Wine/drinks package

Daisysgrandma

Going on Majestic Princess 16 June 2017 to Asia. Both Cruise Critic and Princess say you only need to purchase one package not for both people in cabin. For 3 weeks it is a hefty bill - even for one. Can two people share the drinks? Is there a daily limit? We drink different things generally. Hope someone can help.

Going on Majestic Princess 16 June 2017 to Asia. Both Cruise Critic and Princess say you only need to purchase one package not for both people in cabin. For 3 weeks it is a hefty bill - even for one. Can two people share the drinks? Is there a daily limit? We drink different things generally. Hope someone can help.

no, you can't share it....but there is not daily limit

The package is PP and not sharable.

You cannot share with one exception. You get 40% off of wines that sell for below $100 a bottle. When you order these wines they may be shared with others.

Are there any wine package discounts without the Beverage Package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any wine package discounts without the Beverage Package?

If your cruise is 10 days or longer there should be Silver and Gold wine packages available. You can save up to $8/bottle with the Silver package and up to $17/bottle with the Gold package depending upon the price of the bottle of wine. With the discount it is cheaper to buy wine on board that bringing it with you and paying the $15 corkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your cruise is 10 days or longer there should be Silver and Gold wine packages available. You can save up to $8/bottle with the Silver package and up to $17/bottle with the Gold package depending upon the price of the bottle of wine. With the discount it is cheaper to buy wine on board that bringing it with you and paying the $15 corkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank You!

I know it can be terribly tempting to share the beverage package when only one person purchases it but please, don't do it! If they catch you (and it is reported that they have caught any number of people, you will not only lose the package you payed for but also be charged for every drink you have already had. To my mind that would really be a huge bummer.

If you do decide to get the AIBP then you can always buy discounted wine (as stated above it's 40% off of any bottle priced under $100) and you are free to share that bottle with anybody you like.

Edited by Thrak

There is no daily limit. Limit is just the retail value of each drink being not more than US$10.

Thought you couldn't. It was the way they said you didn't need to buy for both people in the cabin. Never mind. We will just buy what we want and enjoy it - as we usually do. Have bought the wine package but this not advertised. Available in the dining room and different to the ones that can be pre-purchased. Thanks everybody

Liquor packages are oft discussed. We have looked hard at the "Princess All-Inclusive Beverage Package". As noted, only one need to buy the package, but no sharing, except for a bottle of wine. Trouble we have is that even at $57.45 for one of us it doesn't pencil. If they required us both to buy the package at a total of $114.90 per day it would be ridiculous.

The deal breakers for us are that the 40% discount on a bottle of wine is relegated to bars and the dining rooms, you do not receive this discount when ordering a bottle of wine from room service for consumption in your cabin or balcony. All your drinking using the package must be in public venues. I guess you can take the bottle of wine from the dining room to your cabin, we do that all the time but I'm not certain how that would play out if we paid for the wine using the package. You are relegated to purchase drinks with a maximum menu price of $10.00 or less (On HAL it is $7.00 or less). I'm told that if you order a drink that cost more you can not pay the difference, you must pay the full cost and not use your package. That really would put a crimp in my ordering an exceptional glass of wine to enhance our dining experience or when I visit the Princess Vines Bar.

We are both elites and both drink a little. We do like to drink before dinner and during sail away time in our cabin and on our balcony. I'm a vino nut and wife likes cocktails and shares my wine in the dining rooms sometimes. We get a free mini-bar setup to start with as elites. On a two week cruise, if we averaged a bottle of wine a day total in the dining rooms including that brought to our cabin by room service, it would amount to about $500 (A bottle a day is high as we don't drink that much wine). Plus, if we bought two bottles of the ship's whiskey or whatever on the voyage that would be another $100.00 (Approx.). As elites we get half off of all special cocktails served throughout the cruise in the elite lounge each evening before dinner, so if we went every night, add another $150.00. That would be about a $800.00 max total booze bill. What little soda and beer we might drink we get free in the mini-bar setup and we don't do the fancy coffee bit.

A liquor package for just one of us would be about the same, $800.00. A lot of which is of no use to us, as we would have to pay full price for wine and other liquor for consumption in the cabin plus if we had cocktails only one would get the free one, the other would pay full price. Roughly figuring we would be about $200.00 to $300.00 ahead to not purchase the package for even one of us.

Thought you couldn't. It was the way they said you didn't need to buy for both people in the cabin. Never mind. We will just buy what we want and enjoy it - as we usually do. Have bought the wine package but this not advertised. Available in the dining room and different to the ones that can be pre-purchased. Thanks everybody

They state it that way because many cruise lines require that if one person in the cabin purchases a drink package then all adults in that cabin must purchase the package as well. When Princess first introduced their AIBP they also required all adults in the cabin to purchase the package but, after a short trial period, they removed that restriction.

Liquor packages are oft discussed. We have looked hard at the "Princess All-Inclusive Beverage Package". As noted, only one need to buy the package, but no sharing, except for a bottle of wine. Trouble we have is that even at $57.45 for one of us it doesn't pencil. If they required us both to buy the package at a total of $114.90 per day it would be ridiculous.

The deal breakers for us are that the 40% discount on a bottle of wine is relegated to bars and the dining rooms, you do not receive this discount when ordering a bottle of wine from room service for consumption in your cabin or balcony. All your drinking using the package must be in public venues. I guess you can take the bottle of wine from the dining room to your cabin, we do that all the time but I'm not certain how that would play out if we paid for the wine using the package. You are relegated to purchase drinks with a maximum menu price of $10.00 or less (On HAL it is $7.00 or less). I'm told that if you order a drink that cost more you can not pay the difference, you must pay the full cost and not use your package. That really would put a crimp in my ordering an exceptional glass of wine to enhance our dining experience or when I visit the Princess Vines Bar.

We are both elites and both drink a little. We do like to drink before dinner and during sail away time in our cabin and on our balcony. I'm a vino nut and wife likes cocktails and shares my wine in the dining rooms sometimes. We get a free mini-bar setup to start with as elites. On a two week cruise, if we averaged a bottle of wine a day total in the dining rooms including that brought to our cabin by room service, it would amount to about $500 (A bottle a day is high as we don't drink that much wine). Plus, if we bought two bottles of the ship's whiskey or whatever on the voyage that would be another $100.00 (Approx.). As elites we get half off of all special cocktails served throughout the cruise in the elite lounge each evening before dinner, so if we went every night, add another $150.00. That would be about a $800.00 max total booze bill. What little soda and beer we might drink we get free in the mini-bar setup and we don't do the fancy coffee bit.

A liquor package for just one of us would be about the same, $800.00. A lot of which is of no use to us, as we would have to pay full price for wine and other liquor for consumption in the cabin plus if we had cocktails only one would get the free one, the other would pay full price. Roughly figuring we would be about $200.00 to $300.00 ahead to not purchase the package for even one of us.

At last check there were only 5 wines and two hard alcohols that weren't covered by the package. Using the AIBP calculator spreadsheet the only items shown there (this may have changed - especially on ships with the new whiskey bar!) that aren't covered by the package are:

• Chivas Royal Salute - $12.50
  • Remy Martin XO - $12.00
  • Mirabelle, Brut Rose - $11.00
  • Nicholas Feuillatte, Brut - $13.00
  • Veuve Clicquot, Brut - $17.00
  • Nebbiolo Valmaggiore, Bruno Giacosa - $12.00
  • Cabernet Sauvignon, Sanctuary - $13.00

As for the second item I have highlighted above - I don't believe there is any way to purchase bottles of alcohol for consumption in your cabin. You can purchase from the duty free shop but they won't let you have the bottles until the night before embarkation.

Like you, we won't purchase the AIBP as it doesn't pencil out for us. We are, however, happy to take it as a free perk and booked two cruises under the recent Sip and Sail promo.

As for the second item I have highlighted above - I don't believe there is any way to purchase bottles of alcohol for consumption in your cabin. You can purchase from the duty free shop but they won't let you have the bottles until the night before embarkation.

Sure there is, we do it all the time, have for years and we just hit 270 days sailing on Princess. If they changed they did so in the last three weeks. Better not.

We pre-order on the Gift Services Order Form from the selections found in the Princess Cruising Gifts and Services menus. You get no break, price wise, to pre-order but it is waiting in the cabin for you upon embarkation. You can do the same, using the same menu, at any time by calling room service. I can't get their menu to copy or I would here for you, but they have a pretty selection of maybe 20 different wines (I find that after we are on board room service has more wines to offer) and champagnes, bottles are all 750 ML. For liquor they have Cognac, Bourbon, Rum, Gin, Scotch, and Vodka selections. The bourbons are Jack Daniel's $27.60, Jim Beam $17.25 and Crown Royal $23.60. Unfortunately, the liquor bottles are only 375 ML, not cheap. Prices include the 15% room service charge.

We rarely cruise for less than three or four weeks. I normally pre-order 4 bottles of wine, a bottle of Jack, a bottle of Courvoiser, and a bottle of Absolut vodka. One case of water. We get one free mini-bar setup per segment, so we exchange the liquors they provide for what we like at no extra cost, we keep the beer and soda water and sodas. I also bring on board our two free bottles of wine from home. If it is a four week cruise I usually double the order for liquor throughout the voyage and buy approx 22 more bottles of wine from room service (minus those that I bring to the cabin from the dining room if I don't have them hold it over in the dining room, also, if the cruise is in segments, we get at least two more free bottles to bring on board from shore retailers).

One change here that we have noted on our last two cruises. They apparently now have a policy where they don't like to bring more than two bottles of liquor and wine to the cabin at one time, each day. But you can still order, and pay for, as much as you like. So, when we arrived in the cabin no pre-order liquor order was there, the water was and the mini-bar setup but no wine or liquor, so I had to call. The staff appears to not like this policy very well. Really makes no difference to me if they want to bring it in installments. The first time it occurred they went ahead and brought it all at once. Last cruise they brought two or three bottles a day. https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/gift_services_order_form.pdf

Edited by kennicott

We're doing a b2b this April with the first leg at 14 days and the second at 11 days. Do you know if I purchase the wine package for the first leg, will any unused punches carry over for the second leg?

Yes, you can purchase a limited selection of 375ml bottles of hard liquor. I thought you were speaking of purchasing full sized bottles of good whiskey. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I understand, but when you said: "I don't believe there is any way to purchase bottles of alcohol for consumption in your cabin." Well, I would call a 375 ML bottle a bottle of alcohol. Anyway, they don't limit you on the amount of hard liquor so if you desire a "full sized" 750 ML bottle of whiskey then by all means order two 375s.

A little flash back here. Years ago, on Princess, they would let you order liquor from room service, 750 ML bottles. Then they changed and let you buy from Duty Free but you could take it with you right then and there and open it in your cabin. Then they changed again and allowed you to buy from any bar a bottle of liquor to take with you, unopened, what ever they had. Then they changed again and designated only one bar on the ship from which you could do that. Today they have evolved back to what they originally started out with, procedure wise, except the bottles shrunk in the interim. LOL

Anyway, Jack Daniels is a good whiskey for me. Of course I rarely drink anything but wine anymore, but when I do whisky, it is Jack, I hate some of those other even higher priced ones you might label "Good Whiskey". As I previously mentioned though with wine, they often have a lot more to select from when you call room service, I believe the same might hold true for hard liquor, but what they have satisfies us, Jack, Courvoiser and Absolut.

(this may have changed - especially on ships with the new whiskey bar

Here is that new menu for anyone wanting to know their options. It won't compete with a reputable whiskey bar landside-- or I suspect, Mr. Thrak's home shelf--but some good solid everyday pours, and a couple aspirational ones.

https://www.princess.com/images/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/speciality-dining/the-salty-dog/whiskey-menu.pdf

Does any one have a recent 2016 cocktail list AND PRICES for each ? Not sure to buy the deal or pay as you go. Seems not many drink cocktails on recent cruises. Are all cocktails under the limit of $15.00 Aus. But I do, so would just like to know in advance. 1st cruise ever and I am a solo cruiser in Feb . Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is that new menu for anyone wanting to know their options. It won't compete with a reputable whiskey bar landside-- or I suspect, Mr. Thrak's home shelf--but some good solid everyday pours, and a couple aspirational ones.

https://www.princess.com/images/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/speciality-dining/the-salty-dog/whiskey-menu.pdf

Thanks. Quite a number of over $10 drinks.

Does any one have a recent 2016 cocktail list AND PRICES for each ? Not sure to buy the deal or pay as you go. Seems not many drink cocktails on recent cruises. Are all cocktails under the limit of $15.00 Aus. But I do, so would just like to know in advance. 1st cruise ever and I am a solo cruiser in Feb . Thanks in advance

Can't speak directly to cruises in AUD but we were on the Pacific in November and drink prices were unchanged from menus 12-18 months ago with the the highest price cocktail on the bar menu was 8.95 USD with a package limit of 10.00 USD. The only change I saw was the increase for mocktails from 5.00 USD to 5.50 USD. I assume AUD prices will be similar with cocktails less than the 14.00 AUD maximum. Hopefully someone with specific menu pricing will post.