Tiger Airways Entire Fleet Grounded

Just heard this on the news. Tiger Airways entire fleet have been shut down for a minimum 5 days by CASA due to serious safety issues. CASA are going to court to have it extended.

If your booked on Tiger (apparently they haven't been flash on notifying people) start looking for other flights. It has also been advised refunds will not be given for at least 4 weeks.

I'm not surprised.

Can't say I am surprised. They have been cancelling flights left right and centre of the past couple of weeks. I would never fly with them given their history with cancellations.

Sorry to any affected people. I would not delay in starting to find alternative travel. I guess this is why we take out travel insurance.

A terrible situation for booked passengers.

What gets is my people would even contemplate booking with them. They are not that cheap given that you have to pay so many extra charges.

I personally would never consider flying with them, especially after watching the program on TV that featured them. The check-in staff were so harsh on the passengers, which to me reflected on how their management style is.

I agree 100% - it was cheaper for us to fly Qantas nearly every time we have gone interstate.

I always had a bad gut feeling about them since day 1 - you will never get me on one of their planes.

Good to hear Qantas and Virgin are doing their best to help out stranded passengers. They stop work action has even been cancelled.

If you ever saw the show on tiger airways you would not fly with them I think it used to be on channel 7.

A family member flew with them I said dont fly tiger what happened may you ask?

they canicled his flight cause of a bomb scare delayed his flight by a few ours and was landing at another airport close by so he changed his hire car to new place then when he got there tiger changed it back without telling anyone.

I dont think I would suggest flying tiger :(

Can't say I am surprised. They have been cancelling flights left right and centre of the past couple of weeks. I would never fly with them given their history with cancellations.

Likewise. Tiger has been so much in the news with cancellations over the years that I'm surprised they are still about.

That aside, getting to one's embarkation port can be stressful. I tend to worry about fog or flood closing our local airport.

It sort of reminds me of the recent British comedy Come fly with me - which was great.

In one of the episodes they made a fellow buy another ticket at check-in and once he bought the ticket they than proceeded to tell him that flight was cancelled.:D

I hope they do another series of that show.

That's a real downer, especially given that the school holidays have just started here in Victoria, so it is sure to upset a lot of family holiday plans.

Last year 6 of us had to book a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne and my friend emailed me with details to say Tiger was the cheapest.

Another friend said-don't do it.

I then looked into it myself, with prices, and found that when we factored in extra charges for luggage, jetstar only ended up $1 dearer, so we went with them.

Mind you, I am not rapt in Jetstar either, seats on the return flight were the squishiest I have seen in my life.

One of our sons flew with tiger on Friday night to Sydney with 7 mates for a surprise birthday party. Rang me yesterday to say they were in a spot of trouble and could I find out what other flights were available.

I could see another Hangover part 3 in the making with that lot stranded in Sydney:p.

When you think Tiger Airways is the budget airline part of Singapore Airlines, a reputable carrier, it amazes me they have been grounded because of pilot issues, such as low flying, let alone maintenance issues.

Let us hope the Tiger gets airborne again soon. Feel sorry for the people affected, school holiday time too. Qantas and Virgin must be rubbing their hands together, more $ for them.

Mind you, I am not rapt in Jetstar either, seats on the return flight were the squishiest I have seen in my life.

I tried Tiger once. Although not a fan I would have used them again if there was a substantial difference in price to justify the risk. However, I laughed at your comment as that was one of the things that stood out with Tiger for me - their seat felt little more than a plank with a tiny bit of sponge, and was the firmest I've ever had. I'd hate to be on it for more than an hour.

One thing to note is this is Tiger domestic only; international is still running as it had been.

I tried Tiger once. Although not a fan I would have used them again if there was a substantial difference in price to justify the risk. However, I laughed at your comment as that was one of the things that stood out with Tiger for me - their seat felt little more than a plank with a tiny bit of sponge, and was the firmest I've ever had. I'd hate to be on it for more than an hour.

One thing to note is this is Tiger domestic only; international is still running as it had been.

Singapore Airlines only holds 32%. Who else holds the rest? Probably Air Egypt :p

The jetstar plane we caught last year, from Melb to Brisbane and later on, return, had seats that weren't too bad as such, but they could not be moved. There was no recliner function.

I haven't flown all that much, so i was quietly feeling around for the switch/button, surreptitiously, and felt a bit incompetent because I couldn't find it. Then our friend, who flies all the time, said later there wasn't one!

The flight up was okay but on the flight back, the airline had obviously squashed in a few more rows. Even I felt slightly unnerved and there was one passenger who had a panic attack and started crying, with claustrophobia.

It was almost impossible to open a small book, put it that way.

-------------------------

If Tiger can recover from this, I will be surprised. I for one would not book with them in the forseeable future, too risky.

Don't know about Ryan air!

Tiger is 32.9% Singapore airlines, the remainder is owned by two or three investment companies.:)

Good investment companies then hey?? :confused:..hope its not mine lol

Ryan Air hey?..I would imagine If you were a pilot a name like Ryan would be a great name :D

Super-cheap airlines (not just Tiger) can only afford to operate at those prices if they cut corners elsewhere incluing inadequate maintenance and staff training, including pilots. For CASA to shut down the entire airline there must have been some serious breaches which we don't know the half of. Serves them right if they go out of business.

Archived