Dream Is As Big As It Get For Carnival - Mickey Arison.

nycruise

So I guess we won't be seeing the Pinnacle any time soon...

I really like the idea of the Pinnacle, ( if that video that went around was any indication of it ) but not necessarily for the size..... mainly because it was different. I am a little tired of the Destiny/Triumph/Conquest layout/hull, that was also incorporated into the Dream! I would love to see something that is completely different than the style of builds that Carnival has churned out since the Destiny in 1996!

Don't get me wrong, there are some differences in the Dream, but I would love to see something just totally different as far as layout. My big wish is that they would move away from dual dining rooms, and move to one larger dining room.

Yeah, but if the Oasis class turns out to be a monstrous hit than I'd expect some sort of retaliation from Carnival (perhaps through Princess, too). Not necessarily as large as Oasis but larger than the Dream.

Also, at the VERY least, I'd expect the Dream and Magic to be very similar to how the Triumph class is to the Conquest class. They'll do a stretch job design based off the Dream and make a few ships in a "different" class; in actuality it'll be just the Dream with a 80 foot extension in the middle to make a 145,000 GRT ship.

Mark my words! I bet you'll have said Carnival class by 2015!

They'll build one in a minute "if" (and I know it's a big if) the Oasis is a hit.

That is how I felt. Plus it is hard to say never on anything. A variety factors can influence any decision.

I for one am not to keen on these bohemoth(sp?) ships...The titanic always springs to mind when I hear of Oasis and the like.:eek:

You are aware that the science of metalurgy has advanced leaps and bounds since the Titanic's hull was laid in Belfast ...

Great news....

The cruiselines need to go in the opposite direction.

Build smaller class ships (fantasy size or slightly larger) but add the amenitites which came along later, with the larger class ships. (balconies all around, Movies Under the Stars, Interactive In Cabin TV, etc...)

Bill

Yes. The Dream just started sailing.

The Dream is still 15,000 GT smaller than Voyager class ships. Also more PAX on the Dream. So it should feel more crowded on the Dream.

We'll see. That being said...I am sailing on the Dream in February and am pretty excited.

Jon

I like this paragraph from that story the best:

Vine also pushed Arison on the issue of discounting, suggesting that a brawl on P&O's Ventura last Christmas, much publicised in the U.K. media at the time, was the result of lowering prices to an extent that P&O was attracting "people who shouldn't be on ships at all."

:eek:

My prediction is that they will have a hard time filling the Oasis after the initial hoopla of the first year.

Keep in mind that the ports it will visit are pretty boring, Nassau, St. Thomas, Jamaica, Cozumel, and St. Maarten. We've been to all of them, some as many as 3 times.:rolleyes:

By 2011, the prices will plunge and then we may give it a try.:D

Has Carnnival built a ship to match the Voyager Class? Supposedly, that class is a hit!

The Voyager class may be popular, but financially it hasn't been great for Royal. Just compare their financials to CCL's.

The Dream is still 15,000 GT smaller than Voyager class ships. Also more PAX on the Dream. So it should feel more crowded on the Dream.

No, it's only about 7,000 GRT smaller than Voyager.

You also have to factor in that many of those GRT's are actually airspace in the Royal Promenade, and you'll see that the ratio of passengers to usable space isn't significant.

Yeah, but if the Oasis class turns out to be a monstrous hit than I'd expect some sort of retaliation from Carnival (perhaps through Princess, too). Not necessarily as large as Oasis but larger than the Dream.

Also, at the VERY least, I'd expect the Dream and Magic to be very similar to how the Triumph class is to the Conquest class. They'll do a stretch job design based off the Dream and make a few ships in a "different" class; in actuality it'll be just the Dream with a 80 foot extension in the middle to make a 145,000 GRT ship.

If - and it's a big if - this RCCL ship somehow becomes a "big hit"...., it will only be 5400 passengers a week - double that with Allure.... Carnival need not complete for 10,000 passengers. Their occupancy rates continue to be in the triple digits - and their prices continue to be the best. Food, service, ships, ports--all top drawer. Lower rates will always be their draw.

This type of vessel seems to be geared for newer cruisers and families....from what information that's out there. Many families and new cruisers are looking for a great experience at a very good price. Oasis probably won't fulfill those criteria.

I guess only time will tell if these huge floating resorts are going to be profitable.

While I wish them well, I don't think they stand a chance.....

Great news....

The cruiselines need to go in the opposite direction.

Build smaller class ships (fantasy size or slightly larger) but add the amenitites which came along later, with the larger class ships. (balconies all around, Movies Under the Stars, Interactive In Cabin TV, etc...)

Bill

Frankly, I agree. And, I'll bet that is going to be the future for new builds....if/when the economy merits. It's easier to fill a smaller ship, cheaper to construct and there is a growing demand for something other than montrosities that carry thousands of people.

With RCL's financial situation the Oasis better be a hit. The worse case would be that the Oasis books well but the bookings are at the expense of the rest of their fleet. It would not help to have to discount other ships to have the Oasis go out full.

I'll take your bet because that ship would have to be in works by the middle of next year to make 2015. According to Micky Arison it's not a foreseeable option and thats been his opinion for at least three years.

I like this paragraph from that story the best:

Vine also pushed Arison on the issue of discounting, suggesting that a brawl on P&O's Ventura last Christmas, much publicised in the U.K. media at the time, was the result of lowering prices to an extent that P&O was attracting "people who shouldn't be on ships at all."

:eek:

And, right after that, my favorite:

But Arison was resolute that his policy of filling ships at any price was not related to the incident. "Each brand makes its own pricing decisions," he said. "They do what they have to do. Whether someone starts a fight is not an issue of what they earn; it's more to do with how much beer they've consumed and what their personal circumstances are."

Archived