Skagway Suspension Bridge

claudia814

You don't have to cross the bridge. But the bus doesn't go to the other side of the canyon. The other side of the bridge doesn't have a road as it is additional platforms and walkways to viewpoints. If you don't want to venture across the bridge there are some picnic tables and benches you can sit at, some viewpoints, as well as a gift shop and eating place, all on the parking lot side.

As a person with a huge fear of heights I made it both ways across the bridge. There is not alot on the other side so you would not be missing very much. The day we went it was a wet cold day so the hot drinks inside were a welcomed part.

If you do go be sure to take your passport as you go into Canada and they do stop the bus and check. Take a snack with you as ot is a longish bus ride.

In case you're wondering, the Suspension Bridge does NOT swing; it doesn't seem to move at all. It is very tightly constructed; there are no gaps/space in the floor & has mess sides.

That said, my DD, SIL & I crossed it last May in the late afternoon; we were the only visitors there. I can't speak to how it is with lots of people.

It is a very scenic site, but you can just stay on the "road" side & enjoy the view, the shop, restaurants, displays & never go to the bridge.

I just added some photos of the excursion here. Even though I was really scared of heights before I went I'd definitely do it again.
Awesome pics...and good for you! We’ll be there the first of May. We really appreciate the preview of it.