Minor child traveling with one parent - what documents are needed?

wendysh51

Hello everyone. My son (age 8) and I are anxiously counting down the days until our cruise to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas in July. While we travel together frequently, this is our first cruise.

I have some questions on required documentation. I already have his passport and a notarized form signed by his father giving me permission to travel with our son to Canada (the cruise ends in Vancouver and we will spend 2 days there). It has the dates listed as well.

Does RCL also require a notarized consent form that specifies what ship and what shore excursions we will be going on? Or can my son board the ship and go on excursions simply because at least one parent is present?

...I already have his passport and a notarized form signed by his father giving me permission to travel with our son to Canada (the cruise ends in Vancouver and we will spend 2 days there). It has the dates listed as well.

Does RCL also require a notarized consent form that specifies what ship and what shore excursions we will be going on? Or can my son board the ship and go on excursions simply because at least one parent is present?

You are ahead of what many people do. Often you will not be asked for any documentation, but the cruise line and immigration people are entirely within their rights to ask for it. If I'm reading this correctly you have permission from the other parent to enter Canada, but it does not mention the cruise? It should mention both (although I suspect that having permission for clearly associated travel, you might be allowed to slide). If you don't already have permission clearly listing the entire trip, and are able to get without major trouble, I would do so. As RoyalFan2011 said, better safe than sorry.

Generally only one parent is needed to approve waivers for sports or excursions, or to approve medical attention.

Alaska is a great trip - ENJOY

Thom

Hello everyone. My son (age 8) and I are anxiously counting down the days until our cruise to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas in July. While we travel together frequently, this is our first cruise.

I have some questions on required documentation. I already have his passport and a notarized form signed by his father giving me permission to travel with our son to Canada (the cruise ends in Vancouver and we will spend 2 days there). It has the dates listed as well.

Here is a link to what the cruise line tells you to bring.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5

If you child has a different last name than you, you will need to bring his passport and his birth certificate. You need the birth certificate as a link to prove you as the parent. Click "Family Legal Documents" in the link above for an explanation.

I've taken my son on numerous cruises with no letter from his father and no one has ever asked. His father is not involved in his life but did sign off on his passport - don't know if he will sign off again when it's time to renew, but that's another topic. My son has my last name.

As many people have suggested go on the customs website and get your info or call them directly. Also call RCI and get their requirements. You don't mention if your divorced, or still married. Without that information people are only giving their opinion. You may also want to find out what restrictions Canada has. I can, without a doubt, tell you this, some of the posts have given you incorrect information.

Aft Cabins Rule

hello there ,

we were on Allure in October this year.

I am remarried and therefore have a different family name from my 16 year old son.

I WAS ASKED FOR OFFICIAL PROOF AT CHECK IN AT FORT LAUDERDALE.

1 .i had a notarised copy of my divorce papers showing my previous married name

2. i had a copy of my son's birth certificate

3. notarised papers of permission to travel ouTside my country of residence (uk)

4. new marriage certificate as proof of my name change.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE RISK BY TRAVELLING WITHOUT THE DOCUMENTATION IT IS CRUCIAL TO CARRY IT WITH YOU

Edited by Lynnymac

...You don't mention if your divorced, or still married. Without that information people are only giving their opinion...

I can, without a doubt, tell you this, some of the posts have given you incorrect information...

I agree with the last part. Marital status (married, divorced, never married or whatever) has nothing to do with officials asking a solo adult traveling internationally with a minor for proof that they have authority to do so. BTW it is impossible to prove that you are still married.

I agree with the last part. Marital status (married, divorced, never married or whatever) has nothing to do with officials asking a solo adult traveling internationally with a minor for proof that they have authority to do so. BTW it is impossible to prove that you are still married.

No, what could be difficult to prove is that you are still happily married and not trying to kidnap your child.

However, you CAN easily prove that you have your spouse's permission to take your child out of the country with a notarized letter.

DH could not sail with us to Mexico during spring break last year, so I brought the letter with me, just to be safe, but I was never asked for it. Might be because DD has our family name, but I would still get a letter for every trip, just in case.

I'm divorced with joint legal and joint physical custody of my son.

I will bring with us - my passport, my drivers license, my son's original birth certificate, my son's passport, my divorce papers showing joint custody, and the notarized form I have from my ex giving permission for me to take our son to Canada in July of next year.

I already have what I need to get into and out of Canada. My question now is do I need to have notarized permission from my ex that gives permission for me to take him on the specific cruise and on the specific shore excursions. This would be a form that only RCL would require. I don't see anything about that on their website. Perhaps I should call them.

I'm divorced with joint legal and joint physical custody of my son.

I will bring with us - my passport, my drivers license, my son's original birth certificate, my son's passport, my divorce papers showing joint custody, and the notarized form I have from my ex giving permission for me to take our son to Canada in July of next year.

I already have what I need to get into and out of Canada. My question now is do I need to have notarized permission from my ex that gives permission for me to take him on the specific cruise and on the specific shore excursions. This would be a form that only RCL would require. I don't see anything about that on their website. Perhaps I should call them.

Sounds like you have very thing covered. You don't need to worry about shore excursions. Many time my DW has taken 1 child off and done one excursion while I have taken the other child on a different excursion later. Once your on the boat you are good to go.

Make sure your letter includes consent for any necessary / emergency medical treatment as well.

I have never been asked anything when filling out permission forms on board. Both parents could be on board and only one parent at ice skating or rock climbing and the staff would not know. The forms only needs one parent's signature.

I carry everything with me - passports, original birth certificates, custody orders, marriage certificate, divorce order, notarized letter of consent / medical. I have never even been asked where my children's father is when we drive across the border (we are Canadian), let alone asked to provide documentation. In our 4 previous cruises, I was asked once if I had the letter but they did not want to see it. Still, I would not chance boarding without any of the documentation.

Good for you for being so proactive!

Make sure your letter includes consent for any necessary / emergency medical treatment as well.

QUOTE]

Thanks for your post. Do I really need that though? Can't I make medical decisions for my son since I am his mother? :confused:

Edited by wendysh51

You don't need the letter for most shore excursions. Some of the excursions from Skagway enter Canada. You would need a letter if you plan to do one of those.
EVERYONE on the Skagway to Canada excursion WILL be asked for a passport. You MIGHT be asked for an authorization letter for a minor.

It is possible to do a closed loop cruise to Alaska out of say Seattle without a passport, and as an in-transit passenger you can get off and wander around ports in Canada without a passport equivalent (book, card, enhanced drivers license, etc). However the tour mentioned crosses into Canada by land and therefore requires a passport. Canada technically does not require a passport for US citizens, but they do require documents that allow you onward transportation (they don't want to be stuck with you). Since the US requires a passport, Canada will want your passport as a document necessary for onward travel.

Thom

QUOTE]

Thanks for your post. Do I really need that though? Can't I make medical decisions for my son since I am his mother? :confused:

The only time you will need a letter of consent for medical treatment is if you are traveling with a minor that is not your own child.

Aft Cabins Rule

QUOTE]

When I had to take my daughter to the medical centre onboard for strep throat nobody asked me anything about her father or his permission. I think you might run into problems in the event of a serious accident or illness, especially if you were dealing with a medical facility in another country instead of on the ship. Chances are, you would never need to use the letter for emergency medical treatment, but again, better safe than sorry.

I always chuckle to myself when I get these letters signed because my children's father makes absolutely no decisions about any aspect of their care and only sees them about 4 times a year. However, he has legal rights and people who don't know us have to follow rules.

Enjoy your cruise!:)