Washington Post/Cleveland Plain Dealer article reviewing Journey sailing 6/14/17

tango9

I opened my newspaper today to see this review . I was on this sailing but never met the person who wrote it. She did different things on the sailing. Good review but not azamazing. comments. I don't have online access to it, so did not give a link to it. But some may be able to find it. I , myself, had a marvelous time on that sailing from Lisbon to Hamburg.:)

Interesting assessment of a cruise - well written. Sad to see the impact of the land discoveries products on new cruisers but glad to see the onboard efforts particularly of the entertainment staff had such a positive impact.

I opened my newspaper today to see this review . I was on this sailing but never met the person who wrote it. She did different things on the sailing. Good review but not azamazing. comments. I don't have online access to it, so did not give a link to it. But some may be able to find it. I , myself, had a marvelous time on that sailing from Lisbon to Hamburg.:)

It was an interesting and honest review. The couple discovered some things they liked and disliked about small ship cruising and a more immersive cruising experience and why they would return. Most of their experiences were good, but they had one very average tour and also didn't get much out of Guernsey. My opinion of Guernsey is that it's quaint a great place to spend an uncrushed afternoon, but I would never expect much more than that. I have been there on business and on a cruise (believe Princess stopped there if only to meet some Schengen requirement). Also, it's a shame that they didn't do a D-Day tour of Normandy only because they thought it was "too long". The D-Day tours are powerful and Normandy is beautiful. I am not a super patriot, but a great tour of the D-Day beaches and memorials and cemetery left me in awe of all of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country and the free world.

I think the ‘lack of things to do’ really means the lack of things they wanted to do - or lack of choice of things to do. There’s always plenty for us, but I guess it’s ‘ horses for courses’.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think though their criticism of their excursion in Hamburg typifies sadly the experience and prices that are often spoken about. We joined the ship the day the writer disembarked in Hamburg. We too went to the Chocolate museum but under our own steam during our precruise time. We were horrified when we heard how much the mark up was on the cruise line excursion. I think we all accept a mark up ......but how much!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the ‘lack of things to do’ really means the lack of things they wanted to do - or lack of choice of things to do. There’s always plenty for us, but I guess it’s ‘ horses for courses’.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like probably many others, we started cruising on mass market lines. It's what sold us on cruising. Since then we moved on to small ships and we found we prefer a quieter atmosphere. Yet we still know folks that prefer the constant activities on the larger ships. It's that old "different strokes......." thing. It's what makes the world go round and we're cool with that.

Most of their experiences were good, but they had one very average tour and also didn't get much out of Guernsey. My opinion of Guernsey is that it's quaint a great place to spend an uncrushed afternoon, but I would never expect much more than that. .

I agree in general with your assessment of charming Guernsey.

But it is more than that. I hope that their “self-guided” tour included a visit to the Anglican Church where they could appreciate a beautiful wooden screen dedicated to the heroic native son who “saved Canada” (Sir Isaac Brock in the War of 1812).

For that reason, plus the heritage of Guernsey cows, I would make the island and its Church a required stop.

But perhaps I am a bit biased on this. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums