Terrific News...BOA/Celebrity Credit Cards

Cindy G

I just got off the phone with a BOA manager who assures me that the credit card/rewards debacle is temporary. There is a third party who handles the points as reported on another thread. Somewhere there was breakdown which is being corrected. "Steve" told me that by tomorrow or Friday everything will be restored as it was, including the 2% being earned on gas, grocery and drug store purchases. I have his direct phone number and will call him if the chain of events do not play out as he stated. Also, he indicated the redemption of points process will be more streamlined and easier for us.

I warned him (in a good natured way) that I would post his direct number on this site if things don't come together as he indicates.

I guess we just have to be patient for a couple of days.

Hooray for BOA and Celebrity! Kudos for working this out!

Cindy,

Some of us have taken less than what we expected in redeemed points from BOA, it would be helpful to have the contact info for your source at BOA to see if we can now get what we had originally requested. Thanks for your help and for posting good information.

Hi Sheila,

If what "Steve" has told me turns out to be true, then I will ask him how to handle it. I also have his manager's email addy because I wanted to write a kudos letter for him. He was very professional and seemed sincere when he returned my call this morning. This might be one of those things where the dust has to settle first.

When I am confident that Celebrity, BOA and the outside source are all on the same page and things are headed in the right direction, I will ask him what people in your circumstance will need to do.

I hope everything is resolved to everyone's satisfaction. It could have been really ugly!

Cindy G

Cindy,

FYI, I called back to Customer Service at BOA today and while they were recognizing the Celebrity Card, the person I spoke with was only willing to 'cash in' points. I asked about people who wished onboard credit or credit against cost of cruise and he was unable to respond to that question. Since I'm set with my cash back, I was asking based on questions from those who preferred the other options.

I just hope that "Steve" wasn't blowing smoke and only trying to pacify me to get me off the phone.

I do think it's unjust that people were "maybe" mislead and cashed in points at a lower value.

And the saga continues......

Cindy,

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I wasn't looking forward to stopping and starting all my automatic billings. I really enjoy those OBC's and hope things work out for everyone. Those that cashed out for less should be taken care of too.

Cynthia

I just got off the phone with a BOA manager who assures me that the credit card/rewards debacle is temporary. There is a third party who handles the points as reported on another thread. Somewhere there was breakdown which is being corrected. "Steve" told me that by tomorrow or Friday everything will be restored as it was, including the 2% being earned on gas, grocery and drug store purchases. I have his direct phone number and will call him if the chain of events do not play out as he stated. Also, he indicated the redemption of points process will be more streamlined and easier for us.

I warned him (in a good natured way) that I would post his direct number on this site if things don't come together as he indicates.

I guess we just have to be patient for a couple of days.

Hooray for BOA and Celebrity! Kudos for working this out!

Thanks for the reassuring information Cindy. One question, I have never seen 2% being offered by BOA Visa for gas, grocery, etc. Do you have to sign up for it or would it show up automatically, it is something new? I get special offers from Discover but never anything from BOA for the X Visa Card. With Discover you have to sign up for the promotional rewards.

Mary Lou

CML....actually the 2% rewards is with the AMEX card. I received notice of the promo in the mail. Sometimes it does pay to read the credit card mumbo-jumbo.

Remember the good old days when we rec'd 3% on Celebrity travel related (cruises, hotel, air fare, etc.) and restaurants? Now, that was nice!

just got on line and redeemed by points for a room credit. thanks for all who helped. larry:)

Was this an Amex or Visa? How did you find the credit? I went on the Worldpoints site just a few moments ago, and still could not find anything related to Celebrity.

:) Log onto Bank of America website

Click on World Points Redemption Center (left side of page)

Click on Merchandise, Gift Cards and Cash

On the right side of the page - you will see a chart listing what points

earn what "perk".

Or click on Travel

Another chart will show on the right side of the page with your choices

Or Click on Cash

a chart comes up with te amount of points = $ xxxxx in cash (I believe

you receive a check in a couple of weeks.

You can also use your "leftover points" to redeem for merchandise, too. ;)

I cashed my points in yesterday and called the Captain's Club. I received a message from them yesterday afternoon that my points had been applied to my upcoming cruise for on-board credits. So I assume all is well. I did go back to the site and read these conditions, which I'm not sure if they were the same as in the past:

Onboard credits, merchandise, amenities, and packages will be delivered onboard ship during the guest's cruise and are only available in conjunction with an applicable cruise. Celebrity Rewards redeemed for use onboard will be accepted up to (5) business days (not including weekends) prior to the cruise departure date. All unused Onboard Credits will expire by 10pm on the last night of the cruise.

Hey all, I was just flipping through the newest 2010 brochures from Celebrity and noticed the credit card they are offering in there looks 100% different from the one being offered on their website- it has a picture of Solstice from the bow and a huge X outline, also it is a 'Signature Visa' although still being offered through FIA Card Services (Bank of America subsidiary)... I wonder if this change in the card itself may have had something to do with this huge mess up? Because it wasn't a 'Signature Visa' card before, was it?

I think the new card could very well have started the problem. I, personally, am staying away from BOA these days. Better deals on other cards with less concern re: the bank's viability. Still waiting for my check - I know, it's in the mail :)

Personally, I've not been able to find a better deal than a free cruise worth up to $2500 for 125,000 points. Of course, you have to earn those points within a five year period, but we're 25,000 points toward our second free cruise right now. :)

As far as BOA's viability, if they are bought out the rewards should remain just as they did when BOA bought out MBNA and took over the Celebrity VISA program.

I think the new card could very well have started the problem. I, personally, am staying away from BOA these days. Better deals on other cards with less concern re: the bank's viability. Still waiting for my check - I know, it's in the mail :)

Sheila, would you kindly share with us your concern about "the bank's viability" regarding BOA? Do you have knowledge that this bank might fail? It's where we have our money and you comment is very troubling.

Archived