Newark (EWR) Day Room

Does anyone know how to book a day room at Newark /Cape Liberty ?

Our flight to the UK departs at 21.25 on 3rd Jan '10 :confused:

Numerous airport hotels in the area. Do a Google search-hotels-EWR. Then you could email. I am going to guess you will have to pay almost full price booking through a hotel, so use Priceline/Hotwire for a discounted room. It really doesn't matter which 3.5* EWR hotel you get for the day-all will be satisfactory. But don't book/bid below 3.5 stars or you may get a hotel WITHOUT a shuttle which could cost you quite a bit. And only bid/book the Newark Airport area-again, some of the 3+ star hotels DO NOT have shuttles outside the airport proper area.

The problem with many legitimate hotels is that their official check-in is at 3 p.m., and check-out is at 12 noon. The worst case situation is having to pay for 2 nights for 1 day's use. You'll likely to call or e-mail each hotel individually since online travel services generally only offer the standard overnight rates.

There are a number of no-tell motels in Elizabeth, just south of the airport, that will most likely be willing to rent you a room by the hour, and for whom providing a day rate is standard fare. As previously noted, these inexpensive motels may not offer any shuttle service, so you'll have to balance the cost of a taxi (or bus) against the lower price. Don't expect that any of the online travel services to have listings for these motels . . . the motels are not known for their comfort or service (with mostly negative reviews on Trip Advisor); many serve the needs of their temporarily amorous clients.

Budget Inn Motel

Cadillac Motor Inn

EconoLodge Newark Airport

Flora Motel

Knights Inn Newark Airport

Oak Grand Motel

Royal Motel

Spring Lane Motel

The problem with many legitimate hotels is that their official check-in is at 3 p.m., and check-out is at 12 noon. The worst case situation is having to pay for 2 nights for 1 day's use. You'll likely to call or e-mail each hotel individually since online travel services generally only offer the standard overnight rates.

There are a number of no-tell motels in Elizabeth, just south of the airport, that will most likely be willing to rent you a room by the hour, and for whom providing a day rate is standard fare. As previously noted, these inexpensive motels may not offer any shuttle service, so you'll have to balance the cost of a taxi (or bus) against the lower price. Don't expect that any of the online travel services to have listings for these motels . . . the motels are not known for their comfort or service (with mostly negative reviews on Trip Advisor); many serve the needs of their temporarily amorous clients.

Budget Inn Motel

Cadillac Motor Inn

EconoLodge Newark Airport

Flora Motel

Knights Inn Newark Airport

Oak Grand Motel

Royal Motel

Spring Lane Motel

Why would you send someone from England to a total dump, no tell/motel??? I am sure the OP can negotiate something with one of the many Newark Airport hotels. Just send an email asking for what you want. They ALL have a vacant room that will be clean and ready by 11:00AM. Now the price-may be a whole other story.

Why would you send someone from England to a total dump, no tell/motel??? I am sure the OP can negotiate something with one of the many Newark Airport hotels. Just send an email asking for what you want. They ALL have a vacant room that will be clean and ready by 11:00AM. Now the price-may be a whole other story.

At least GTJ has taken a step in the right direction by identifying them as "no-tell motels". :rolleyes:

many hotels will offer this, but you can not, in most cases, book on line, or even ahead....

you can try email.....(i generally say to phone the hotel direct but as you are across the pond probably not a viable option!

i would start with the Newark Airport Marriott, Hilton Newark AIrport, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Renaissance, either of the 2 Courtyard by Marriotts (one is under Elizabeth but it is fine, I was just there this weekend....the other one is listed as Newark Airport....) The Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth is used to people coming and going at all hours, as are all the other hotels...

if you want to email me....i can assist you with contacting some hotel managers who may be able to help....however, you are a pretty long way off.

cruisermeg at yahoo dot com

please put CC or Newark hotel help in the subject line.

Greatam's advice is also good....again, with some of the bigger hotels, chances are better than 50-50 of being able to check in early....(generally though day rates for hotel rooms run from about 8 or 9 am until 5 pm)

Does anyone know how to book a day room at Newark /Cape Liberty ?

Our flight to the UK departs at 21.25 on 3rd Jan '10 :confused:

I was actually wondering the same information at either JFK or EWR. We are on a red eye from the west coast and arrive at about 7am to NYC and can't board to go on a cruise until 11:30am at earliest , but would prefer to board later for a 5pm departure and wish to have a day room for a few hours. Anyone had the experience of doing this???

I was actually wondering the same information at either JFK or EWR. We are on a red eye from the west coast and arrive at about 7am to NYC and can't board to go on a cruise until 11:30am at earliest , but would prefer to board later for a 5pm departure and wish to have a day room for a few hours. Anyone had the experience of doing this???

While the discussion above relates to EWR, a similar situation exists near JFK. There's several legitimate hotels in and around JFK that might be able to offer something, as well as several no-tell motels that certainly offer day rates. If you're leaving from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal there's a very convenient no-tell motel just a few blocks from the terminal (quite walkable if you have not much luggage on wheels) where you can get some rest (Brooklyn Motor Inn) as well as a few legitimate hotels not too far away. But if you're leaving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal the rates will be quite high and you'll probably be better off staying near JFK.

We booked a dayroom at the Howard Johnson 20 Frontage Rd close to the Airport. They do not take bookings for this by e mail, need to phone.

By EWR??? not the nicest place...sorry! Howard Johnsons are pretty bad-especially in the NYC/Newark/JFK area.

Same as I stated above...

Also..people please do NOT stay in anything called a 'motor inn', 'motor lodge' or 'motel'.....TRUST US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same as I stated above...

Also..people please do NOT stay in anything called a 'motor inn', 'motor lodge' or 'motel'.....TRUST US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a similiar conversation with CC friends from London that we met on our cruise. In the past, they had booked one of these places and it turned out to be what I call a "welfare hotel", or emergency homeless shelter. The City places families in these establishments when emergency housing is needed. The City pays top dollar too.:eek: I always say "stick with the Holiday Inn, you can't go wrong".:)

I had a similiar conversation with CC friends from London that we met on our cruise. In the past, they had booked one of these places and it turned out to be what I call a "welfare hotel", or emergency homeless shelter. The City places families in these establishments when emergency housing is needed. The City pays top dollar too.:eek: I always say "stick with the Holiday Inn, you can't go wrong".:)

Now they get a one way plane ticket OUT of NYC. No more "emergency" housing. Wonder how much those plane tickets cost????

I agree with Meg. Don't book anything that is less than a 3* hotel and run it by this thread before you do. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Newark and I know that people arrive and depart from there at all hours of the day and night. if you are flying into Newark, I would definitely inquire there about a day room.

Also, you have to understand that all the airport hotels are transient hotels. Trying to make an arrangement months in advance may simply be too soon for them.

Now they get a one way plane ticket OUT of NYC. No more "emergency" housing. Wonder how much those plane tickets cost????

well..........let's see, at least 3 times what you and i and the rest of us could get them for??? and out of our tax money.:eek:

Unless you REALLY want to lay down and sleep, why not save the hassle and money and just go to the ship??? By the time you get luggage at JFK (could be as long as 45 minutes), get a bite to eat, freshen up in the bathroom and find transport, it will be just about time to go to the cruise terminal for check in. Drop off your luggage, eat some lunch, you can probably even take a shower in your cabin or the spa, then go sightseeing if you want or pull up a lounge chair on deck and RELAX. IMHO, sure beats paying a chunk of change for 4 or 5 hours of hotel.

Otherwise, you may have to pay almost full price for a JFK hotel that will allow you to check in about 10:00AM. You will have to call the hotels to make arrangements. IF you just want a shower and someplace to relax for a few hours, the Admiral's Club (AA) has day passes-$75.00 for two. You will have to make arrangements IN ADVANCE for access, as the newest, fanciest one at JFK is in T-8, Concourse B or the other one (very nice also-just not quite as new) is in Concourse C. Both are past security so you will have to contact AA for access past security.

Too bad someone hasn't done a "pod" hotel at the NYC airports like they have in Asia and Europe. The one at LHR is particularly nice. http://www.yotel.com/

Archived