Copenhagen Hotel Advice

Greetings Fellow Cruisers,

We will be cruising May 2017, to Copenhagen. We plan on staying for 4 nights before flying home.

We while be purchasing the Copenhagen card for transportation.

What sights should we absolutely visit?

What part of the city should we stay in?

What hotels are recommended?

I do not want to stay at the airport.

Hotel preferences are very clean, nice bathroom, comfortable beds, safe area, easy walk to transportation.

I don't want to spend more that $200.00 a night.

Thank you for your advice.

Just don't worry about the Little Mermaid, it's one of the most overrated world tourist sights, few leave you more underwhelmed.

There is so much more to Copenhagen, buy a postcard it will show it in better light than you can photograph with the industrial backdrop.

$200 is not going to get you a fancy hotel in Copenhagen. In fact, for that amount of money, your choices will be in the budget range of hotels.

But, I've got a great recommendation of a budget hotel in Copenhagen that is clean, comfortable, safe and in a great location for getting around the city--the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade. The rooms are small, but modern and well-equipped with a table, chair, TV, bed and bathroom. The lobby area is large with lots of modern Danish seating and a bank of computers for your use. The breakfast buffet (70 DKK per person) is huge with lots of choices of food.

The hotel is located within easy walking distance of Nyhavn and the Stroget. You can also walk to Tivoli or the Little Mermaid--we did. There's also lots of public transportation options. We used public transport to get from the airport to the hotel; from the hotel to the cruise ship; and from the cruise ship to the hotel. (We were there both before and after our cruise last year.)

So, for dates in May 2017, the rooms vary from Standard (1050 DKK per night) to Heaven (1250 DKK per night) with an additional 140 DKK for breakfast for 2. That works out to $180 - $210 per night.

And for things to do and see in Copenhagen, I STRONGLY recommend Rick Steves' "CruisePorts of Northern Europe".

There's also lots of public transportation options. We used public transport to get from the airport to the hotel; from the hotel to the cruise ship; and from the cruise ship to the hotel. (We were there both before and after our cruise last year.).

Hello GradUT, DH and I are booked at this hotel before an upcoming cruise. I have made note of the public transportation instructions from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Would you be so kind as to share your instructions for public transportation from the airport to the Wakeup Borgergade?

Greetings Fellow Cruisers, We will be cruising May 2017, to Copenhagen. We plan on staying for 4 nights before flying home. We while be purchasing the Copenhagen card for transportation. What sights should we absolutely visit? What part of the city should we stay in?

What hotels are recommended? I do not want to stay at the airport.

Hotel preferences are very clean, nice bathroom, comfortable beds, safe area, easy walk to transportation. I don't want to spend more that $200.00 a night. Thank you for your advice.

GradUT: $200 is not going to get you a fancy hotel in Copenhagen. In fact' date=' for that amount of money, your choices will be in the budget range of hotels. [/quote']

Agree with GradUT that $200 a night might be a little limiting and narrow. Smart that you want to be more in the "heart" of the activities and charm of Copenhagen in the central business district. Much depends on your luck!! Why? In this town, like many areas, most of hotels and/or groups have their computers set-up to gauge demand and advanced bookings. Then, the computers adjust prices UP, UP (or maybe down) as market pressures dictate. Book early and keep checking back to see if bargains open up later as you get closer to time to be there in Copenhagen. Below is where we stayed with its super location, plus local character for modern Danish design. If things are busy during the period you will be in Copenhagen, its rate probably would be higher than your $200 target. Sorry. But, it's worth checking.

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Don't be shy! Keeping asking these good questions. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

For this historic town, my first tip is to do lots of "walking around". Lots to see and do!! Below are a few of my photos as "eye-candy" to boost your excitement for visiting here. You can see more at: “Copenhagen: Love, Pix's, etc.”

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356372

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 203,565 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!! It was constructed from 1670 to 1673, being dug by Swedish prisoners of war. It was a key "opening" from the sea to the old inner city where ships handled cargo and the catch of fishermen. It was "famous" for beer, sailors, and prostitution!! Surprised? Danish author Hans Christian Andersen lived at Nyhavn for 18 years.:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen. Amalienborg Slot includes four rococo-styled residences of Denmark’s royal family. This site includes a museum surrounding an octagonal cobblestone courtyard. You can witness the Royal guards walk from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace for the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. Adult fee for museum about $13. For more info, see: ses.dk/amalienborg.:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia. Rosenborg is also a garrison for the Danish Royal Guard. They depart for duty at Amalienborg Palace’s Changing of the Guards at around 11:15 or 11:30 am and it ends at Amalienborg a little bit before noon.:

OldPalace.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to our docked ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary. Legend has it that the Swedish King promised the goddess Gefion as much land as she could plow overnight. She turned her four sons into oxen and set about accomplishing this herculean task. By the time dawn broke, she had ploughed a sizeable chunk, which she then tossed into the sea. From it sprung the island of Zealand, where Denmark’s capital now sits.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Greetings Fellow Cruisers,

We will be cruising May 2017, to Copenhagen. We plan on staying for 4 nights before flying home.

We while be purchasing the Copenhagen card for transportation.

What sights should we absolutely visit?

What part of the city should we stay in?

What hotels are recommended?

I do not want to stay at the airport.

Hotel preferences are very clean, nice bathroom, comfortable beds, safe area, easy walk to transportation.

I don't want to spend more that $200.00 a night.

Thank you for your advice.

Actually, your hotel wish-list pretty much sums up the airport Hilton...

"What sights should we see" is a very subjective call. What do you want to see (there's loads to take in - more castles and palaces than you can shake a stick at, Gardens to get lost in, great views...) I'd plan an itinerary, post it over on Trip Advisor and await feedback (you might even see me there :))

One thing to be wary of is that the Copenhagen Card assumes that your daily free travel is the all-zone DKK130 variety as opposed to the 4-zone city pass of DKK72. There's a calculator over on the Copenhagen Card which can advise as to your proposed savings (or otherwise).

I'd agree that he Little Mermaid is definitely "Meh" and a note of caution should you be tempted by one of the canal cruises... you'll only get to see her ars*. If you really want to see her, take the water bus (included in your transit pass).

Hello GradUT, DH and I are booked at this hotel before an upcoming cruise. I have made note of the public transportation instructions from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Would you be so kind as to share your instructions for public transportation from the airport to the Wakeup Borgergade?

It's super easy to get to the Wakeup Borgergade hotel from the Copenhagen airport. Here's how to do it:

In the Copenhagen Airport, look for the easy-to-find signs directing you to the Metro.

Buy a 3-zone ticket from the machines (if you don't have a Copenhagen Card) for 36 DKK per person. You can use your credit card or cash (DKK).

Take M2 Metro to Kongens Nytorv Station.

Metro leaves every 6 minutes and trip takes 13 minutes.

At Kongens Nytorv Station take the elevator (escalators don’t go all way) to ground level.

Exit the station and walk 8 minutes to the hotel. (Check Google Maps for the route.)

It's super easy to get to the Wakeup Borgergade hotel from the Copenhagen airport. Here's how to do it:

In the Copenhagen Airport, look for the easy-to-find signs directing you to the Metro.

Buy a 3-zone ticket from the machines (if you don't have a Copenhagen Card) for 36 DKK per person. You can use your credit card or cash (DKK).

At Kongens Nytorv Station take the elevator (escalators don’t go all way) to ground level.

Exit the station and walk 8 minutes to the hotel. (Check Google Maps for the route.)

Thank you for taking the time, it is much appreciated!

We did this same metro route and walked to the Hotel Phoenix, a block from the Wakeup Hotel. Very efficient, good signage, and highly recommend.

I did the Baltic in May 2016 with Princess and flew in 3 days before the cruise. I ended up booking thru Princess and stayed at the Copenhagen Scandic, it was actually cheaper than booking direct. (and then I got the Princess transfers free) Fairly basic hotel room with a great buffet and a very nice location. Was only a 5 minute walk to Trivoli and the main square downtown. I walked all over the city, be sure and take a canal tour. Thru the hotel I booked an all day tour to several castles/towns outside the city that was very enjoyable. I wish I had gone in even earlier as there was lots more that I wanted to see.

I lucked out and for my entire visit in Copenhagen it was sunny with temps mid-high 70's. Perfect weather

Looking the price range of less than $100 USD for April. Does anyone have experience with Cabinn hotels? They look quite simple, clean and modern for the prices in good locations. Also coming up in my searches are the Wakeup Borgergate and Wakeup Carsten hotels.

Stated there in June pre and post cruise. TA booked us twin beds same as he has for stays all over the world. What we got was bunk beds, top one nearly six feet off ground. Daughter, in her forties not happy, me in my 60s certainly not happy or capable of getting up there.

Reception not very interested, you have two single beds that is what you booked. It's a twin room.

Eventually they transferred us to a double room. Mother daughter bonding, LOL.

The hotel was basic, rooms very small but we only wanted to sleep. Shower is a wet room style very tiny. Close to Tivoli but nothing else around, no restaurants, or grocery stores.

Check out Trip advisor. I think you can do better even if you gave to pay a little more it is worth it. Pretty much a glorified backpackers.

This is super helpful for me in reverse at the end of my trip. How is it cruise port to the wakeup hotel? (I have luggage and a cane-- but minus lots of stairs, this New Yorker can do it!!)

This is super helpful for me in reverse at the end of my trip. How is it cruise port to the wakeup hotel? (I have luggage and a cane-- but minus lots of stairs, this New Yorker can do it!!)

It is VERY easy to get from the Oceankaj cruise port to the Wakeup Borgergade Hotel--I did it last year too.

After debarking, go to the bus stop just outside the port area and take the special "25" bus. This bus, which departs every 20-30 minutes, runs only on days there are ships in port and stops at only 3 stations. Get off the bus at the Norreport Station and walk about 1/2 mile (12-15 minutes) to the Wakeup Borgergade Hotel. (Just look at Google Maps to see the route.)

Another option, which would require riding 2 buses, is to get on the #27 bus at Oceankaj to Osterport Station. There is as short walk to the #26 bus stop and you ride the #26 bus to the Borgergade stop. Then you just walk up Borgegade for a couple of blocks to the hotel.

Both rides will cost 24 DKK.

You shouldn't encounter any stairs other than the steps on the bus.

It is VERY easy to get from the Oceankaj cruise port to the Wakeup Borgergade Hotel--I did it last year too.

After debarking, go to the bus stop just outside the port area and take the special "25" bus. This bus, which departs every 20-30 minutes, runs only on days there are ships in port and stops at only 3 stations. Get off the bus at the Norreport Station and walk about 1/2 mile (12-15 minutes) to the Wakeup Borgergade Hotel. (Just look at Google Maps to see the route.)

Another option, which would require riding 2 buses, is to get on the #27 bus at Oceankaj to Osterport Station. There is as short walk to the #26 bus stop and you ride the #26 bus to the Borgergade stop. Then you just walk up Borgegade for a couple of blocks to the hotel.

Both rides will cost 24 DKK.

You shouldn't encounter any stairs other than the steps on the bus.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

I am not sure its even opened yet, its located out in the old freeport so its only a 5 minute bus ride away from Oceankaj.

Bus 27 should have a busstop very close to the hotel.

Just go to journeyplanner. Dk and type in the adress and Oceankaj as destination and then search on your travel date.