Scavenger Hunt on Carnival

IMKTDQT810

Hello Everyone,

This question is for those parents that have been on Carnival and knows something about the "scavenger hunt". From what I was reading on the carnival boards (from posts about letting their children sign themselves out of camp to go do the scavenger hunt). Is this something that takes place during the day or the evening and what exactly does it consist of? Are there groups of kids doing it or every man/child for themselves? Just wondering...thanks!!

Hello Everyone,

This question is for those parents that have been on Carnival and knows something about the "scavenger hunt". From what I was reading on the carnival boards (from posts about letting their children sign themselves out of camp to go do the scavenger hunt). Is this something that takes place during the day or the evening and what exactly does it consist of? Are there groups of kids doing it or every man/child for themselves? Just wondering...thanks!!

on our last carnival cruise our DD participated. Both Scavenger hunts took place on sea days during the day. They were in groups of 3 or 4. This was her first time with sign in/out privileges so we were a little nervous (even stalked her a little :o) but all went well!

What age are you talking about. Our DD is 8 yrs. old. For her age group, the scavenger hunt is a family activity - sooo fun. We actually won last cruise. For the older group, the kids divide in to groups and run around the ship. I think some are a little young to be unsupervised, but that's just my opinion. My DD will be quite a bit older before she will be participating without parents.

Those 8 and under do not have sign out priveledges.

Those priviledges start with the 9yo group.

This is a major reason why an older 8yo cannot go up to the next club.

The scavenger hunt for Camp Carnival (the family one) was digital (camera or phone) and consisted of things like...

make a Conga line with 10 people that are not your family

find a smiling Carnival employee and take a picture of them

Take a picture on each floor of the ship (including the funnel)

It was fun and lasted about 45 minutes for us. We won and got super cute Camp Carnival medals.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Congrats on the win! We won medals and a small ship trophy DD displays in her room.

Same kind of things - except on the Breeze - we had some photos that were more difficult but worth more points. EX: photo of someone in your group coming down a slide. Luckily my DD lives in her swimsuit!

If you have kids - definitely do the scavenger hunt - it's really fun!

So much fun! I was on a cruise once and a group of boys with a clipboard ran up to me and asked me where I was from. I said Virginia and they looked so disappointed! They said we already have Virginia and turned to walk away. I said, Well, I'm originally from Massachusetts, they were soooo excited then! :)

That's too funny...the poor kids were probably getting told by most passengers the same state and then viola....you made their day!! I hope it's something DS would have fun with, but I wouldn't push him into it if for some reason he would rather do something else. What time of the day would you say they take place? I know one person said they were on sea days. Since this cruise will be DH's 40th BD I was planning on getting him a surprise massage on a sea day...my luck I would have it booked at the same time as this. But if I can figure out when they take place (like say 2 pm or 4 pm) then I'll book his surprise in a morning slot. Thanks!!

Same kind of things - except on the Breeze - we had some photos that were more difficult but worth more points. EX: photo of someone in your group coming down a slide. Luckily my DD lives in her swimsuit!

The slide was closed the day of the hunt, so we did a picture of her standing at the bottom of it. The most time consuming (and tiring) was that you had to get a picture on each deck from 1-12, but were not allowed to use the elevator. Oy.

on our last carnival cruise our DD participated. Both Scavenger hunts took place on sea days during the day. They were in groups of 3 or 4. This was her first time with sign in/out privileges so we were a little nervous (even stalked her a little :o) but all went well!

This is exactly what our DD did as well this past May (she is 11) on her first time signing in/out. It was her favorite thing she did in Camp Carnival! Our 8 yr old stayed behind in CC since she was not old enough to go;)

• 2 weeks later...
So much fun! I was on a cruise once and a group of boys with a clipboard ran up to me and asked me where I was from. I said Virginia and they looked so disappointed! They said we already have Virginia and turned to walk away. I said, Well, I'm originally from Massachusetts, they were soooo excited then! :)

We had the same thing happen to us (only it was languages). We gave them the 6 that my DH and I speak between us, they were very, very happy!

• 2 months later...
The scavenger hunt for Camp Carnival (the family one) was digital (camera or phone) and consisted of things like...

make a Conga line with 10 people that are not your family

find a smiling Carnival employee and take a picture of them

Take a picture on each floor of the ship (including the funnel)

It was fun and lasted about 45 minutes for us. We won and got super cute Camp Carnival medals.

Sounds fun! My son can do it by himself but it sounds like we will be participating with my daughter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It will depend on the age. I think the older age groups have independent scavenger hunts. The kids run all over the ship in small groups. Up to age 8, the scavenger hunt is a family activity. If your child is under 8, I definitely recommend giving it a try. My DD and husband didn't want to do it - but as soon as we started - we all had soooo much fun. My DD will not be roaming the ship(even in a pack) until she is quite a bit older than 9 - no flaming - just my opinion.

I remember being on a Carnival cruise almost 20 years ago during which a small group of kids came up to us with a paper. On it was a list of different traits or categories and they were supposed to have passengers sign off on ones that fit them.

Years later, my daughter was in the Pirateers (7 to 12) group on a Princess cruise. She came up to us, accompanied by one of the Pirateer staff, with the same sort of list. The reason she was with a counselor was that we didn't give her sign-out privileges. An example of a category I remember (because I couldn't sign off on that for her) was "hates pineapple." I'm guessing that the kids who had sign-out privileges formed teams and did the hunt together.

• 9 months later...

My son is almost 4 years old and LOVES scavenger hunts when we do them with the neighborhood kids. Since I do not think that Camp Carnival does a family scavenger hunt with his age group, I am planning on doing our own family scavenger hunt with the prize being something from the gift shop. :)

Thanks for posting this as it gave me some good ideas to put in my home-made scavenger hunt I plan on bringing with us! (Also bringing a treasure map & treasure chest for him on Half Moon Cay!)

If anyone has a copy and/or more ideas for the scavenger hunt- please do post them :)

Thanks,

Kim

• 1 month later...

Carnival does a family scavenger hunt for the 2-5 and 6-8. Or at least they did on our last cruises.

There is also an adult scavenger hunt, which I guess you could take kids on too. One of our things was like a picture with the entertainment staff and a picture of a man in heels. :D DH borrowed a lady that was walking by shoe. Her tiny shoe looked crazy on his big foot.