Good hotel in Galveston

wework2play

Thanks for that suggestion. I looked at it online and it does look nice, but more than I want to spend for a place to sleep. (It said 175 per night. 65-99 is what I'd like to find.) I should have clarified. We need to stay one night before the cruise. We are going to do things around Galveston and will only be in the room to sleep. I'm looking for good location and easy to find from the ship. Any more suggestions?

Have you tried Expedia or a similar site? I am looking at hotels in San Juan for one night post-cruise and have found the rates to be less than what the hotels have posted on their websites. The information I found on Expedia seemed to be fairly comprehensive and utilizes some sort of rating system.

Definitely Harbor House. It'll cost you a bit over $100 (which exceeds your stated limit), but it's worth every dime. One block from The Strand, which is a delightful place to spend an afternoon or evening.

They include a nice continental breakfast in the second floor lounge and we met a number of our future cruise passengers there the morning of the cruise. The building itself was originally a warehouse on the pier. It's been beautifully converted into a small hotel. And if you are an early riser (just before 6:00 a.m.), you'll get to stand on the pier at the end of the hotel in the morning and watch your ship glide past you on the way to is berth ... what an incredible thrill.

We wandered down to Phoenix Bakery the first morning for a marvelous full breakfast and did dinner at Joe's Crab Shack in the evening (located right next door). We were only there two days and the only regret I have is that we never had time to take in the Flood Museum, which was also right next to the hotel.

I know I've seen unfavorable reviews of it on here, but we stayed at Commodore on the Beach and were very please. Yes, it is older, but our room was VERY clean and the staff were wonderful. They went out of their way to see if we needed anything. We paid $10 for the shuttle to the pier and the guy was right there waiting for us at debarkation. We paid around $55, including free parking. There are a few pictures at the site below.

Moonvine did you tell them that you were on Royal Caribbean and they recommended them. Try this book for 2 nights and then cancel one night.

Good Luck!

Time of year makes a big difference. Summer is prime time and they require longer stays and sometimes do not include free parking. Make sure you ask!

We stayed at Holiday Inn on the Beach in December. Very nice. Had a well-organized shuttle (sign up early) both to and from the pier, and we parked our van there with no problems. Great nightclub, too!

Jan

My wife and I are booked in the Holiday Inn on Seawall Blvd. for this Friday night (pre-cruise). Is this the same as "on the Beach"? I intended to ask them about cruise parking and a shuttle to the terminal when I checked in. Is that too late? Any info appreciated.

Gene

There are two on Seawall Blvd. One at 5200 and one at 1700 (approx.) Holiday Inn On The Beach is at 5200, Sunspree Resort is at 1700.. we called again to verify the transfers and parking at the Sunspree and a different person told us it would be more money and that they would call back with the new rate, well, they never called back. I'm thinking of cancelling, I would love to book the other Holiday Inn, but there are no rooms left. We were told the first time it was included in the rate and this time, because we asked for it in writing, they are going to charge us more. I guess you should always get something in writing the first time! Anyone know of any other hotels that offer parking and transfers?

Moonvine did you tell them that you were on Royal Caribbean and they recommended them. Try this book for 2 nights and then cancel one night.

Good Luck!

Time of year makes a big difference. Summer is prime time and they require longer stays and sometimes do not include free parking. Make sure you ask!

Unfortunately they are closer to $200 than $100 per night. I think 2 nights was going to be $374. That's right about half as much as my cruise was. I would have to pay that up front, then see if they would let me cancel one night and wait for a refund. I am not sure I want to stay there badly enough to do all that to be honest.

Is mid October summer? I would not think so.

We are staying at the Quality Inn, called them direct and gave me a price of $111, included tax.

They first told me $149 and I said I had an internet site offer it for $99 so I got the better rate.

I too feel it is just to sleep in, we are getting in late.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived