Drink pckg with WCH

wolfcathorse

Here is my experience with the premium drink package on the 9-16-13 sailing of Majesty of the Seas. I will post the results by day...so let's get some basic crap out of the way

1. I am Diamond Plus

2. cruising solo

3. premium package for 4 days was $220

4. age 59, female

5. BMI - 41 (you'll understand why this is important later)

6. pre-diabetic, hyperlipidic, hypertensive...just plain hyper, hyper, hyper so I left the liver at home.

7. Cruise Director was Mitch Merucci

8. Captain was Capt Karin Stahre-Janson

9. Itinerary was Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West.

Day 1

I arrived at the terminal at 12:15 pm and was in the Schooner Bar by 12:40 pm. I knew I had a bottle of wine waiting for me in my cabin so I made it a goal to drink my $55 worth in beer...before muster. I will be scanning the drink menu from the Schooner Bar and Viking Crown Lounge, I never got around to stealing a menu from Boleros. I wanted to try stuff I've never had before.

First beer - Stella Artois ($4.75)

second - Red Stripe ($4.75)

then I thought I better go get lunch...

upon leaving the Compass Deli I stopped at the booze cart pool side and got

third beer - Sam Adams Boston Lager ($4.75), drank it on my way to my cabin to check to see if my carry on had been delivered. It wasn't... so back in the Schooner Bar...

fourth beer - Pilsner Urquell ($4.75)

fifth beer - Beck's ($4.75), then I had to go to the VCL to meet people from our informal roll call before the muster drill

After muster, back in the Schooner Bar...

sixth beer - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ($5.75), went back to cabin to unpack then it was time for the Diamond Event in the VCL so....

seventh beer - Corona Extra ($4.75)

eighth beer - Corona Extra ($4.75)

Decided it'd be wise to get dinner in WJ then went to the Welcome Aboard show at 8:15 pm. In the theatre...

ninth beer - Heineken ($4.75)

Since it had been a traveling day to the ship and I hadn't slept well the night before (got up at 5:30 am) I went to bed after the show. It was lights out by 9:15 pm

Day 2, Nassau

I knew I was behind in the count of trying to drink $55 worth of liquor a day. I kept track not including the 15% gratuity so if anyone can do the math for me...I flunked 9th grade Algebra. I also had not started my wine bottle...oh what to do, well start drinking of course...

I got up at 7 am as we were turning in the turnaround basin in Nassau. I felt fine, well rested. Got breakfast in WJ and headed you know where. I have never...ever, even as an illegally drinking teenager, started drinking this early in the morning!

9:00 am Schooner Bar

1st drink - Ultimate Blood Mary ($7.50)

2nd drink - Japanese Collins ($7.75), won trivia (just me against 2 guys)

3rd drink - Pomegranate Spritz ($7.75)

4th drink - Diet Coke ($2.25) then went to the C & A trivia, won that too, just me against an elderly couple and it was Super Mario's trivia (questions were put together by Mario).

- after a free jewelry making class (without my reading glasses and unable to concentrate), I grabbed lunch in WJ and went to DI to use my credit card.

Joyfully I returned to the ship and headed to...nope, not the Schooner Bar, that's inside and the sun had just come out! Found a lounger and ordered a

Ketel One cooler but the pool bar server brought me

5th drink - a Strawberry Daquiri instead ($7.00), trying to tell me it was the same thing. Everyone cleared the deck as it thundered and poured and got cold...so I took a nap in my cabin before the Top Tier party at 5:45.

I'm not counting the Long Island Ice Tea I had at the party since nobody had to pay for their drinks there. You could get whatever you wanted if you didn't like what the servers were going around with. **Note** on this ship, this sailing there where no hot or cold munchies served at the Top Tier party, just drinks.

After dinner in WJ I headed back to the Schooner Bar as I still hadn't made up for the prior days shortcoming...

6th drink - Ketel One Cooler ($7.75) then went to the nightly Diamond event in VCL...

7th drink - Key Lime Martini ($8.25)

8th drink - Mango Martini ($8.25), then went to the Love and Marriage Show, so in the theatre...

9th drink - Long Island Ice Tea ($9.50), after the show I stopped at my favorite place before going to Dancing Under the Stars...

10th drink - Sparkling Peach Martini ($10.50)

For the first time in my life I danced, or tried to. Music was too loud for these old ears so I found my cabin and discovered that the movie "42" was on so I laid in bed and watched that, lights out at 2:30 am. I think I'm ahead in the game.

Day 2, Nassau

I knew I was behind in the count of trying to drink $55 worth of liquor a day. I kept track not including the 15% gratuity so if anyone can do the math for me...I flunked 9th grade Algebra.

I have you at $50.32 including gratuity after day 1 (someone can double check my work). Based on just one day I have decided that the beverage package is not a good deal for me. :)

Edit...after Day 2 I have you at 138.30 total. ($87.98 for Day 2)

Hello all. I'm new to cruising and eagerly awaiting my first on Liberty of the Seas in October. I'm very interested in buying the premium drinks package but its proving difficult for me to calculate if it'll be worth it. I like to think I'll be able to drink enough to cover the costs. This is really helping though, keep the great info coming.

Are basic spirits included in the drink package,such as bourbon and coke or vodka and soda

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

All the drink packages on the various cruise lines vary somewhat. The Classic package ($44 pp per day) on celebrity includes lower shelf alcohol at less than $8 per drink, in addition to water, coffees, juices etc that are less than $5 per drink. Also, you get 20% off bottled wine. The premium package ($55 pp per day) includes drinks up to $12 each, premium spirits, wine, martinis, juices, water all included. You also get 30% off bottled wine. A 15% gratuity is added to the daily fee.

A good review is only a click away:

Bottoms Up! A Guide to Cruise Line All-You-Can-Drink Packages

Home > Features > Cruise Policies & Inside Info > Bottoms Up! A Guide to Cruise Line All-You-Can-Drink Packages

Hi, WCH. It sounds like you had a blast on your cruise! Thanks for coming back and detailing the drinks and costs required to get full value out of the package. I had no idea you had to consume so much! :eek:

Are cabin mates permitted to share a package, or is it an individual purchase?

Thanks, again. Cheers! :)

Hi, WCH. It sounds like you had a blast on your cruise! Thanks for coming back and detailing the drinks and costs required to get full value out of the package. I had no idea you had to consume so much! :eek:

Thanks, again. Cheers! :)

Individual purchase, sharing is against the rules.

We purchased the Premium pkg last May. We started to track actual drinks to see how we came out in the end, but quickly gave up. I figured that was one of the reasons for buying the pkg -- to not have to keep slips!

WCH - I'll be curious to see how you fare on port days. That's where we definitely lost ground.

Ann

Every cabin mate over 21 has to purchase the package. The only exception to the rule would be a Drs note that says the particular person cannot drink alcohol.

No telling how much that gets abused. :o

No sharing allowed though.

Archived