help me find a piece of luggage

bellebud

I've been unsuccessfully looking for a rolling backpack w/ the horizontal strap across the back that you'd use to slide it onto another piece of luggages' extended handle (hope that makes sense).

I can find rolling luggage pieces w/ the horizontal strap, but no backpack straps. I can find rolling backpacks w/ no horizontal strap.

This would be my carry-on piece, so I'd like to be able to roll it, or put in on my back, or attach it to my other piece of luggage.

In the past, we've used regular backpacks, which don't attach well to another piece of luggage. We've also used rolling small pieces of luggage, but we can't put them on our backs.

I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist... any help is greatly appreciated :)

I've been unsuccessfully looking for a rolling backpack w/ the horizontal strap across the back that you'd use to slide it onto another piece of luggages' extended handle (hope that makes sense).

I can find rolling luggage pieces w/ the horizontal strap, but no backpack straps. I can find rolling backpacks w/ no horizontal strap.

This would be my carry-on piece, so I'd like to be able to roll it, or put in on my back, or attach it to my other piece of luggage.

In the past, we've used regular backpacks, which don't attach well to another piece of luggage. We've also used rolling small pieces of luggage, but we can't put them on our backs.

I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist... any help is greatly appreciated :)

Consider using a bag bungee with a regular backpack if you don't find exactly what you want. Here's a link, if it comes through:

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Luggage-Bungee-Leopard-Print/dp/B003U3MPR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372824335&sr=8-4&keywords=luggage+bungee

Good luck trying to find all those features in one bag. The one feature you were trying to explain about slipping over the handle of another bag is called by some a back slip panel. I have never seen this on a full size carry on with wheels let alone one with back straps as well. You could purchase a piggy back strap like the one below or if you have a back pack without wheels the piggy back strap like the one mentioned earlier would work.

Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender bag has all the features you are looking for but the wheels.

Shak

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-adventure-weekender-bag/d/1200_c_137

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-4234-Multi-Bag-Stacker/dp/B001CZP2EQ/ref=pd_sim_a_3

this is missing the handle strap, but I wonder how something like this would sit on a larger piece of carry on, using the duffle bag straps to slide through the handle of the larger check-in luggage. I'll probably go to a store to see if I can find a piece like this and try it out on a larger piece of luggage.

Thanks for this suggestion :)

Consider using a bag bungee with a regular backpack if you don't find exactly what you want. Here's a link, if it comes through:

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Luggage-Bungee-Leopard-Print/dp/B003U3MPR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372824335&sr=8-4&keywords=luggage+bungee

thank you for this suggestion... I'm going to keep this in mind and probably get one just to have anyway, even if I don't use it for this upcoming trip. Looks very handy! :)

Good luck trying to find all those features in one bag. The one feature you were trying to explain about slipping over the handle of another bag is called by some a back slip panel. I have never seen this on a full size carry on with wheels let alone one with back straps as well. You could purchase a piggy back strap like the one below or if you have a back pack without wheels the piggy back strap like the one mentioned earlier would work.

Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender bag has all the features you are looking for but the wheels.

Shak

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-adventure-weekender-bag/d/1200_c_137

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-4234-Multi-Bag-Stacker/dp/B001CZP2EQ/ref=pd_sim_a_3

that weekender bag is beautiful! (I love looking at luggage!) :) I may have to rethink the wheels - it's probably the least important of the features I'm looking for.

That's another strap I think I'll get, just to have.

thanks for the suggestions!

You might want to try this. I have one and love it. Its a very large backpack, on wheels, with fold in backpack straps. However, zipped on the front is a smaller backback. You can remove this smaller backpack (daypack) to use as your carry on (it has backpack straps also). Easy to zip on and off. Then the larger backpack can be used as a roll-on.

Or I'll keep it all zipped together and open up the straps in back and wear it like a backpack. It is larger then normal backpack, but not so heavy you can't wear it. Super convenient. I've even used the daypack as a "purse" during my trip.

This is just one of items at ebags - search their site for 'daypack' and it brings up a bunch. :)

http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/at-gear-ultimate-access/205766?productid=10113351

A good resource is ebags. do a search for "backpacks with wheels" and you'll see a boatload of choices. You'll have to see if any of them have that extra back panel you are are looking for.

Another option would be to buy an entire new piece of luggage that has wheels and the removable daypacks on them. Like the REI Stratocruiser, Osprey Meridian, Eagle Creek Switchback. I have an Osprey Soujourn roller. My Osprey Daylite daypack attaches to it with the company's clip system. I can use my Daylite on the Soujourn or on my two Osprey Porter bags (no wheels). Another thing these bags offer is backpack straps on the roller itself, just in case you are going over cobblestones in Venice, or hauling the bag up the stairs in an elevator-less hotel or apartment.

JaneStarr's suggestion of that Bag Bungee is also a good one. It may allow you to use what you already have.

The one feature you were trying to explain about slipping over the handle of another bag is called by some a back slip panel. I have never seen this on a full size carry on with wheels let alone one with back straps as well.

Lipault makes a wheeled carry-on with a back slip panel (but no backpack straps):

41mcuuyLJ5L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Lipault-Lourdes-Piggyback-Wheeled-Carry-On/dp/B00632UAQI/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1372877975&sr=1-32

I use it in combo with the Ful Doubletime carry-on with detachable backpack:

312eYINk1OL._SY300_.jpg

Lipault makes a wheeled carry-on with a back slip panel (but no backpack straps):

41mcuuyLJ5L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Lipault-Lourdes-Piggyback-Wheeled-Carry-On/dp/B00632UAQI/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1372877975&sr=1-32

I use it in combo with the Ful Doubletime carry-on with detachable backpack:

312eYINk1OL._SY300_.jpg

There you go. I don't see backpack straps but it does have the back slip panel. Which one do you use as your carry on? Is it awkward placing and pulling it on your other bag?

Shak

Shak

Which one do you use as your carry on? Is it awkward placing and pulling it on your other bag?

Depending on the length of the trip, degree of casual (expedition-type trip vs. city excursions vs business), and the airline and cabin class I'm flying in, sometimes I check the Lipault and bring the Ful wheeled as the carry-on and the backpack as my personal item, sometimes I check both wheeled carry-ons and just carry on the backpack, sometimes I just use the Ful pieces without the Lipault.

The Lipault holds a lot and includes a garment bag. I distribute the weight so the Lipault is not the heaviest piece - that way the combo stays upright and it's easier to get the Lipault on and off the Ful's metal handle. The Lipault has soft handles everywhere so it's not that difficult. The last trip, the Lipault and the Ful wheeled carry-on weighed 44 lbs together (avg. 22 lbs each).

OP here - look what I found (hope the link works)

http://www.zappos.com/lipault-jpf-series-wheeled-computer-backpack-purple?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

Funny that Arusha mentioned the Lipault - I wasn't looking for that brand specifically. This is literally the only rolling backpack with the handle sleeve that I've found - I've looked on every site I can think of.

The price has me a bit hesitant... Arusha, do you love yours? Do you think this is worth $180? I have to buy 4 of them.

Stupid question - but is there any reason you could not take the backpack, place it sideways atop the bigger suitcase - using the backpack straps over the handle to hold it in place? Or would that not work well?

Stupid question - but is there any reason you could not take the backpack, place it sideways atop the bigger suitcase - using the backpack straps over the handle to hold it in place? Or would that not work well?

yea, it doesn't work well... I wish it did. They always flop off, and it's SO annoying when you're trying to get through the airport or the parking lot w/ things falling off, and my kids trying to handle it too (it's dh, myself, ds11 and dd13). We each always have a larger rolling piece and a smaller piece.

I've now realized that because we'll have the backpacks w/ us a lot, I want built in water bottle holders on the side of the backpacks (this trip coming up is 6 hours air travel, sleeping overnight near the airport, cab to the train station, 3 hours on a train, cab to our hotel, sleeping overnight near the ship, then a week on the ship (cruising to Alaska). THEN from Anchorage, flying to Seattle, sleeping over, then flying to NJ. A whole lot of travel, so we need to be able to handle the luggage easily, and I'm just so sick of piece-mealing things together.

I'm now thinking I just don't have enough choices in exactly what I want, so I'm going to look for a rolling backpack w/ the pocket configurations I like, then somehow strap them onto the bigger pieces of luggage. I'm going to try the bungee things, or I'm thinking of something like a stretchy piece of fabric (like a large headband) that I just pull over the backpacks after I set them on the larger pieces. This is seriously driving me crazy!!

that weekender bag is beautiful! (I love looking at luggage!) :) I may have to rethink the wheels - it's probably the least important of the features I'm looking for.

That's another strap I think I'll get, just to have.

thanks for the suggestions!

OMG I love that you said that because I've been known to stay up until 2 am (I'm not kidding) looking at luggage sets on Overstock or EBags - I am obsessed!

I just found this one which seems to do all those things: http://www.rei.com/product/816217/rei-stratocruiser-wheeled-convertible-luggage-25

Hope this helps!

Too funny cuz I too am luggage obsessed and have been hunting down the perfect piece (and being in Canada sure doesn't help!).

I am okay with my large/light checked suitcase....but the 'handle' for rolling is unusual and is way wider (coming out of the frame of the suitcase) so a little tricky to add anything there as well.

I thought I found the 'perfect' rolling duffle - but it is a tad too big and when travelling to Barcelona last year I had to check it on BA but not on other airlines/flights - but it was enuf to stress me out as I had to go to the side and repack/remove what I needed for the flight, lock it up and check it (and PAY for it)....and of course worried about losing ALL my luggage now as I had some 'extras' in the carryon of course.....

So I have decided to get something more suitable for international travel - the problem is I am travelling solo so have to be able to manage everything on my own - which isn't easy.

I do have a 'regular' 20 inch rollling carryon/suitcase - but with the big rolling bag being pulled behind me - I only have one hand left to pull the other one - and don't want to pull that behind me - very awkward to have two like that - and I was able to place the rolling duffle on top of the larger suitcase last year which solved problem - but alas as mentioned may have issues with the size. (and of course a tote bag/purse over my shoulder as well)...

So I am now trying to find another 'similar' but smaller rolling duffle or maybe even a rolling backpack or something like that that I can set atop the suitcase...... Another suggestion I hear was to get the smaller regular suitcase with 'spinner' wheels so I can wheel that next to me or in front of me while shlepping the larger bag behind me - what a nightmare this has become - wondering if a smaller spinner is the solution?

This is my suitcase:

international_traveller_it-0-1_205_carry-on_brown_circles_-_small_rolling_luggage_676941.jpg

My obsession will continue until I find the RIGHT BAG! :D:D

We're trying the 25" spinner bag option with a medium-sized LLBean duffle bag with ergonomic strap as our option for our trip to Europe. I think the key here is the spinner, which remains upright instead of giving the duffle, resting atop the spinner, the chance to slide around. Here are the ones we picked:

Delsey Aero Helium 25"(checked)

805670817_ImageUploadedByTapatalk21373291085.213943.jpg.a3bc12624e1613f18aeeecf39877950f.jpg

And

LLBean Medium Duffle Bag (which we'll carry on)

582721400_ImageUploadedByTapatalk21373291136.138786.jpg.f33e4d82b5a3a14d6f9fe53d509e7329.jpg

I know this doesn't help the OP regarding the backpack situation, but maybe this presents a better alternative.

Have you thought about using an "Add A Bag" strap? You put it through the handle of the larger bag and then through the handle of the smaller bag and then snap it shut. The smaller bag hangs down on the front of the larger bag.

http://www.luggagepros.com/lewis-n-clark-add-a-bag-strap.shtml

There are several versions with different prices. Just do a Google search for "add a bag strap" and you'll get a lot of them.

My friend bought one at a shop and used it many times until she bought a new bag that has one built in.

Vicki

Archived