What type of shoes to bring?

Sandybeach64

After talking with my TA I'm confused as to what type of shoes to bring. We are going to Alaska the end of May and I was planning on getting rainboots. My TA said that I don't need them.

We will be doing the following:

Juneau: Whale Watching/Mendhall Glacier

Skagway: Roadtrip to Caribou Crossing/Yukon

Glacier Bay: Viewing from ship (will the ship decks get slippery?)

Ketchikan: Either walking around town or ziplining

What are your thoughts? Should I pack a couple pair of tennis shoes, hiking boots, waterproof my hiking books or get rainboots? I really am the most comfortable in tennis shoes but I don't want to get my feet wet and cold.

Thanks for the help!

When I go to Alaska I take only one pair of shoes for excursions and wearing around the ship --- waterproofed Merrells or waterproofed tennis shoes. I mentioned two choices because it all depends on my mood as to which pair of shoes I will pack (sounds silly to some but that's just me).

I also make sure to pack warm socks as my feet tend to get cold while standing on deck during glacier viewings or during water excursions. I find that Smart Wool socks work very well for my cold feet. I have also been known to carry around a pair of sock liners just in case I hit some very cold weather.

You don't need to buy anything fancy for your feet in Alaska --- just make sure you are comfortable and the shoes are waterproofed (something you can do yourself.)

You will get various answers, but I can tell you what we did. Other than Ketchikan (where we did a seaplane to Misty Fjords) our port days were pretty much identical to what you have planned.

I would agree with your TA...do not take rain boots. I had a pair of waterproof Merrill hiking shoes that I wore on our day in Juneau where it rained all day. Between the whale watching tour and hiking at Mendenhall Glacier we were outdoors all day and my feet stayed dry. (I also had a waterproof jacket and rain pants.) The shoes also came in handy when we had another rainy day in Seward. If you don't have waterproof shoes, then I would suggest a waterproofing spray for your hiking shoes/tennis shoes.

Most of the time I did wear tennis shoes and they were fine. I had a pair of dress shoes for dinner and I also took along a pair of Crocs. I am a Croc lover (I have at least half a dozen pair) and with a pair of thick hiking socks, that is what I wore for many hours sitting out on our balcony.

When I go to Alaska I take only one pair of shoes for excursions and wearing around the ship --- waterproofed Merrells or waterproofed tennis shoes. I mentioned two choices because it all depends on my mood as to which pair of shoes I will pack (sounds silly to some but that's just me).

I also make sure to pack warm socks as my feet tend to get cold while standing on deck during glacier viewings or during water excursions. I find that Smart Wool socks work very well for my cold feet. I have also been known to carry around a pair of sock liners just in case I hit some very cold weather.

You don't need to buy anything fancy for your feet in Alaska --- just make sure you are comfortable and the shoes are waterproofed (something you can do yourself.)

I second the Merrell waterproof hiking shoes. If you go on any excursions that expose you to walking in snow, the tour operator will provide boots/overshoes.

I have only brought athletic shoes. I don't bother water proofing.

I do own some Keens (waterproof low boots) but I only wear those when shoveling snow. I have never brought them to Alaska. Never felt the need and I probably won't in the future.

The biggest issue is COMFY - since you say you have hiking boots there's certainly no harm in bringing those for extra ankle support for any offroad walking. Next, grippy soles - as already mentioned you will want to be out on deck, could be wet from washing even if the rain is not an issue.

Waterproof is nice - but since you have a ship to return to, unless you step into deep puddles even if it's raining it's highly unlikely your regular shoes will get more than a bit damp and dry out just fine overnight in the cabin. For your listed excursions it doesn't sound like it's a necessity at all - and remember May is actually less rainy than summer in most of the ports.

If you want to play it safe, wear your boots traveling (to avoid weight/space in suitcase issues) and take a pair of tennis shoes too. Or both pairs of those and waterproof one of them - just heating them with a hairdryer and rubbing a candle on them works remarkably well, much easier to ensure you work it into the seams than using a spray.

We have been to Alaska 10 times...waterproof are a good idea, but not totally necessary. You may (and probably will) get some rain, but then again...maybe not. I agree the most important thing is they are comfortable. You will be doing a LOT of walking! Bring shoes with a good grip....like tennis shoes...for the deck (might be slippery if foggy or raining). And please....don't bring heavy winter boots like Uggs...totally NOT necessary! I have posted a packing list on my travel blog....http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com

great thread, I have been thinking about this...... Ok for myself I was planning on my keens heavy duty/mostly wp sneakers for our hiking/walking,paired with my smartwool socks - my Jambu maryjane style walking shoes (again with the smartwool socks) which can go hiking, or dress up with a skirt for fancy dinner night,and thinking maybe crocs to use as slippers in the cabin/pool shoes(?) or flip flops for that? My guys are concerned about wet feet, some of you are saying a pair of sneakers is fine,just let one pair dry while wearing second pair of shoes and don't worry?