Zuiderdam or Volendam?: Same Alaska Itineary

LadyLuck

Hello:

We have just booked an Inside guarantee (MM) on the Zuiderdam to Alaska for this coming May. However, last night we were doing some research online and found out that the Zuiderdam stateroom has not been updated with flat screen TV's or DVD Players while the Volendam seems to have been updated with these.

We are just wondering if this is true and as part of the Signature of Excellence update, does the Zuiderdam gets its fair share? We picked the Zuiderdam initially because we thought that it's a newer and larger ship. We haven't cruise with Holland America before. Our previous cruise was with Celebrity on the Constellation and our first cruise was with Carnival Holiday (I think this ship is no longer around). So, can someone please let us know which ship is better to first try out HAL? Zuiderdam or Volendam? We have to pay $150 more per person ($300 total for the two of us) for the Zuiderdam.

What about the other parts of the ship? Is it worth the extra money for the Zuiderdam?

Thank you for any advice.

I have never cruised before, but before booking I did ALOT of research. Since booking my Canadian cruise I've looked at what other things HAL has to offer. Based solely on the interior design and decor, if all things were equal I'd sail on just about any other HAL ship before the Zuiderdam. I didn't think it looked that bad, but (as my DW pointed out) the carpets in some of the public areas are downright hideous.

Go to www.cruseclues.com to judge for yourself. There you can see details (including photos) of almost every cruise ship afloat today.

The Volendam is my favorite ship, and yes, it does have the SOE improvements in place. The ship has a wonderful ambiance, and the crew and staff IMO are incredible. We enjoyed the cruise to Alaska so much last year that we are going again in May. Have a wonderful time no matter which ship you choose.

I have never cruised before, but before booking I did ALOT of research. Since booking my Canadian cruise I've looked at what other things HAL has to offer. Based solely on the interior design and decor, if all things were equal I'd sail on just about any other HAL ship before the Zuiderdam. I didn't think it looked that bad, but (as my DW pointed out) the carpets in some of the public areas are downright hideous.

Go to www.cruseclues.com to judge for yourself. There you can see details (including photos) of almost every cruise ship afloat today.

On the contrary, I *liked* what I saw in the pictures. It's all subjective really...and I personally would not book or avoid a particular ship because of the 'color carpets.'

That said, before choosing try and decide what you might want...the smaller more intimate feel of a ship the size of Volendam, or the larger somewhat more family-oriented feel of the Vista Class Zuiderdam.

In this case...size matters when making a decision.

Really though, you cannot make a mistake!

Fair 'nuf krewzin. There's also been enough questionable reviews of the Zuiderdam that if I had to make a choice between it or another HAL ship I'd probably go with the other HAL ship. Sure there's plenty of people that like it, but its been enough of a mixed bag I'd probably give it a pass. Surely you agree that even in Holland America not all ships are created equal. Some are better than others.

Its just that if it were my money...I'd go with Volendam. Thats all.

Let me preface this by saying I've never sailed on a Vista-class ship, and do not care to. Nor have I yet sailed on the Volendam, but will (to Alaska) this summer.

Now, it's been said that the Zuiderdam is the least HAL-like of all the HAL ships. It's decor is a-typical. It is marketed more to families, which can make for a different demographic. The crowd tends to be a bit younger.

Personally, especially in Alaska, I like a smaller ship. The smaller ships can get closer to the beautiful scenery. On a smaller ship you also have a better opportunity to meet up with the same passengers more than once.

I also don't care about the TV, again especially in Alaska. The scenery is so doggonned beautiful that it's easy to be out doors from morning 'til night. On my first cruise there I was putting in full 8-hour "work" days in the same deck chair!

For some people the Zuiderdam is a better choice. For others the more traditional, intimate feel is better.

As others have said, Volendam will give you a better introduction to HAL. Smaller, more intimate ship, not as heavily marketed to families so will likely have fewer kids aboard and we like the fact that Volendam has laundromats aboard whereas Zuiderdam does not.

Just got off the Volendam less than 2 weeks ago and the standard of excellence upgrades were very nice, food was excellent as was service. That was our 2nd trip on Volendam. For MY money, I'd make the change.

Fair 'nuf krewzin. There's also been enough questionable reviews of the Zuiderdam that if I had to make a choice between it or another HAL ship I'd probably go with the other HAL ship. Sure there's plenty of people that like it, but its been enough of a mixed bag I'd probably give it a pass. Surely you agree that even in Holland America not all ships are created equal. Some are better than others.

Its just that if it were my money...I'd go with Volendam. Thats all.

I hear what yer sayin' NTJim...and would agree that past reviews of the Zuidy have been somewhat lackluster, but they're beginning to improve (me thinks the cruiseline is listening).

That, together w/her recent dry docking and her inaugeral season in Alaska may very well make for a different ship...w/better reviews ensuing.

Least I hope so.

The Volendam/Zuderdam itinerary out of Vancouver is IMO, far superior to other rd trippers.

Chuck-bucket colored carpet aside;) , I think she's gonna do just fine. In fact, I'm betting on it (a couple cabins worth) and I aim to find out over the summer. So if I'm gonna suffer...my family is gonna suffer w/me!:D

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it...but it's still HAL, afterall.

I have not been on the Zuiderdam, but have been on its sister, the Oosterdam, and also have sailed on the Volendam, so I will offer an opinion for what it's worth.

The Volendam is a mid-size ship that is elegant, beautiful, timeless, with superb decor and service. It is considered a prime example of the best HAL has to offer.

The Vista ships (at the moment the Zuidy, Oosterdam and Westerdam) are larger, have more pax, and have little of the outstanding design and magnificent decor we find on the more typical smaller HAL ships.

In our opinion there is so much less 'uniquely Holland American' on a Vista ship than on a ship like the Volendam we wouldn't waste a second making a decision- the Volendam every time. In this case, bigger is definetely not better. :D

I hope you are all wrong, or just extremely picky, no insult intended, about the Zuiderdam, because my family and 2 others are sailing on her in June out of Vancouver. THis is our first HAL cruise. I have sailed on Princess and Disney and been very happy so I don't know if my expectations are high or low but ya'll are scaring the you-know-what out of me. Personally, it seems just about any cruise should be great unless something absolutely horrible happens like that honeymoon couple. Maybe I should just stop reading these threads.

My mother and I are booked on the Zuiderdam to Alaska July 8, 2006. I have been reading alot about this ship and now I just don't know. Maybe I should change to the Volendam. I saw the Oosterdam in Vancouver last year at the end of the Alaska season and she was magnificent. I also like the fact that the Zuidy sailes on Saturday which is better for me rather than during the week. I hope I have made a good decision.

We sailed on the Zuiderdam the second week of January. This ship was on it's second cruise since drydock. I have posted a couple of "reviews" in other threads. But to be to the point, the Zuiderdam is the last ship I would ever select on any line. We have sailed Disney, RCI and Carnival in addition to the Zuiderdam with HAL. It was by far the poorest experience that I have had to date. The SOE has not been completed on the Zuiderdam, the ship only received the beds. By the Hotel Director's own admission they did not receive the other upgrades. On our cruise, even areas of the deck railing was missing, a true safety hazard! Upkeep on this ship is VERY POOR. There has been a few things written about this, including comments that the line ran out of budgeted funds to do the upgrade on this ship. Whatever the reason, if you have an opportunity to select another ship, do so. It will be well worth your $300 to enjoy your cruise. Just because the ship is being routed over the Alaska does not mean that things will improve.

Decor is a matter of taste; service and ship condition is a matter of record!

Enjoy your travels, Alaska is my dream cruise!

Just because the ship is being routed over the Alaska does not mean that things will improve.

Decor is a matter of taste; service and ship condition is a matter of record!

Enjoy your travels, Alaska is my dream cruise!

No it does not. But just because you had a bad experience on the ship and weren't happy about a few things, ie. band only played for 10 minutes on sailaway, not enough entertainment ...does not mean it is a bad ship and everyone should avoid it at all costs.

Perhaps HAL and or Zuiderdam was just not for you.

And the majority of folks who have booked (myself included) are not sailing Alaska until summer...and I'm pretty certain the missing deck railing will be fixed by then, as well as anything else that might be in need of repair.

I'm sorry, but I just find it very hard to believe that every other ship in the HAL fleet...including the Zuidy's 2 Vista Class sister ships Oosterdam and Westerdam ...are kept up magnificently, all spit 'n polished w/excellent service -while the Zuiderdam continually cruises in a state of neglect and unkempt disrepair along with inattentive service personnel and an extreme lack of entertainment.

This just does not make any sense at all.

I have not sailed on the Zuiderdam or any Vista ship but have sailed on Hal's other ships.

I have sailed on the Volendam 4 times and think it is a wonderful ship. I will probably be sailing on this ship sometime this year. I would recommend it to anyone.

The Zuiderdam was the first of the Vistas. Many people disliked the ship. It did have many problems the first year which didn't help matters. The decor is different and many think it is hidious, myself included, but I have only seen pictures. There are people who post on this board that love the ship, and others do not think much of it.

I have not seen the negative types of comments about the Volendam like I do with the Zuiderdam.

Ruth brought up a good point about smaller ships in Alaska. Something to thing about.

One more thing, verandahs. The Zuiderdam does have many more cabins with them. Many people recommend a verandah for an Alaskan cruise.

"We have just booked an Inside guarantee (MM) on the Zuiderdam to Alaska for this coming May."

If you're getting an inside cabin, one thing to consider is the lovely promenade deck on the Volendam. If becomes your "balcony" and would be a wonder place to sit and watch the scenery slip by.

On the Zuiderdam you have to go all the way up to the lido deck to get outside.

I love the S class ships like the Volendam and am not a great fan of the Vista class - but that's just my personal opinion.

Dick

All the HAL ships have promenade decks, and they all provide a complete lap around the ship. Some have more enclosed areas than others but the promenade deck is a HAL feature.

Ships of the same line are just as subjectively judged as ships among all lines.

People will find things they like and things they don't care for on all ships and lines. No one can make that decision for you You choose what appeals to you.

We have been on several HAL ships including the flagships. There are features we prefer in comparing one to the other, but one thing stands out, Service, which is excellent.

We have sailed other lines but after sailing HAL exclusively for the last 5 years we know we've found our niche. We would not hesitate to sail on any HAL ship that was going where we wanted to go.

The only thing that made me hesitate to book a Vista class before I booked Westerdam, was the size due to my knee problem and limited walking. That was my ONLY hesitation.

But, I agree it's better to do your homework and ask questions, but don't take all the opinions as Gospel, they are in fact opinions, no matter how well intentioned. Go with your intuition. Find that place of peace and make a decision on that basis. If you find later that you've made a mistake then make a different choice next time. I really don't think there is a cruise experience that is so bad that it should ruin your vacation.

But that's my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Grannynurse

I hope you are all wrong, or just extremely picky, no insult intended, about the Zuiderdam, because my family and 2 others are sailing on her in June out of Vancouver. THis is our first HAL cruise. I have sailed on Princess and Disney and been very happy so I don't know if my expectations are high or low but ya'll are scaring the you-know-what out of me. Personally, it seems just about any cruise should be great unless something absolutely horrible happens like that honeymoon couple. Maybe I should just stop reading these threads.

There is a frequent contibuter to these HAL boards named Candy; she calls herself "Candy the Zuiderprincess", because Zuiderdam is her favorite ship. Candy can answer just about any question you may have regarding that particular ship. Her signature has all kinds of links to information and photos of Zuiderdam. Perhaps you could put out an SOS for Candy's response, or you could do a search for her posts. I'm not very computer-savvy, or I'd post a link for you here. Maybe someone more competent on this board would be able to do that for you.

I'm taking my family on Zaandam this summer because I think it's a good fit for our needs and schedule, but I would not have any aversion to trying out one of the "Vista" class ships such as Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, or the brand-new Noordam. Plus, I think that in Alaska at least, itinerary is the main factor governing one's choice of ship and cruiseline. Personally, as a first-time visitor to Alaska, I'm heading out with an open mind. Anything I learn on this cruise, I'll apply to my next cruise to Alaska :) Good luck to you, and have a wonderful cruise!

The OP was asking about the Zuiderdam vs. the Volendam and for one thing whether the Zuiderdam was worth a higher fare. The cost being more than for the Volendam was a complete shock to me. The Zuiderdam had always been discounted to a lower cost per person than the other ships, as far as I knew.

However, since the question was a comparison I answered that I much preferred the Volendam and other R and S class ships (mid-size) to the Vista class for any number of reasons. I think most posters saying 'Volendam' were saying what I said, not that OP could or would not have a good time on the Zuiderdam. The Volendam is typical of what HAL has become famous for, more so than the Vista ships. So for cruisers new to HAL who have heard of cruiseline's reputation, they would find more of that atmosphere on the Volendam.

I do think this question cannot be answered by anyone who has not sailed both a Vista ship and a mid-sized ship like the Volendam. How could they compare?

Krewzin, I find that your comments are somewhat hostile and I am taken back by that. The individual who began the post asked for opinions on the ships. I put forth my opinion of my personal experience on my cruise. You did not experience what I did and therefore are not in a position to comment on my experience. At no point have I ever stated in my posts that someone elses opinion was to be discounted, which is how your post comes across. If someone has an enjoyable experience then I hope they put it out there. At the same time, people who read this board are entitled to hear of bad experiences also and no one should slam another's members opinion. I am not the only person who has a low opinion of this ship.

I never stated or inferred that the entire line is bad, nor did I say it "sailed in a continual state of disrepair." The individual asking the question inquired as to which ship to book. People have offered opinions on the Volendam, which I hear is quite good and I put forth mine on the Zuiderdam. No one expects "magnificence" nor do I expect the safety of passengers to be put at risk for 7 straight days.

I truly hope that you and all others who have booked on the Zuiderdam have a wonderful cruise experience. Each of us pays hard earned money to have a memorable and enjoyable experience. No one goes on a cruise with the intention of it being disappointing, but just like the passengers who recently sailed on the QM II experienced circumstances do arise that unfortunately impede the sailing.:)

Having cruised both ships (the Volendam twice), I would choose the Volendam without hesitation. A lot of the Volendam's superiority comes down to ship design. It has a flow and elegance that the Zuiderdam lacks. The Zuiderdam seems very chopped up, with the public spaces very hidden and therefore rather dead and no central gathering place. The Volendam has a nice atrium, public rooms that people flow in and out of, beautiful and elegant decoration, and the wonderful Java Cafe. Yes, I know, the Java Cafe as a reason for picking a ship? But there one can get great, FREE lattes, cappucinos, expresso, etc. with cookies always available and hang out to people watch. It sure beats the watered down coffe in the Lido and Dining Room. On the Zuiderdam, if one wants real coffee, one pays. A small thing, but something else that sets the Volendam apart.

And, since we tend to cruise price, pay MORE for the Zuiderdam? No way.

But, whatever you choose, have a wonderful cruise!

Calm seas,

Deb

Krewzin, I find that your comments are somewhat hostile and I am taken back by that.

"Hostile?":rolleyes: Sorry you interpreted it that way.

I never stated or inferred that the entire line is bad, nor did I say it "sailed in a continual state of disrepair."

Re: the "entire line being bad..." I never said you did, inferred or otherwise. You've obviously misinterpreted my post as I said that every other HAL ship is "kept up magnificently."

My comment about sailing in a state of disrepair was in direct reference to your mentioning "areas of the deck rail missing. A true safety hazard! Upkeep on this ship was VERY POOR."

That to me, gives the image that the ship itself is in extremely bad shape (disrepair). In fact, if an area of deck railing is missing and someone could actually 'fall off,' this sounds extremely dangerous...somebody could get seriously injured.

You did not experience what I did and therefore are not in a position to comment on my experience.

You're entitled to your opinion...just as I am entitled to mine. Because I did not share your experience does not preclude me from commenting on it...that's what these boards are for.

I'm sorry your cruise on HAL was not enjoyable and up to your standards. As you mentioned, we work hard for our money and a sub par vacation doesn't feel like much of a reward.

Let's throw something else into the equation.

What if you were travelling with kids, boys ages 11 and 16, and the choice was say Zuiderdam/Westerdam/Oosterdam (grouped as one), versus Volendam.

When travelling as just a couple, it seems the preference is the smaller, statelier ship. But how about with kids, because we are about to book and I could use opinions with a family view.

Thanks.

Archived