Vancouver Smoky

xlxo

For those departing from Vancouver, you might notice some smoke. There are wildfires nearby.

At this time there is no air adversaries. But if you have lung or breathing issues, you might want to plan ahead.

We are about a mile from the fire up here in Sechelt and you should see the smoke here this morning. The fire as been burning since Thursday afternoon, has consumed almost 200 acres of forest and still is only 40% contained. The good news about the Sechelt fire is that no dwellings have been lost although 18 cabin type properties are on evacuation alert. The fire is on the inlet side of the peninsula and as we are on the Georgia Strait side this is the first time we have actually had smoke....although Davis Bay to Vancouver has experienced it. At present there are no significant wind in the forecast to blow all this smoke in Vancouver where they don't notice it.

Sadly a firefighter has been killed fighting the forest fire up here in Sechelt....he is a local man so it really has hit close to home. For the past hour we have been experiencing some off shore winds which I hope may help to scour out some of the smoke.

I was at the game inside BC Place and it appeared hazy as the game went on.

PD - sorry to hear of the tragic death of a firefighter.

The US long range is showing a wind shift towards the end of the week that should cool down thing a bit.

It's hard to get to sleep and I have a 6 AM volunteer shift for FIFA tomorrow - it will be mostly shuttling the FIFA officials to the airport.

It was a tremendous show in downtown both before and after the game and Vancouver has once again done the great job of projecting a positive image of our city and the true north strong and free.

Cheers!

Dennis

I'm looking at the air readings and it's getting worse through the night... The North West (downtown?) shows a reading of 13... in the danger zone.

Edited by xlxo

Its slightly better up here this morning I can actually see East Trail Island which I couldn't yesterday but still can't see out into the Strait of Georgia. I doubt if the cruise ships saw anything this morning or will this evening. I am see winds to 10k later today which may help clear things up a bit.

The situation up here, a hour by ship from Vancouver, is certainly improving. I am just back from playing golf (wasn't sure if we were going to play at 7 am) and while there is smoke around we hardly can smell it and the ash has diminished measurably. I am posting this in our front room and I can see about halfway across the Straight of Georgia....about 8 miles I would guess. The Forestry Service in their latest update is advising the fire is still at about 200 acres and still only 40% contained. I am guessing that once contained it will burn for some time.

Edited by Putterdude

Agreed... I'm hesitant to advise anyone to explore the city in this poor air. Whistler and Squamish readings are nasty right now.

I notice air quality is expected to decline once the sun goes down later this evening.

The BC Forest Service has just updated us on the Old Sechelt Mine fire, in spite of being 40% contained it's has grown in the last 24 hrs to 370 acres. I fear they are going to find that the fire was caused by humans as the old mine site was the party site for young people.

The air quality in Vancouver was at its worst yesterday. We couldn't even open the windows at home since the smell of smoke was heavy in the air. Today, it's much cooler and the smell of smoke is gone for the most part. Unfortunately for those living east of Vancouver, the winds have pushed the smokey air into the Fraser Valley.

Although the smell of burning wood is gone, there is still an air quality advisory for the greater Vancouver area due to the small particulates still suspended in the air.

Google BC air quality for a link to those that grade the air around here.

I actually included the air readings link earlier.... no need to Google.

http://www.bcairquality.ca/readings/index.html

Vancouver is OK.... but Whistler looks bad with the Pemberton blazes.

Saw the latest satellite map... Seattle cruisers on the West side of Vancouver Island have it bad.

I wonder if cruise ships are designed with good air filtration systems. I guess they need something strong like for a gas attack.

Edited by xlxo

The Sechelt fire had grown to 620 acres this morning. Last night we could see the Wonder and the Sun sail by, however I doubt we will see any ships tonight.....there are none. I am guessing our visibility over the straight is about 8 or 9 miles....not much of an improvement.

We went to Stanley Park on Sunday to see the cruise ships sail and I felt sorry that they couldn't even see the mountains as they sailed under the bridge. It was very hazy. It is somewhat better today but I agree we really need a good downpour to clear things up.

You're welcome to some of our rain. Seems like we've gotten a ton this June and early July so far. However, you can only have it if you take our mosquitoes too.

Well when I look up I actually can see blue sky this evening....something that we haven't seen for almost a week. We would certainly welcome some of your rain....mosquitoes not so much.;)

Our fire up here in Sechelt has grown over the past two week to almost 1,025 acres which makes it larger than Stanley Park. It is however, 75% contained and the winds are taking the smoke away from Georgia Strait. The air has been pretty much clear of smoke and we have been able to see across the Strait into Nanaimo since Sunday....so cruisers will be able to enjoy the scenery offered up by Georgia and Johnstone Straits.:)