If we choose not to book an excursion...

Boiler Cruiser

My wife and I are going to stop in Roatan during our cruise in December. If we choose not to book a tour, what is there for us to do? Is there a town to explore? A good place for lunch? A good place to walk around and just enjoy the fact that we are there?

Your observations and advice are appreciated.

My wife and I are going to stop in Roatan during our cruise in December. If we choose not to book a tour, what is there for us to do? Is there a town to explore? A good place for lunch? A good place to walk around and just enjoy the fact that we are there?

There are two ports on the island which one is your ship going to use .

By the by - if snorkeling is something you enjoy it's very good on Roatan. Some people say the best in the Caribbean.

There are two ports on the island which one is your ship going to use .

By the by - if snorkeling is something you enjoy it's very good on Roatan. Some people say the best in the Caribbean.

I believe that we will be docking at Coxen Hole. Any suggestions for those of us who might just want to explore the down and the surroundings and not do anything particularly active?

I believe that we will be docking at Coxen Hole. Any suggestions for those of us who might just want to explore the down and the surroundings and not do anything particularly active?

The Coxen Hole "town" is walking distance from the dock. There are also several shops within the cruise complex.

Please understand you are going to an island off the coast of a third world country, the begging and barkers can be a challenge for some.

We docked there in July with Royal and did a private tour with Ronys, we had to walk a couple of blocks outside the port to get to the van. I have to say it is truly 3rd world in that area. I would not plan to walk around on my own, we are going back in Nov and still planning to do something scheduled.

I don't believe there is much at Coxen Hole. You didn't mention which cruise line you were on, but if it is not Carnival owned, it's more than likely Coxen Hole, and if it is Carnival owned, it's more than likely Mahagony Bay. If Mahagony Bay you can look around at the Carnival owned shops and they have a beach. If Coxen Hole, which it sounds like you think it is, I agree with the other posters and really do recommend booking an excursion, even if it is low key. Roatan Island is a beautiful island, but its not like other ports where its almost a tourist trap and I don't think you will see much in Coxen Hole.

I'm not sure if you guys like animals, but we were in Roatan last October and booked with "Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout" and did an island tour, snorkeling and went to the monkey and sloth hangout. It was one of my favorite all time excursions while on a cruise, and if we go back to Roatan I will book with them again. Here is a video of the excursion we took (there are different excursion options with them):

We booked the excursion directly through "Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout" on his Facebook page. When I contacted them on Facebook, they gave us the different excursion package prices and details, and then I told him which one we wanted and they sent a confirmation and details about where to meet them outside the cruise terminal via the Facebook messaging. Everything was so easy and it was a great and fun experience.

Stay away from Coxen Hole. Beyond the stores at the dock, it's not a nice or safe place.

You can grab a cab and go to West End. This is the town with the best selection of restaurants and shops - lots of variety. It should cost more than $20 for the cab ride in each direction. A very safe little village and the whole thing is about 1 mile long so you can see everything plus spend time on a beach.

The OP is on the Royal Princess...it's in his sig. He will dock, if it is not too windy, in Mahogany Bay.

Plenty to do there if you like carefully manicured chain stores and an open air bar...the bulldozer created beach is free and walkable.

The prize beach on Roatan is West Bay Beach...which means a 30 min. taxi ride to the West End of the island.

Stay away from Coxen Hole. Beyond the stores at the dock, it's not a nice or safe

Coxen Hole has a lot of local flair, there are shops for tourists. there are two markets one inside and one outside. Banks, bars and restaurants abound. There are heaps of Honduran locals going about their day doing business

I have wandered Coxen Hole repeatedly during the day as solo female traveler, I have never once felt unsafe. Other than the color of my skin I do not look like a tourist, actually I'm a traveler. I don't wear any jewelry, my camera nor my phone, if I have one, are visible, my clothes are well-loved. Think beach bum, complete with a years old backpack. I also have never walked into town from the cruise port I'm generally coming by way of minibus from West End.

I completely understand the appeal of West End, it is chock a block full of expats from all over the word. It could be a village on absolutely any island in the Caribbean. There's very little in it to scream Honduras. I understand why some people would feel more safe there.

I only post because I don't want anybody to be fearful of Coxen Hole. It is a delightful little place with a lot of locals and if you want to walk into town and by gosh walk into town just be aware you're on an island off the coast of a third world country.

By the by - the prices of taxi are not regulated in any way shape or form. From the Coxen Hole cruise port you are far better off sorting out round trip transportation. The least expensive I've heard is $15 per person but think more along the lines of $20pp.

Years ago there was talk of West Bay being somewhat of a man-made beach.

Thinfool, I think should look into that. Tell us what West Bay

looked like before the resorts showed up before the tourist started pouring in..

I think Mahogany Bay is a delightful spot for those people getting off a cruise ship who don't want to pay for an excursion or the 45-minute drive to West Bay.

By the by - the prices of taxi are not regulated in any way shape or form. From the Coxen Hole cruise port you are far better off sorting out round trip transportation. The least expensive I've heard is $15 per person but think more along the lines of $20pp.

Absolutely right. $20pp is normal between the two. Depends though. If you pick up the taxi in West End, you can (and I have) sometimes got it for $20 for the ride with a few people. Although never from Coxen Hole.

Absolutely right. $20pp is normal between the two. Depends though. If you pick up the taxi in West End, you can (and I have) sometimes got it for $20 for the ride with a few people. Although never from Coxen Hole.

My guess is the taxi drivers can see a cruise ship guest from a mile off even if they're in West End and they will take advantage. If you have to be back on a ship, organize round-trip transport.

One cannot compare land holiday prices with cruise ship guest prices just as you cannot compare traveler prices to local prices. Those taxi guys have some crazy sliding scale and do whatever they want to do depending on how they feel.

One cannot compare land holiday prices with cruise ship guest prices just as you cannot compare traveler prices to local prices. Those taxi guys have some crazy sliding scale and do whatever they want to do depending on how they feel.

LOL, so right.

Oh and don't be surprised if your taxi driver stops and picks up their pregnant wife at the grocery story and drops her at home before dropping you off at your destination.

• 3 weeks later...
When you all talk about a round trip taxi ride, does the driver stay with you all day, or do you arrange a specific place to meet up at a certain time? Do you pay half after the ride there and half once you're back at the port? Do kids or babies count in their "per person" rate?

There is no set rate in Roatan. You should negotiate before you get in the car and pay after you get out.

As for paying/waiting, it would depend on where you are going. If you are going to West End/West Bay, there are tons of taxis there all the time. Pay for the trip one way with one driver then pay for the trip back with another.

You should not expect any driver to stay with you all day unless you are paying for their time - which would be quite significant on cruise ship days.

Since you'll be on Royal Princess, your port stop will be at Mahogany Bay.

There's ample to do within the cruise port complex there -- beach (at no cost), places to eat/buy food, and normal cruise port shopping.

No real need to go elsewhere unless you want to snorkel and/or see the "real Roatan" ... but we've done that many times in the past so now just enjoy being within the cruise ship complex. :)

There is no set rate in Roatan. You should negotiate before you get in the car and pay after you get out.

As for paying/waiting, it would depend on where you are going. If you are going to West End/West Bay, there are tons of taxis there all the time. Pay for the trip one way with one driver then pay for the trip back with another.

You should not expect any driver to stay with you all day unless you are paying for their time - which would be quite significant on cruise ship days.

My experience of Roatan is that it is quite easy to secure a driver for the day who will stay with you, from quite a number of companies and booked in advance.

I find it more flexible to contract with a single driver than try and negotiate single rides on a cruise ship day. Taxi rates are not fixed on Roatan but securing a driver for a day has been the same price for years and there is little variation between companies other than for “add-ones”. There is a sliding scale dependent on the number of people in a van.

I would not recommend one-way taxi on cruise day... those guys are all kinds of hungry and would more than likely take advantage knowing you have to be back to the ship.

Please, sort out ROUND trip fare and pay when he returns you to the ship. The driver may or may not stay with you, he may just arrange a time and place to meet you at a later time.

I believe for ease of day, contacting any of the tour operators for a private driver is a better choice.