Small purse/bag?

RedSox5

Hi,

All of my bags/purses are rather large. I don't want to take a large bag on the island with me, or around the ship. But, I can't seem to find a small one that fits on my shoulder- like a clutch, but with a strap for my shoulder. In the past I've always taken larger bags on cruises, but I don't want to this time. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I always carry a small "summer" bag--straw or summery material--I need my comb, lipstick, tissues, etc...

It's easy to carry (not large enough for a wallet, at least, MY wallet!!!) but it holds everything I need so I don't have to go to the cabin to "fix up" all the time!

I found a cute bag at Target--very small, cheap and comfortable. I use it at home when we go to outdoor music events, and such. I can keep it on my shoulder while I dance and it doesn't get in the way. I think it cost less than $15.

02862455_zi?$thumbnail$

For my bday in February, my DH bought me this bag (okay, I pointed it out to him a few days before when we were in Dillards;)) because I wanted a small casual bag with an organizer area for cash and credit cards.

It is really roomy for a smaller bag (the organizer and cc slots are in the middle) and works great for going out dancing at night and fits in the motorcycle bag when we go riding:D:D. I got black but it also comes in tan and burgundy. It is from Brahmin.

RedSox5 - do a web search for "cross body" bags. You will find a lot of them that will work and are really cute ones too! I usually carry a bigger "tropical" type bag at port so that I will have room to carry things with me. I use the cross body type while on the ship just for the most important things.

Sue

I usually carry something that looks like this on board...

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-accessories_wristlets-10551-10051-18409-en?t1Id=68&t2Id=18409&tier=2&=acc_t1

They are bascially a wallet with a wrist strap. I usually only carry my seapass and a lip gloss around the ship though.

But I've had my eye on this...

http://www.katespade.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3406547&cp=1863844.2180761&view=all&parentPage=family

I bought the PacSafe SlingSafe series 50 for going on the cruise.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=56

Its small and perfect to not be to bothersome while doing my shopping, and totally safe as long as ya keep everything closed up from thieves. I got the pretty lil charcoal color :) Tho blue was a close second on my decision. They got some great bags, but definitely shop around on Ebay and other shopping sites as you can find it cheaper (be sure to include shipping during your comparisons).

One word of caution -- I took a new small bag on our last cruise, for exactly the same reasons as the OP -- lighter, easier to tote, how much do I really need to carry? Had my ship pass card in it, along with some other stuff. I de-magnetized my ship's card every time I put it in the purse, due to the strength of the magnetic closure. So for my NEXT cruise, I'm taking a bag without a magnetic closure.

I found a cute little black patent leather wristlet at Macy's for $15. I plan on carrying it in the evening.

As CowPrincess warned, I also had a de-magnetizing issue on our last cruise. Also guessed it was from the purse closure. Never even thought about that happening!

I bought the PacSafe SlingSafe series 50 for going on the cruise.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=56

Its small and perfect to not be to bothersome while doing my shopping, and totally safe as long as ya keep everything closed up from thieves. I got the pretty lil charcoal color :) Tho blue was a close second on my decision. They got some great bags, but definitely shop around on Ebay and other shopping sites as you can find it cheaper (be sure to include shipping during your comparisons).

That's really a neat little bag, Ellusionz. Is the largest compartment big enough to hold sunglasses?

The wristlets are good for on the ship, but if I'm going to be walking around on the island, it drives me crazy dangling from my wrist! I actually found a beach type of bag that is very small and flexible (doesn't stick out like a blimp if there's nothing in it!) which I will be using... thanks :)

That's really a neat little bag, Ellusionz. Is the largest compartment big enough to hold sunglasses?

Not really, I measured it and its about 5" by 1.5". Course I have the thicker plastic big glasses, if you wear the smaller metal ones it might work. That's the sleeve in the back, the front part opens like a wallet.

Oh, I like this thread!

I only ever have one purse, which I replace when it needs replacing. My current one is a tad big, because I like to carry my camera around, and a book. It works fine in my "normal life" and also when I'm on an island somewhere, but on my last cruise, I definitely noticed a problem, especially on the formal nights. My big purse is nowhere near fashionable enough to go with a nice dress, yet I want to carry my ship card and phone (it has a pretty good camera, so I carry it around with me all the time ;) ). I really wanted a tiny little purse for just those items. I looked around in the ship's stores, but I think I'm kind of picky when it comes to bags and I couldn't find anything nice.

I will definitely be looking at the links in this thread, thanks! :D

Not really, I measured it and its about 5" by 1.5". Course I have the thicker plastic big glasses, if you wear the smaller metal ones it might work. That's the sleeve in the back, the front part opens like a wallet.

Thanks so much for the answer, Ellusionz. I guess it won't do for me, darnit. I, too, wear the thicker plastic sunglasses. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Check out the Travelon selection on QVC. Lots of different cross-body hands-free bags, in every imaginable size and color. I have a few and love them. Keeps me super organized.

I, too, am wondering what to do about a bag while on my Med cruise this fall. I know it's important to get one with a strap that can't be slashed, and need one big enough to accomodate a small wallet and camera. Maybe a water bottle.

Archived