All things wi fi

There are frequent requests for information with regards to Wi Fi access on board RCCL ships so I figured I would see how you feel about having the info in one place here. As an avid blogger I try to keep abreast of the packages but I’m not clear about which ships have Wi Fi access throughout as opposed to via hot spots. I also understand that there are new packages introduced on some ships and would personally welcome these being added here too.

On Adventure, for example, hotspots are :

Deck 14 : Viking Lounge

Deck 11 : Solarium

Deck 5 : Café Promenade and Schooner Bar

Deck 4 : Dog and Duck Pub

Deck 2 : Conference Centre

Current info from the website :

To use our Wi-Fi access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-fi access through your own laptop is:

The basic rate is USD 0.65 per minute or choose from one of our pre-paid packages:

USD 35.00 for 60 minutes

USD 55.00 for 100 minutes

USD 75.00 for 150 minutes

USD 100.00 for 250 minutes

USD 150.00 for 500 minutes

The same rates apply when using their workstations and are subject to change without notice.

I'm aware that people bring on their iPads and other operating systems. I think it would be wonderful if those who do would post any useful tips and advice here too.

Useful information provided elsewhere

It's always easier and more economical to use your own laptop, smartphone or tablet. Take the laptop for example. Set up an email app (instead of using a browser for email). Once you're on the ship you can: 1) log on to WiFi, 2) download emails, 3) log off of Wifi. Then you can take your time reading emails and composing replies. Then you 1) log on, 2) send replies, 3) log off.

When you use the ship's computer the clock is ticking the entire time. I once checked my email every other day on a seven day cruise and used less than thirty minutes of WiFi time.

Same procedure for a smartphone or tablet. The only requirement is that you use a dedicated email app (Apple's Mail, Microsoft's Outlook or Mozilla's Thunderbird) instead of a web browser. And it's easy to setup and test before leaving home.

Another reason one might want to being their own laptop is if you want to upload photo files. The ship's computers have no USB, memory card, or optical drive access.

WiFi access available all over the ship except for the Amber Theater. I didn't check in Studio B, though I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want people texting, googling, etc during production shows.

New unlimited access package for 1 week = $119 for 1 concurrent device. (you can apply C&A coupons)

Additional packages for up to 8 devices, but I don't remember the pricing. The 8 device package I think was in the $500 range.

I was using both an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) and an Android phone with good connection speeds.

Hope so..... unless someone beats me to it (please) need a guide on how to register the seapass card..... etc etc etc

I bet Patti can help. I can't remember the specific terminology on the screens. I just know you click on the farthest right icon, swipe your SeaPass card, enter your stateroom number, then enter a username and password.

WiFi access available all over the ship except for the Amber Theater. I didn't check in Studio B, though I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want people texting, googling, etc during production shows.

New unlimited access package for 1 week = $119 for 1 concurrent device. (you can apply C&A coupons)

Additional packages for up to 8 devices, but I don't remember the pricing. The 8 device package I think was in the $500 range.

I was using both an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) and an Android phone with good connection speeds.

Fantastic. Thanks.

I bet Patti can help. I can't remember the specific terminology on the screens. I just know you click on the farthest right icon, swipe your SeaPass card, enter your stateroom number, then enter a username and password.

Awesome.

Initial log in has to be at one of the computers on board.

Subsequent log ins can be on the laptop / Netbook etc.

It's important to note that you are not warned that your package time has run out. The per minute charge is automatically applied.

You are given the option to save the log in/off screen. Do that. When you are done you just click through that screen and you are told how much you have used, not how much you have left. THAT info will be available when you log back in..... in $$ not minutes if memory serves me correctly.

If you have probs logging off go to Guest Services. They can adjust that specific log in from their work stations and credit the time back. They can also provide the specific URL to type in the address bar if it happens again.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Awesome.

Initial log in has to be at one of the computers on board.

Subsequent log ins can be on the laptop / Netbook etc.

It's important to note that you are not warned that your package time has run out. The per minute charge is automatically applied.

You are given the option to save the log in/off screen. Do that. When you are done you just click through that screen and you are told how much you have used, not how much you have left. THAT info will be available when you log back in..... in $$ not minutes if memory serves me correctly.

If you have probs logging off go to Guest Services. They can adjust that specific log in from their work stations and credit the time back. They can also provide the specific URL to type in the address bar if it happens again.

On the Allure, you do not need to use the internet cafe to set up your account. First you connect to the Royal WiFi signal, then start an internet browser of your choice. The Royal WiFi packages are displayed and you select the one you want. You set up your logon with username, password and folio id. I assume that if you have a multi-user package, you'll set up username/passwords for each user. If you have an unlimited package, it shows you how much time you have left (depressing to watch your cruise hours slip away....). I don't know what the 'by the minute' packages display. Someone who is currently on either the Allure or Oasis implied that you have to use the minute package at one time.

Hope so..... unless someone beats me to it (please) need a guide on how to register the seapass card..... etc etc etc

On most ships, you have to do that step at the internt cafe onboard.

BTW, we've found that tablets access the ships wi-fi much faster than laptops - probably because safari and android browsers don't carry all the baggage that a pc browser needs.

Edited by orville99

Can someone please confirm the same applies to Oasis with regards to WiFi access and the different package option?

Good post topic!!

On the Explorer, if you are applying a coupon from the RCI Ultimate Value Booklet, you need to have already used the internet services prior to presenting the coupon to Guest Services. They would not apply the coupon until I had incurred charges, which makes sense.

Teddie

Edited by teddie

Thanks teddie.

There appears to be discrepancy across the fleet as to charges. Some are still charging the rates as in post #1

Just off Freedom and effective December 23, 2012, here is the current Internet Rate and available packages.....

Per Minute Rate is now $.75 per minute

Packages of bundled minutes:

$ 25.95 for 38 minutes (66 cents per minute)

$ 49.95 for 90 minutes (56 cents per minute)

$ 99.00 for 208 minutes (48 cents per minute)

$199.55 for 555 minutes (35 cents per minute)

$399.95 for 1666 minutes (25 cents per minute)

Internet packages do not have to be used up in one session. You can log in and out any time throughout your voyage to use the minutes in your internet package.

Due to the discounted package rates, packages are not eligible for partial refunds.

Internet packages are connected only to the SeaPass card swiped at the time of purchase and not to all the SeaPass Cards in your stateroom.

IMPORTANT: If you exceed your package of minutes during a session, the additional minutes will be billed at the same per minute rate of the package you bought until you log off.

Packages cannot be upgraded and you cannot buy additional minutes until your current package has been fully depleted.

Post from guest recently debarked from Allure with a screenshot of the package currently in use there :

Hi everyone,

Someone on here said that no where does it say that you have to use RCI's internet consecutively. I'm not sure why they didn't believe me since I just got off of the ship, so I took a screen shot of their login screen to show you all.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or put it in the one where someone said that to me, but I figured everyone would want to see it.

It says it on the top paragraph.

rciinternet_zps1b27fe2b-1_zps71fc65c6.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

That's all there is to it. :D When doing a b2b, a new User ID and password are necessary when setting up a new account.

Thanks.

Seems the website's dated, I can't imagine you have to have a laptop with windows. I've heard plenty of people discuss accessing with tablets and smartphones.

I won't make any value judgements just my experience. My Andriod smartphone worked just fine when I got connected. My windows laptop worked far better.

On my smartphone, the Allure's wifi network would kick me off the network too quickly. I would turn on the phone's wifi, then try to get to the internet screen to login to my Allure wifi account. I had to do this before it kicked me out of the wifi network. It seemed once you optained an IP address, you had a brief period to login before it was taken away. Just my experience, or maybe just my cellphone.

Based on that screenshot, it looks like in regards to the $20 "daily plan" that multiple devices can connect during the 24 hours, but only 1 device at a given time? Also, connecting with my mac laptop means that I can use the "Messages" app to exchange texts with other iphone users and it uses wi-fi and not data...

Post from guest recently debarked from Allure with a screenshot of the package currently in use there :

Based on that screenshot, it looks like in regards to the $20 "daily plan" that multiple devices can connect during the 24 hours, but only 1 device at a given time? Also, connecting with my mac laptop means that I can use the "Messages" app to exchange texts with other iphone users and it uses wi-fi and not data...

That is correct, you can use multiple devices, but only one at a time. It also means you can share one logon, just one device at a time.