Livorno to Lucca

Hrcfan

The two most common options are train or private car service, which is better for you depends on what you value in this situation. The car service is certainly the easiest but it's also the most expensive.

The train requires a change at Pisa. There is also a bus option but this too requires a change along the way.

The train is a very inexpensive and easy to use option. You would have a change of trains in Pisa and the cost per person, r/t, should be about 11 euros.

Trenitalia website: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

From port, I prefer a taxi to the train station as it conserves valuable time. The taxi drivers at port are usually looking for the longer, more expensive fares to Florence/Pisa but if you are persistent, you should be able to secure a taxi (you might also find some mates on your ship to share the cost of the taxi).

There is also a shuttle from port to town (there is a fee) and from town, you can take the city bus to the train station. This option comes with the downside of more time lost.

As said above, private transport from the pier to Lucca would be the easier but more expensive option - if you have the funds, go for it.

We've taken the train to Lucca from Livorno, changing trains in Pisa but not going into see Pisa.

This fall we'll be there on a Sunday and thought the trains may not run as often. We're travelling with friends this time and booked transportation with tuscany bus dot com (email your reservation now, you can pay on the bus) with several hours of free time in each place. This isn't a guided tour but there could be a rep on the bus with maps.

You'll still need to take the ship's shuttle to the ship's regular drop-off point in Livorno to catch the 'tuscany bus'. Otherwise, it's door-to-door delivery to both Pisa and Lucca without stress, and back to the drop-off point. Email Ariana, she's great in replying.

Lucca is absolutely charming... be sure to have a drink in the 'round' square, lol... Piazza Anfiteatro, followed by gelato from a small shop on the 'round'.;) Also climb the Guinigi Tower that has spectacular views!

We've taken the train to Lucca from Livorno, changing trains in Pisa but not going into see Pisa.

This fall we'll be there on a Sunday and thought the trains may not run as often.

You are right about that. Between 8 AM - 10 AM Monday - Saturday there are five connections from Livorno to Lucca, only two of those (8:12 and 9:19) also run on Sundays.

Just did that trip on May 15 . Livorno to Lucca with a stop in Pisa en route. Taxi at shipside costs 25 euros to train station so if you can find other pax to share that would be nice. Otherwise our ship provided free shuttle to center of town; same place to be picked up for return to port. From there you can take a bus for 2 euro to the train station but all that takes time so budget your schedule accordingly. By taxi we were able to make the 0852 train that also goes to Florence btw, got off at Pisa Centrale, changed trains and got off at Pisa S. Rossore, saw the Leaning Tower, got the train at Pisa Rossore, got off at Lucca, looked around, had lunch, came back the same way. Took the bus back from the station to town center, got on the shuttle back to port. 11 euros RT train lets you get off at Pisa either en route to, or on the way back from Lucca. Tickets availabe at the Livorno train station. They take credit cards. Don't forget to stamp your ticket BEFORE you board just in case the conductor may ask. The conductor never even asked to see our tickets.

Since somebody mentioned Lucca on a Sunday we will expand on that topic. There is a good reason why there are fewer trains (to Lucca) on Sundays. An awful lot of Lucca is closed! Outdoor cafes and many restaurants will be open and the walls are open for those that want to walk or ride around the top of the walls. But a majority of the shops are closed..which really is a bummer.....especially for shoppers. On Sundays, when we are in Italy, we try to find places that thrive on Sundays. For example, the villages of Cinque Terre are very busy on Sundays (and every other day) with most shops open for business. Florence also is mostly Open on Sundays. But a majority of Italian cities and towns become very quiet on Sundays....and Monday mornings.

Hank

That's when I should go to Lucca! I've been there several times, in summer, fall, winter and spring but never on a Sunday. Although Lucca is lovely and has much to recommend it, I generally leave feeling like I've just been to a huge outdoor shopping mall. I'd probably like it a lot better when the stores are closed.

That's when I should go to Lucca! I've been there several times, in summer, fall, winter and spring but never on a Sunday. Although Lucca is lovely and has much to recommend it, I generally leave feeling like I've just been to a huge outdoor shopping mall. I'd probably like it a lot better when the stores are closed.

My thoughts exactly. That sounds like a perfect time to go. You see the same sites but with fewer people to get in your way. You would also probably get better service in the cafes/restaurants too.

If you are able to catch a free shuttle from the cruise ship to downtown Livorno, it's a pleasant walk to the train station from there.

I think that most ships now charge for the shuttle service (other than the higher end, all inclusive lines).

The shuttles drop off near Piazza Municipio in Livorno, which is one and a half miles on foot from the train station at Piazza Dante. It's not a bad walk, flat and with sidewalks the entire way, but if you're going to be walking all day at your destination it may not be the way you want to start the morning.

We went to Lucca by train last year. Tom's port guide was decently spot on for this trek. But, as always with Tom's guides double check locations for cruise ship shuttle drop off and bus locations...his guides are not a commercial venture, so they are not updated. He does have links and the necessary maps and pictures to help you along though if things have changed.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/livorno-09-25-2013.pdf

Thank you. I had never heard of Tom's guides.

As I said, always double check his information, but on the whole he is generally very good with logistics and links to the actual timetables. In Marseilles, his ship shuttle information was wrong for our ship. We had taken a taxi to the bus station to get to Aix. But, on return our plan was to walk around Marseille and shuttle back. We had a hard time finding the shuttle location.

For smaller towns, such as Lucca, his guide on what to see will be fine. But, for larger cities such as Rome and Florence, you are perhaps best to couple his logistics with a true guide book such as Rick Steves.

• 4 weeks later...
I plan to use TuscanyBus for $28eu in October. It leaves from the shuttle drop off and gives you 3 hours in Lucca and 1.5 hours in Pisa before returning to Livorno.

Could you please tell me about the shuttle you took to catch the Tuscany Bus to Florence? I called Norwegian, and the person on the phone didn't think Norwegian provides a shuttle.

Thanks.

Floridagal07

Could you please tell me about the shuttle you took to catch the Tuscany Bus to Florence? I called Norwegian, and the person on the phone didn't think Norwegian provides a shuttle.

Thanks.

Floridagal07

NCL will provide a shuttle to the Livorno town plaza for a fee. It was $5 the last time but I can't confirm what it is now.