end of the day - the door can be closed for some privacy. :o

Not to mention the peace it will give you not tripping over each other all week long. The cabins are much smaller than a standard hotel room AND you will have another bathroom!

Have fun!

Thank you all so much! I will definitely look into the roll call link.. and do some more research about the ship itself.. already started looking at the excursions :)

we did get 2 adjoining rooms as we have 5 kids (so no privacy for us lol) inside aft deck 8..

Thanks again! keep the tips coming :)

Annette

Enjoy the ride........the anticipation is 1/2 the fun.

The time will fly by and you'll be there soon!

I know alot of people like the pre cruise hotel stay, but personally i like the post cruise hotel stay. Especially in

port canaveral at a hotel on the beach near ron jons and cocoa beach surf club. It's fun and takes the sting

out of having the cruise just ended. I drive to the port, so

it's easy for me though.