day pass at a hotel vs public beach for cruise day

bellebud

We'll be on the Explorer in July, docking in Kings Warf from 8am to 4pm on a Saturday (don't know if that makes a difference).

Myself, dh, dd14 and ds13. So far, not doing a cruise excursion. I think just looking for a nice beach day. Was going to go to horseshoe bay, have been there once for a few hours (from a cruise). Never thought about a day pass at a hotel until I just read it in another post. That might be something we'd like.

What's the nicest hotel we could get a day pass for? Restaurant, maybe pool, nice beach, restrooms, etc.

Coco Reef Resort is the only hotel that still offers all these amenities. You must make reservations ahead, but your credit card is not charged until you arrive. I know they offer the day passes during the week - not sure of the weekends. The cost is $59 per person including all of the above.

I had high hopes for Coco Reef but was disappointed. We booked a party of 8 and checked in. They gave us towels and that was it. No explanation of anything. Didn't even point us towards the beach. We all had to sit separately on two different levels of the beach. Beach is unswimmable and small. Took a long time before anyone came to offer drinks (they were $12 btw). Lunch was tasty but loooong and waitress was unpleasant. On the bright side, beach is beautiful and pool was nice and not crowded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

It just depends on what you want to do and if expense is part of the equation. I did it last year with my adult daughter - the lunch was good (at that time it was 3 course + glass of wine) and it worked out well because there were sporadic showers and we could take cover at the resort. This year, however, we just went to public beaches and had a great time. It was fine for a one-time visit, but I probably would not go again.

I had high hopes for Coco Reef but was disappointed. We booked a party of 8 and checked in. They gave us towels and that was it. No explanation of anything. Didn't even point us towards the beach. We all had to sit separately on two different levels of the beach. Beach is unswimmable and small. Took a long time before anyone came to offer drinks (they were $12 btw). Lunch was tasty but loooong and waitress was unpleasant. On the bright side, beach is beautiful and pool was nice and not crowded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

What makes the beach "unswimmable"? Too shallow? Rocky?

I didn't find the beach unswimmable; we swam.

Don't remember what lunch was last June. Think I had a burger and glass of wine.

We will be there for the day again in August so I'll report back once I'm back.

Note it can take them a day or 2 to respond to your email about getting the day pass. While you can just show up, I prefer to set it up in advance.

The cab ride last June was about $40 each way to the resort from the ship.

Edited by mizlorinj

I didn't find the beach unswimmable; we swam.

Don't remember what lunch was last June. Think I had a burger and glass of wine.

We will be there for the day again in August so I'll report back once I'm back.

Note it can take them a day or 2 to respond to your email about getting the day pass. While you can just show up, I prefer to set it up in advance.

The cab ride last June was about $40 each way to the resort from the ship.

Thanks Lori -- Cab sounds a bit steep for two people. DH and I are going to use the ferry/bus system to get around. Did you notice how far the resort was from the nearest bus stop?

.....I'm going to CoCo Reef in September for the day. What if we took a ferry to Hamilton, how much would a cab ride be then from Hamilton to the resort?

I will also wait for the answer to the previous question about what bus to take.

wasiii

Last August we took the #7 bus from Dockyards, I don't remember how long it took. We walked from the bus stop which is at the beginning of the CoCo Reef's drive. It was an uphill walk - another couple was also on the bus with us - definitely doable.

Edited by cruisintwinsmom

Thanks Lori -- Cab sounds a bit steep for two people. DH and I are going to use the ferry/bus system to get around. Did you notice how far the resort was from the nearest bus stop?

Two years ago we took the bus to Coco Reef. The stop is right at the university...not too far past Horseshoe Bay. There is a long walk down to the hotel. The hotel staff drove us up on the golf cart when we were leaving. The only problem was that buses were passing us because they were full. Allow time.

We are returning to Coco Reef in two weeks. I read on one of CC sites that the best way to go is to ferry over to Hamilton and then take a taxi right to the hotel. I believe the poster said it was $15 each way. that's what we will do this time.

When in Bermuda, we usually get the bus/ferry pass (we prefer the 3 day pass).

Hope this helps.

Vicki

Last October we were in Bermuda on the B'way and spent a full day at Coco Reef. We, along with another couple, took an early ferry into Hamilton where we caught a cab on Front Street, splitting the cab fee. We thoroughly enjoyed our day at the resort. While sitting around the pool, we met another couple who were also on the B'way, so when we were ready to head back to the Dockyard, the six of us piled into a mini van cab - the total cost for the return trip, with traffic, was $30. We were very lucky to have an excellent cab driver who also gave us a narrated tour as we headed back to our ship.

Darcy

So for those who took the ferry to Hamilton and then a cab to Coco Reef, how long did it take to get there?

Last summer we had arranged ahead of time with fellow Roll Callers to split the cab fare which worked out well. Our roll call this time isn't as busy.

I think the total ride in a cab from the Dockyard was 20 minutes or so.

We might rent a scooter for the 2 days we're there this time and go that route.

The Cab ride from Dockyard to Coco Reef should have been more like 35 minutes at least. But the way you are talking about, it is a 20 minute ferry ride to Hamilton, and then a 2 minute walk to the cab stand. I would bank on a 10 minute cab ride from Hamilton to Coco Reef, unless their is unusual traffic.