Santiago - Vigo or La Coruna

spirite

We are very keen to visit Santiago de Compostela in April (Independence of the Seas Canaries itinerary)

We have a choice of visiting from Vigo or La Coruna - looks like prices and transfer time are very similar from the two stops (assuming ship's excursion)

Which one to choose? Should we miss Vigo or La Coruna? Do either of these have another not-to-be-missed tour?

We are very keen to visit Santiago de Compostela in April (Independence of the Seas Canaries itinerary)

We have a choice of visiting from Vigo or La Coruna - looks like prices and transfer time are very similar from the two stops (assuming ship's excursion)

Which one to choose? Should we miss Vigo or La Coruna? Do either of these have another not-to-be-missed tour?

Tough choice, both cities are great.

Toss a coin....

Personally, I prefer A Coruna

Enjoy, no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...
Tough choice, both cities are great.

Toss a coin....

Personally, I prefer A Coruna

Enjoy, no matter what.

me too, but they are both great places. Is the ship in port longer in one of them? If so, that's probably the one to book your Santiago tour on?

Train from La Coruña is just 35 minutes, from Vigo it´s 85. Distance is similar but as the track is being upgraded the Santiago-Coruña segment it´s just finnished the Santiago-Vigo is actualy on works.

As far as cities are concerned, both are big, industrial ones, having Coruña a little bit more of interest. But you will need all your time in Santiago, so you won´t time for local exploration in any of them.

Train from La Coruña is just 35 minutes, from Vigo it´s 85. Distance is similar but as the track is being upgraded the Santiago-Coruña segment it´s just finnished the Santiago-Vigo is actualy on works.

As far as cities are concerned, both are big, industrial ones, having Coruña a little bit more of interest. But you will need all your time in Santiago, so you won´t time for local exploration in any of them.

Hi Keltic. looks like you know a lot about the area so I thought I put the following question to you.

We are arriving May 29, 2011 (Sunday) in La Curuna on the Prinsendam and like to visit Santiago de Compostela. What would be the best way to go about transportation to Santiago. Should we take the train and if so do you know how far from the cruise port to the train station, is it walkable.

We like walking but because of the limited time in port and the fact that we like to spend as much time in Santiago, should we take a taxi to the train station.

Any info you can give us would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Theo

Definitely it´s not walkable. It´s about five miles away. The buses running from the terminal area (next to the white line of balcony houses) to the bus station, and then it´s about 500 metres. So, my tip is a taxi to the station, then train to Santiago. Hourly service, takes 35 minutes, and costs less than five euros. If you take return you get a ten per cent discount but have to reconfirm it at the ticket counter when you decide to come back. You may take any train as long as you "close the ticket" minutes before the train leaves.

But the best, best way is hiring a car. It´s easy to get to Santiago. Motorway, one hour drive and park at San Francisco Parking at 100 metres from the Cathedral. If you decide to rent a taxi they usually take you to Santiago, wait for two or three hours and come back for about 150-200 euros. If you share it may be convenient. Taxis are parked outside the terminal at the same place where the buses stop is.

So your stop is long?. Go for the train option. Short one?. Rent a car or taxi. Or even the ship tour could be a nice option. Obviously and despite Coruña is bigger they play in a different league. Coruña is nice for shopping but Santiago is much better for art and monuments.

Museums usually close on monday. But major sights remain open as the cathedral.

Keltic, I would really like to pick your brain A LOT about Galicia.

Would you mind writing to me at my screen name at aol dot com? (no space between Merion and Mom)

Gracias!

Carol

• 3 weeks later...

We took a train from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela. I think it only took about an hour to get there. We took a taxi from the Santiago train station to the Cathedral, walked around for several hours and then walked back to the train station. It was a wonderful day! Enjoy! :)

• 1 month later...
I highly recommend this local guide -

http://guidedgalicia.blogspot.com/p/blog.html

Charming young New Zealander who has married a local girl.

We enjoyed a wonderful day with Brendan. We were able to get an early start for a thorough tour of Santiago de Compostela before the ship's tour buses arrived. Afterwards, we worked our way back towards Vigo stopping at a monastery, a local market, a fishing village and more.

Archived