Princess Cruises 2012 -2013 itineraries

Just received the latest itineraries for all of the 2012-2013 season.

Why do Princess think that the only place to cruise from Brisbane is......... New Zealand and throw in a couple of island cruises? Surely they could have introduced something new.

What do you think of their itineraries for 2012 and 2013 in general?

Jilly:)

Why do Princess think that the only place to cruise from Brisbane is......... New Zealand and throw in a couple of island cruises? Surely they could have introduced something new.

I agree with you Jilly! It's the same with P&O Brisbane sailings. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Jilly! It's the same with P&O Brisbane sailings. :rolleyes:

Yes it is. I really wish they would put a little more effort into these itineraries in our region. I think P & O and Princess think we're sheep and they'll heard us on and off these ships out of Brisbane to the same places year after year for our 'dose' of cruising.:rolleyes:

Logistically it can't be that difficult to create new and interesting itineraries from Brisbane?

I was suprised that princess would nearly copy the P&O itinraries from Brisbane esp the fiji cruises. I was expecting more detailed fiji cruises like 4-5 fiji ports or something further a field to tahiti or hawaii and return like from sydney. I was really looking forward to some great desinations when sun princess was comfirmed for brisbane.

I was suprised that princess would nearly copy the P&O itinraries from Brisbane esp the fiji cruises. I was expecting more detailed fiji cruises like 4-5 fiji ports or something further a field to tahiti or hawaii and return like from sydney. I was really looking forward to some great desinations when sun princess was comfirmed for brisbane.

We believe Princess is trying to encourage more Northern Hemisphere passengers down to the Pacific cruises, hence the New Zealand and island itineraries. Our Sun Princess cruise out of Sydney in 2007 had a group of 30+ Mexicans as well as the usual US and Canadian passengers. The Dawn Princess world cruise out of Sydney last year had a broad range of nationalities, and obviously went to different ports. We picked up the final segment from LA to Sydney, and visited other ports in the Pacific that we wouldn't normally get to see on the Australian based cruises. There was a wide range of nationalities on the last segment as the US based ships rarely sail through the south eastern part of the Pacific or New Zealand.

That said, we've decided to change cruise lines for our next trip and while it's back to the same old South West Pacific islands, it beats sitting in an overpriced resort in Oz.

Remember, a bad day at sea still beats a good day ashore! :)

That said, we've decided to change cruise lines for our next trip and while it's back to the same old South West Pacific islands, it beats sitting in an overpriced resort in Oz.

Remember, a bad day at sea still beats a good day ashore! :)

Definitely! I think many of us feel this way. In fact my DH doesn't care at all about the ports - he goes for 'life at sea' experience.

HI

I was a little dissapointed with the new itineraries. We love Princess cruises but just came back from our 2nd NZ cruise and are not ready to cruise NZ again. We were hoping for maybe a 17 night south pacific that went to Samoa.

Tania

We believe Princess is trying to encourage more Northern Hemisphere passengers down to the Pacific cruises, hence the New Zealand and island itineraries. Our Sun Princess cruise out of Sydney in 2007 had a group of 30+ Mexicans as well as the usual US and Canadian passengers. The Dawn Princess world cruise out of Sydney last year had a broad range of nationalities, and obviously went to different ports. We picked up the final segment from LA to Sydney, and visited other ports in the Pacific that we wouldn't normally get to see on the Australian based cruises. There was a wide range of nationalities on the last segment as the US based ships rarely sail through the south eastern part of the Pacific or New Zealand.

I agree the itineraries are for the overseas cruising market, being their winter season.

In addition, many Australians have been on land holidays in NZ, as it is perfect for driving holidays, with its short distances.

Princess Australia certainly lack imagination in developing new itineraries, its just more of the same year after year .

Also for Southerners in Victoria and Tasmania Princess timing is hopeless . When do we want to go to the warm South Pacific Islands and Queensland in the Winter months of June and July - so when do Princess schedule these cruises in the Summer when it is far too hot in the Islands and Northern Australia.

For example in the Winter months SUN or DAWN should be sailing ex Melbourne via Sydney to Northern Queensland / South Pacific return to Melbourne via Brisbane then repeat . Not rocket science , but Princess ignore the biggest market ex Melbourne, holidays to the warmer Northern climes of Australia and South Pacific.

More imagination needed like Round trip cruises ex Singapore with Vessel 1 touching Australia at Darwin and Cairns, with Vessel 2 doing an Australian Circumnavigation calling at Darwin and Cairns at the same time as Vessel 1 allowing Interchange of pax , through travel options and back to back cruises .

I like the itineraries from Australia to the Hawaiian islands and return.

Wonder why they don't do one to the Tahitian islands and return from Australia over our Winter months?

In the latest Princess Atlas there is a picture of the main foyer etc, can anyone tell me which ship this is? It's on page 6 and 7?

I like the itineraries from Australia to the Hawaiian islands and return.

Wonder why they don't do one to the Tahitian islands and return from Australia over our Winter months?

It's solid sailing - would probably be a three week minimum which means less popular, and they make less money from them as there are fewer ports.

If the market grew enough it could become an option, but it's a bit too far for a mainstream round trip.

Kudalai

Excellent idea about meeting another ship in a port and changing ships.

We are interested in an "Around Australia" cruise but disembarkation is not allowed in Adelaide as it is no longer a segment. It is stupid to call into Adelaide on the last leg and not being allowed to get off at our home port. We can go ashore and even go home before getting back on the ship to sail on to Melbourne but we are not allowed to finish the cruise in Adelaide.

More imagination, flexibility and initiative from the cruise companies would attract more customers.

John

John

This possibly has more to do with Australian Customs than with the ship. Can you see that you would have to clear customs in Adelaide (if you were allowed to disembark there). No Customs - not disembarkation.

Barry

I am not at all familiar with Australian laws that might impact this. However, in the US, none of the major cruies lines can pick up passengers in one US port and drop them in another without calling on a distant foriegn port in between.

Paul

That is uniquely American. See Section 27, (also known as the Jones Act) of The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 . This Section 27 requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents

More details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

Barry

That is archaic thinking these days and when NCL was running Round Trip cruises out of Hawaii with an International crew they had to make a call at some non-descript island outside US Territory in International waters just to satisfy this ridiculous requirement . The US as champions of free enterprise should do away with this Jones provision .

No such restrictions apply in Australia, New Zealand or Asia.

Yes I agree the Jones Act is so archaic.

Has anyone else had to embark their ship in Ensenada because of this act. What chaos it was as we trundled our way from San Diego over the border into Mexico to meet the ship. The check-in is completed at a hotel kilometres away from the port so another bus is required from their to the port.

Finally as we wait at the port we watch our ship gracefully cruise into port - from San Diego where we had seen it leave.

Then we wait and wait until the tide is high enough so as we can access the gangway onto this ship without having to crawl on board.

Yes it should be scrapped or amended to suit moden day requirements. The Jones Act was passed in 1920.

Archived