New ship!!!

yara

Got a message today from friends stating that the owner of SD is now looking for someone who can build him a SD III. It is to be a bit bigger (something like Seabourn??)(hopefully not as big as SS).

This we have to look further into......

Anyone knowing more about this???

Got a message today from friends stating that the owner of SD is now looking for someone who can build him a SD III. It is to be a bit bigger (something like Seabourn??)(hopefully not as big as SS).

This we have to look further into......

Anyone knowing more about this???

I have heard that he is looking at a purchasing another ship to run in the Orient. I can't imagine that it will be a new build considering the cost of that - but who knows - SeaDream has become outrageously successful. I noticed that the books are open for early 2008 - so they are booking well in advance.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have heard that he is looking at a purchasing another ship to run in the Orient. I can't imagine that it will be a new build considering the cost of that - but who knows - SeaDream has become outrageously successful. I noticed that the books are open for early 2008 - so they are booking well in advance.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I HOPE they announce a "new ship"! Not that they need another, just that Seabourn and Silversea has been on the verge of "announcing" a new ship for the last year or so!! :D

Host Dan

I HOPE they announce a "new ship"! Not that they need another, just that Seabourn and Silversea has been on the verge of "announcing" a new ship for the last year or so!! :D

Host Dan

You are right about that. Maybe it will be a "race to the new ship" - that would be exciting!

This was taken from an interview in a Norwegian newspaper on monday. He had said that he was just waiting for a shipyard with capasity to build him one -and that it was to be a bit bigger than the two sisters. (you got to believe the newspapers....)

All of the "luxury" lines (Crystal, Regent, SilverSea, Seabourn and now Seadream) have allowed rumours to float about new ships but nothing has firmed up with any of them . Most shipyard capacity is now taken over by the big guys (Celebrity, Carnival, etc) so it's not clear when, if ever, these small ships can be built. I'm beginning to wonder whether these companies actually intend to build these new ships or if something else is behind these rumours.

• 5 weeks later...

Seadream really has done well with its concept and service and offers a truly unique product - I hope one day I can afford those pricey rates since I do cruise single. Nice to see their quality has not been diluted and in fact their prices are increasing. Seadream seemingly is not only creating their own market, but capturing a bigger share of a growing demographic.

SEADREAM vessels are not cruise ships and in fact, building a new, even larger Seadream ship would not be dictated by all of the mega newbuilds at yards including AKER-FIN, Fincantieri, or Meyer Werft. However, these yards do have facilities to construct mega YACHTS and small ships - particularly Fincantieri which has an entire entity for designing and building new vessels much less in size than a cruise ship. Those slots are most probably easier to obtain than a 150,000 cruise ship.

I would also suspect that smaller yards would be considered such as Blohm + Voss (Voyager and Explorer for Royal Olympic Cruises) and T. Mariotti which built/converted the ships for Radisson/Regent. The issue will be cost, capability, market demand and exchange rates. I would even venture to say that there are yards in Asia that would look at this business for Seadream.

What a great business and with fuel prices going down...we could all benefit...sail on and good luck Seadream!

Seadream really has done well with its concept and service and offers a truly unique product - I hope one day I can afford those pricey rates since I do cruise single.

Dear Seaventurer -

SeaDream usually does not charge a single supplement for the crosssings :) - so when DH's school calendar doesn't permit him to travel, that's the one time I travel at the single "rate". Too bad the lines don't advertise last minute "no single supplement" charge for open cabins. I'd be cruising a lot more frequently.

FT

What would you all like to see on a new SeaDream III? I hope they keep it under 250 passengers with a comparable staff ratio that takes such good care of us now. Many would like balconies but we dont find lack of them to be any issue at all on SD. Would like to see a contained "swimming pool" as part of the aft marina deck if space permits. A second TOY bar type outdoor bar and possibly a second pool. What other wants are out there? Atle, are you listening?

All the best,

Jim.

PS. A dungeon for any children on board would be very useful!

I can't see that a SeaDream 3 could be much bigger than the other 2 without changing the very dynamics that we love on the yacht. They would need to continue with open dining where if everyone showed up for dinner at one time, they could seat them. If they were to go to shifts it would not be the same.

I would love to see a hot/cold jacuzzi topside, misters on the balinese beds and more jet skis.

What about itineraries - where would you like a SeaDream 3 to go?

• 2 weeks later...
I can't see that a SeaDream 3 could be much bigger than the other 2 without changing the very dynamics that we love on the yacht. They would need to continue with open dining where if everyone showed up for dinner at one time, they could seat them. If they were to go to shifts it would not be the same.

I would love to see a hot/cold jacuzzi topside, misters on the balinese beds and more jet skis.

What about itineraries - where would you like a SeaDream 3 to go?

Call me a nut but how about Alaska/West Coast? Might even fit into wine country.

Frequent Traveler, do you still want the second pool filled with champagne?

Jim.

What would you all like to see on a new SeaDream III? I hope they keep it under 250 passengers with a comparable staff ratio that takes such good care of us now. Many would like balconies but we dont find lack of them to be any issue at all on SD. Would like to see a contained "swimming pool" as part of the aft marina deck if space permits. A second TOY bar type outdoor bar and possibly a second pool. What other wants are out there? Atle, are you listening?

All the best,

Jim.

PS. A dungeon for any children on board would be very useful!

Love that Jim sense of humor!!!

• 8 months later...

SD1 and SD2 are the old Sea Goddess 1 and Sea Godess 2 of Seabourn. They underwent major/extensive refits to add the Bali Beds and other structural changes. Not sure where the pools were located on the old Sea Goddess ships.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived