TRAVEL INSURANCE DOESN"T ALWAYS PAY OFF

Merion_Mom

Dear friends and fellow travelers,

I come to the boards this afternoon with a pounding heart and a wet face.

After not hearing from my insurance company for more than six weeks after filing my claim, I called them. Two days later, just now, the claims person called me back.

QUICK SUMMARY: We were scheduled to sail on a New Year's Eve cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, departing on 12/26/04. USAir that weekend had MAJOR difficulties. They lost tens of thousands of passengers' bags. They cancelled HUNDREDS of flights. Our flight was cancelled. Despite hours of frantic work, we were unable to find a flight that would get us to Fort Lauderdale before the ship sailed at 6 P.M. on Sunday, 12/26. I managed to find us a flight that would get us to Florida later that night, and I arranged for a rental car to drive to Key West, the ship's first port of call. Royal Caribbean said that we were forbidden from boarding in Key West. (longer story not for this posting). We were thus stuck at home instead of going on our cruise.

Yes, I had purchased travel insurance, from a company recommended on the boards. Yes, it seemed to cover our loss.

Today, "Melissa" informed me that they only cover our loss if the flight is cancelled for one of THREE reasons: official labor strike, inclement weather, or mechanical failure of aircraft. Period. Not covered. Not getting a penny back. I am out BIG BUCKS here.

I asked her, WHY WOULD I WANT TRAVEL INSURANCE if things like this, TOTALLY beyond my control, are not covered by said travel insurance? She verbally shrugged, and told me that it wasn't covered, no money, tough luck.

Carol

Oh, yes, some of you will want to know the name of this insurance company. It is one of the big ones on "insure my trip", a highly recommended website here on Cruise Critic. The company is CSA travel.

Boy, that is terrible. You have to be out a bundle, losing the whole thing. Why wouldn't RCI let you on in Key West?? Part of insurance (if they would cover you) is catch up transportation. What good is catch up transportation if they won't let you on the ship?????

I would file against USAir....if you look at some news clips, they called it an unofficial stirke---tons of employees calling in sick. You may have some recourse there.

Sorry you lost your trip, and good luck.

I agree with erie Dave as I was about to say the same thing: Although US Air did not officially go out on strike, it was about the same thing and they should be held responsible if the insurence company won't cough up the money. I can't beleive what you are saying! By that I don't mean I don't believe you, I certainly do, but it's awful and beyond me. It seems there should be someone else you could contact, I have no clue who, but someone!!! NMNita

So sorry to hear that.I knew there were restrictions what they covered..But geez.I know I would be going after US Air..well,I would like to think I would,but thats probably useless:(

The reason you can't get on in Key West,I am assuming is that weird Jones Act thing.

I am sorry...I hope you are able to re-coop something..

Boy..cruising is a huge risk isn't it.

Carol,

I would not let it rest. Did you book your cruise through a T/A?

If so I would have them go to bat for you.

If not I would ask to speak to a supervisor.

If that fails file a suit against the insurance company in small claims court.

You will be surprised how that will make them move.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

mcboo:)

Yes, it's the Jones Act thing. They can't "transport" people between two U.S. ports. If you get on at Fort Lauderdale and get off (ultimately) in Fort Lauderdale again, they haven't "transported" you - they just returned you to where you came from. If they let us get on in Key West, then off in Fort Lauderdale, technically they "transported" us between KW and FL.

I OFFERED to pay the penalty (web site said it is $200 per passenger) but they said that they would refuse us boarding in Key West.

Carol

I am so sorry to hear your sad story. I remember reading it on your original post. I suggest to you that you contact your States Insurance Comissioner and they will advise your how to file a proper complaint and they will work on your behalf. Let us know!!

Don't give up yet...examine your policy closely and perhaps you can file under another paragraphh--such as trip interupption, or trip delay. We had a fight with the insurance when weather WAS the cause--because flights must be cancelled for 24 hours! Most definitely involve your TA.

After reviewing other companies on insuremytrip, Merion's company looks like the same as the other companies as far as carrier delays are concerned. What a bad situation.

Don, thanks for doing that research for me. That's what my phone friend, "Melissa" from CSA insurance told me. You saved me from having to verify what she said.

In the eyes of the consumer, it certainly doesn't seem "fair", does it, that if the airline cancels a flight, there would be times that the insurance company wouldn't have to cover that.

I just realized how PARTICULARLY nice of "Melissa" it was to call me at 5 P.M. on a Friday afternoon so that I couldn't contact anyone for 65 hours!

Carol

Don't give up yet...examine your policy closely and perhaps you can file under another paragraphh--such as trip interupption, or trip delay. We had a fight with the insurance when weather WAS the cause--because flights must be cancelled for 24 hours! Most definitely involve your TA.

No TA.

Carol

David: Credit card protests only work BEFORE THE BILL is paid. A cruise has to be paid in full NINETY DAYS before sailing! That means that I paid that credit card bill back in September!

But thanks for the good thoughts. I'm going to pursue this, rest assured.

Carol

Don, thanks for doing that research for me. That's what my phone friend, "Melissa" from CSA insurance told me. You saved me from having to verify what she said.

In the eyes of the consumer, it certainly doesn't seem "fair", does it, that if the airline cancels a flight, there would be times that the insurance company wouldn't have to cover that.

I just realized how PARTICULARLY nice of "Melissa" it was to call me at 5 P.M. on a Friday afternoon so that I couldn't contact anyone for 65 hours!

Carol

We will be on the Jewel in July, and I was looking at some posts and questions you had last year. Your anticipation and excitement for this trip really makes me so sad now to hear what happened.

Credit card protest can be made after the bill is paid. I just did it today and got a $40. charge taken off that was put on 1-4 and paid end of Jan. I certainly would try it, also the cost of the insurance, since they didn't pay up.

Credit card protest can be made after the bill is paid. I just did it today and got a $40. charge taken off that was put on 1-4 and paid end of Jan. I certainly would try it, also the cost of the insurance, since they didn't pay up.

In your case you were lucky, under the Fair credit billing act they did not have to do that. But, for $40.00, they figure they will keep yopu happy. With Carol, we are talking thousands.

I would try the credit card company, too. I purchased an extended car warranty in 2001, and warranty company went bankrupt in 2003. I filed a dispute, and I just now received my refund. Yes, it took awhile and I did have to follow up with the credit card company a few times, but I still got my money back.

Good Luck!

I would try the credit card company, too. I purchased an extended car warranty in 2001, and warranty company went bankrupt in 2003. I filed a dispute, and I just now received my refund. Yes, it took awhile and I did have to follow up with the credit card company a few times, but I still got my money back.

Good Luck!

Yes, it never hurts to try, but your bankrupt sitiation is much different under the law than Carol's situation.

Archived