Consent Form for Minor

skohrs

We are traveling with our daughter's best friend (14-years-old) on FOS this March. We know that we need to have a notarized consent form for traveling with a minor, and I know what needs to be included in that form. The question I have is whether both of her parents need to sign the form or just one of them. Two different people at RCCL have assured me that only 1 parent needs to sign the form. I hope this is the case because her parents are divorced and getting them both to sign a form in front of notary will not be easy to coordinate as they do not get along (TMI?). The only reason I hesitate to believe what RCCL has told me is because I have seen others on this board post in the past about possibly needing both parents signatures, especially since my daughter's friend has a different last name than her mother (who will be signing the form). I assume it is the customs people who will be looking at the form, not RCCL personnel, or I wouldn't be second guessing what RCCL told me. Has anyone else ever had this situation arise?

If I do need both parents to sign the consent, do you think it would be fine to have each parent sign a separate form and bring both forms with me? That would be much easier to coordinate. Thanks for any insight.

This is from RCI's website and states that the original notarized letter must be signed by at least one of the child's parents. Scroll down to Family Legal Documents on this link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2815. I am in agreement with others to have both sign, just in case.

People at RCI's call center know nothing and if you call 3 times you'll get 3 wrong answers. Stick to a higher standard and you'll be fine.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for (and why I was suspect of the answers given by RCCL). Customs is the agency who would be looking for this documentation. I glad you pointed me to this document directly from the source. Thanks!!!!

I just posted this in another thread and thought it might be helpful here too.

RCCL has a consent form online. It's for Australia but you can just white out where it says Australia and customize it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/content/en_OC_reg/pdf/minors_consent_form.pdf

Or you can fill it out online and download or print it from

https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller/?projectId=96669553#61cc86d1f82441308c3524bf21c2bfaa. It has text tools and an erase tool so you can erase Australia.

When I used it, I replaced Australia with name and date of return to port and also added our ports of call, for example: "Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA, is November 24, 2016, following scheduled ports in Cozumel and Costa Mayo, Mexico and/or any unscheduled port stops."

We have a 16 year old grandson we've raised from birth. We don't need anything for him. BUT we have another 16 year old grandson through a daughter's marriage 3 years ago. We've used this form each time when we took him on our last two cruises, getting it signed and notarized about a month before each cruise. His first cruise they asked for it and made a copy. Last year they didn't even ask but I had a new one with me if needed.

~ Judy

You can also have both parents sign the same form at different times. Just make it out so that each parent signature line also has its own notary signature line.

Notary #1 signs that they are attesting to the signature of Parent #1.

Then the next paragraph is a line for Parent #2 to sign and Notary #2 signs that they are attesting to the signature of Parent #2.

I recommend getting both parents to sign, unless one parent has sole legal custody. Then you need a copy of the paperwork stating that the signing parent has sole legal custody.

i'm assuming the person traveling with the child has them for 'their days'' and they arent taking away days the other parent should have the child

this is what prevents me from taking my gfs kid on any cruises. the ex will never give up his precious days to make his kid happy on a cruise we want to take her on..sad

• 1 year later...

We travel all the time with our granddaughters!!! Three of them and from separate families. Both of our daughters are divorce. Both have sole custody of there children. We have only been asked ONE time for the consent form believe it or not all all the cruises and we only have our daughters signatures which is all that is required since that have sole custody. It all depends on there divorce. It's when you board the cruise ship they ask for the papers not when you depart!!!