Review - Empress of the Seas - Cuba May 20-25, 2017

Royal Caribbean describes the walking tour in the following way: "Discover Havanas captivating history and cultural charms on a half-day adventure that includes a guided walking tour through the city’s old quarter. Alongside your informative guide, head out on foot along the cobblestone streets of Old Havana, where you’ll explore four of the district’s iconic squares: Plaza San Francisco de Asis is known for its white marble lion-featured fountain; Plaza de Armas is Havana’s oldest square, dating back to the late 1700s; Plaza Vieja vaunts eclectic architecture; and Plaza de la Catedral is home to one of the oldest cathedrals in the Americas. To add some flavor to the day, you’ll stop by the Melia Cohiba or Melia Habana for a tasting of Habanos and Cuban Rum which will include the lighting ceremony of the Tobacco."

The guide welcomed everybody at the exit of the cruise terminal and from there we made our way across the street to Plaza San Francisco.

21c389c8e104db4268ffa5379a52e2bc.jpg

During the next few hours, we would wander through the different plazas while getting a lot of information but the guide kept it interesting. After his explanations in each plaza, we had 10-15 minutes of free time to look around.

2b18b09c85d8613c596ebef0cd81b9e4.jpg

4964ec3e63492d5f5730fdc58c8335fd.jpg

8b7e9490321bbbb79c7aaa6843947a01.jpg

98c5013262f8e43e9a956902ee72e795.jpg

c5b4d94879a18d29f047df8f9bd91e2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW, fabulous pictures. You do have an eye for it. Love the Pink car against the old building.

If it were mine, I would print and frame that one.

Thanks for posting.

The picture with the pink car is actually my favorite one from the entire trip. [emoji3]

We actually went to the Grand Theatre of Havana for the rum and cigar tasting, which wasn't for me since I don't drink or smoke so I went outside to take some pictures.

c0210e5ee0c01893adbbbaebe56a4c97.jpg

90b724add78067452a5c9ca8a19132e5.jpg

2a8a0040f60c51adf8ca0a7d0f0f3cdf.jpg

e4067c2402ba7dfbbf75ab071f38a3fc.jpg

After everybody else had finished their purchases, there was another stop at a rum store but then we made our way to the Plaza de la Revolucion- a request from some of the other people on the tour and it was great that the tour guide/ bus driver showed so much flexibility.

e3766eaad28deeb28215eea65d29b705.jpg

435b077427b31dd7d1eb100145b34c74.jpg

We were dropped off at the cruise terminal but I still wanted to go back into Old Havana to take some more pictures. During the walking tour, I had also seen a guy selling churros on one of the street corners. I found him pretty quick and a few seconds later, I had a full bag of hot churros in my hand- delicious.

c20d24d41c1c9872fdbb0f2bead28fd0.jpg

83abf748edf7645f209d31d6f0f39dce.jpg

5dda57d81dcbc58b183f53f4b8e8c8b6.jpg

cf9a9f69a94f1aae01d48e754c54a93e.jpg

After (unsuccessfully) trying to finish the churros, I made my way back to the ship. On the way back, everybody had to go through the scanners and immigration again and everybody was welcomed back to the ship with cold towels and water.

We left the port around 5pm and besides having dinner, I didn't do much.

It was a beautiful day with some many impressions and while my expectations had been high, they were definitely fulfilled and probably even exceeded.

I felt very safe walking around, the people were friendly and it was just a great day!

c9810c7ecb63f446d217bfadf1c3eecc.jpg

16f1ea1c67f37e71db754b80129d8edf.jpg

Day 3 - May 22, 2017 - Havana, Cuba

During the Q&A session the day before, it was mentioned that we would sail into Havana around 6am. So today would be the only day during this whole cruise where I set the alarm. When I went up to the forward outside deck, it was still dark outside but the sun was slowly rising over the horizon.

It was a beautiful sail in and we finally reached the dock a little before 7am.

ffff77db32a282f533445968fc48834c.jpg

537f3024bef94d8fc47cc15305ac59d9.jpg

808a34f314288f0139ae3a84aa68a00d.jpg

e62f620e4430c1a54b91378fe792aaa2.jpg

Everybody had to go through scanners like at the airport and put all their belongings through an X-ray machine and then it was off to the currency exchange. There were plenty of booths open and transactions were handled quickly.

Did you happen to notice if they had agents to pat down people who are not allowed to go thru scanners due to pacemakers? My doctor told me not to go thru scanners but to request a pat down.

I must tell you that your photos are the most awesome I have seen on Cruise Critic since I joined years ago. What make/model iPhone are you using? The photos are simply breathtaking. I/We have been to Key West many times over the years and I never saw things in the same light as you. Great job.

Did you happen to notice if they had agents to pat down people who are not allowed to go thru scanners due to pacemakers? My doctor told me not to go thru scanners but to request a pat down.

I must tell you that your photos are the most awesome I have seen on Cruise Critic since I joined years ago. What make/model iPhone are you using? The photos are simply breathtaking. I/We have been to Key West many times over the years and I never saw things in the same light as you. Great job.

Re: the scanners- the people manning the scanners were pretty friendly so I am sure they will accommodate you if you request a pat down.

I am using the iPhone 7- it's so much more convenient than a regular camera.

Are your required to be on a tour to enter the country, or can you get off the ship and explore on your own?

No, you are not required to go on a tour. At the time of check-in in Tampa, they request to see a signed affidavit that you do a "self-guided people-to-people exchange program" (if you don't go on a tour and this is obviously a pretty general description). The affidavit can be found on the RCL website.

However, nobody wanted to see any proof of what I was doing either in Cuba or coming back to the US.

If I remember correctly, there were a few hundred people that did not participate in any ship-sponsored excursion- not sure if they organized their own tours or just walked around though but it is definitely possible.

Day 4 - May 23, 2017 - Cozumel, Mexico

Just a couple of weeks before the trip, I had booked the "Mayan Ruins and Island Overview" excursion because I had never been to Cozumel before and wanted to see something else than the beach.

When we arrived, it was very hot and humid.

3ccb20d4027aec08b63f6c078d46f87a.jpg

e58533572a5f36f84af6eaf881c1af03.jpg

The excursion met at the end of the pier and after waiting for probably 15min, we were on our way to the Mayan ruins. The guide gave good explanations but the ruins itself were not that spectacular so combined with the intense heat, it wasn't the greatest experience.

5333b318c5874be54d52d2db2928d5f2.jpg

After the ruins, we made a quick stop at a beach where you could buy some refreshments and then we went to a chocolate factory. Unfortunately I had forgotten to bring any money because otherwise I am sure I would have bought some chocolate- it looked delicious.

309c4b7aec025ee1b54c540ca41a86ae.jpg

f9eadbe9211a6d11caf9c01a432bc7b6.jpg

53886131f185fce0040f088ea2e28d34.jpg

It was back to the ship afterwards- dinner and just enjoying the evening was next and last on the agenda for today.

Day 5 - May 24, 2017 - at sea

A day of doing nothing but reading, watching movies and starring out onto the sea. At one point during the afternoon, it also meant starting to run from the rain that would start. That resulted in a bit of rocking and rolling during the night but nothing too bad.

384a40075aefa4e6fadd09911ff25e47.jpg

d17acac824841a0cae50e7303835cfbc.jpg

78590e0eeee06df6f2cee0f802cfbbca.jpg

Day 6 - May 25, 2017

Tampa, FL - Washington DC

When I woke up around 6am, we hadn't reached Tampa yet so there was no need to rush. I only brought a carry on but when I can back from breakfast, the self-assist line was already pretty long so I quickly gathered all my stuff and waited patiently.

It was probably about 45 minutes until I reached one of the five available CBP officers but without questions asked I was able to enter the US and made my way to the airport.

Many flights were delayed which left a lot of unhappy people when I boarded my (on time) flight to D.C.

Due to some weather in the area, the flight almost lasted three hours instead of two and the captain apologized for taking us on a tour of Virginia.

2847d026e7655c6e72c8250ffad0a6dc.jpg

792a469b27f1f6e67cbbb255e735db9a.jpg

Another great vacation came to an end and even though I had a few concerns about the ship, I had a great time and was surprised in a very positive way.

The ship was maintained very well, staff members were friendly and of course the main reason for taking the trip was Havana, which was a great experience! I'm sure that I will return to Havana in the future as there is much more to discover.

How was it going thru customs when getting off of the ship

US Customs? The officer asked me if I was bringing anything back, swiped my passport and that was it. 30 second process.

It takes longer when coming back through an airport.

Do you know if a guest is allowed to enter Cuba and return to the U.S. with a passport, which expires less than 6 months from entry and return?

For Cuba, your passport has to be valid six months after the day of travel to Cuba.

To return to the US, your passport just needs to be valid.

Thanks for the great in depth review. We just got off the Empress but I'm thinking of booking this cruise for the late fall (when it cools down a couple of degrees down there!)

Saw that you will be writing a review- can't wait to read it.

And yes, definitely wait till it cools down- being sweaty all the time is no fun :D

For Cuba, your passport has to be valid six months after the day of travel to Cuba.

To return to the US, your passport just needs to be valid.

Thanks for the info!