Radiance Class Room 1054 Not Eligible for Balcony/Suite Discount

I posted yesterday (and the thread mysteriously disappeared) that I was going to see if I could get the $125 C&A Emerald Discount for Stateroom 1054 on the Serenade. This stateroom, which is new to the refurbished Radiance Class ships, is located on Deck 10 where the Concierge Lounge used to be. It is a unique room. It is sometimes referred to as a two-room suite. It also has a balcony. But in RCCL's system, it is called "Family Oceanview (FO)."

Given the room's uniqueness, I thought it might qualify for the $125 discount for Emerald as either a suite or a balcony room. I called my travel agent just now. They called Royal. No dice. It's considered an oceanview, even though it has a balcony. Indeed, pictures of the balcony can be seen on other Cruise Critic threads.

Should I push this with Royal or should I just be happy I got this awesome room (and at a pretty great rate in the first place)?

Are you sure it has a balcony? I was on that ship as it went into dry dock and I was told that because of the complaints about the tiny sliver of a balcony that the family suite got on Radiance that they would be making it into a family suite with NO balcony. They would be increasing the size of the living room instead by that tiny little bit. You might be surprised when you walk in if there is no balcony. I don't know for sure since I haven't seen it since the refurbishment. Deck plans are sometimes wrong in those details.

Are you sure it has a balcony? I was on that ship as it went into dry dock and I was told that because of the complaints about the tiny sliver of a balcony that the family suite got on Radiance that they would be making it into a family suite with NO balcony. They would be increasing the size of the living room instead by that tiny little bit. You might be surprised when you walk in if there is no balcony. I don't know for sure since I haven't seen it since the refurbishment. Deck plans are sometimes wrong in those details.

Very interesting info. You might be right. The picture that is shown on CC is from the Radiance. Perhaps when they were read doing the Serenade, they jettisoned the tiny balcony. Frankly, that would be fine with me because the balcony is so small. If it means that there is more room in the state room itself, I would be fine with no balcony. We will see.

I was trying to post on your other thread last night when it *seemed* to disappear on me.

There was another thread recently about these Family Oceanview rooms being confused with the Two bedroom suites that that used to be known as the "Royal family suite" -- someone had booked the family oceanview relying on the phone rep reading the description over the phone since there was nothing published in the deck plan, and it sounded like the rep referred to the wrong cabin description.

The voyager class has had these family oceanview cabins that sleep 6 for some time, but they are not a 2 room suite and are only an oceanview cabin so do not qualify for the balcony discount.

If you look at the deck plans for deck 8, you can see the proper descriptions for both the TS and FO cabins.

I do see in the deck plan the placement of this cabin 1054 on serenade, but if you look closely, there is a line a next to the outline of the balcony for that cabin- not sure if that means that the balcony is not accessible.

I think they still have the mistake on the deck 10 plans for that cabin 1054 because the abbreviation shows as FO but the description is "two bedroom family suite" , but if you look up the staterooms under staterooms, TS is the abbreviation for two bedroom suite and it would most definitely qualify for the C&A discount.

Not trying to get you upset, but hopefully help flag a problem that you may be able to get addressed if needed before it is too late.

Thanks for the info. RCCL actually does a pretty good job of correctly identifying this room on its website. With that info and the (relatively scant) info on Cruise Critic about this room, I know what I am getting. Mostly. I guess I'll have to wait till we board to find out if they kept the same tiny balcony as is on Radiance 1054. But I am intrigued by the uniqueness of this stateroom.

I think calling back Royal and even emailing them a picture of the balcony on the Radiance version of 1054 wouldn't be enough to qualify for the C&A discount. If they see the room is labeled an FO--with the "O" as in "oceanview" being the key--they'll simply say the discount doesn't apply even though it arguably should.

Thanks for the info. RCCL actually does a pretty good job of correctly identifying this room on its website. With that info and the (relatively scant) info on Cruise Critic about this room, I know what I am getting. Mostly. I guess I'll have to wait till we board to find out if they kept the same tiny balcony as is on Radiance 1054. But I am intrigued by the uniqueness of this stateroom.

I think calling back Royal and even emailing them a picture of the balcony on the Radiance version of 1054 wouldn't be enough to qualify for the C&A discount. If they see the room is labeled an FO--with the "O" as in "oceanview" being the key--they'll simply say the discount doesn't apply even though it arguably should.

You don't have to wait until you board. It is confirmed with 100% certainty there is no balcony in the old concierge lounge family suite. I have a friend on board Serenade now who along with an officer has confirmed there is none.

• 1 month later...

1054 on Radiance definitely DOES have a balcony. It is a ridiculously small balcony - with a terrible step over to get to it, but it does have a balcony. I ave been on it.

And the RFS do get he balcony discount so yes, argue the point.

Raina

1054 on Radiance definitely DOES have a balcony. It is a ridiculously small balcony - with a terrible step over to get to it, but it does have a balcony. I ave been on it.

And the RFS do get he balcony discount so yes, argue the point.

Raina

Sorry you're a bit confused..the subject isn't about the "RFS" we all know that those have a balcony and of course get the extra points.

Sorry you're a bit confused..the subject isn't about the "RFS" we all know that those have a balcony and of course get the extra points.

My apologies.

I thought the thread was about room 1054 on Radiance class.

The four ships in the class aren't identical - I think that Radiance and Brilliance had CLs with tiny balconies (and no way to get to them), while Jewel and Serenade's CL's didn't have them in the first place, and therefore had a little more space (and computer terminals). So RCI would have had to build a new balcony for the cabin, and I'm sure that wasn't in the budget.

The cabins are different categories - I'm seeing that on Radiance it's a TS (although I have a hard time believing that the balcony is 195sf) and on Serenade it's an FO.

RCI messed up on several fronts when they redid Rhapsody, including stating on the website that the new Family JS had a balcony when in fact it did not. Perhaps they have learned to be more careful now.

On SERENADE 1054 is NOT a balcony. It is a Family Oceanview, so it would not qualify for a balcony discount. On Radiance, it does have a tiny balcony. I would assume it would qualify for the discount on Radiance. I know it is confusing with Radiance CLASS ships and the Radiance SHIP itself. However, with the recent upgrades to these ships, 1054 is not identical on all ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I have just this minute booked cabin 1054 on the Serenade for the TA in November....I can't find any photos at all of it since the update. Can someone please post some or email me a few? Any first hand info would be hugely appreciated:) Square footage ect....I know the sits all say 319 sqft---but I think this one is larger since the refit.

Thanks so much

a

Archived