Summit hits whale [2 threads merged]

HumanCookie

Was the Whale balanced on the bulbous protrusion or was it impaled by it?

Impaled sounds so much more dramatic but from my understanding of that word it would be impossible to impale anything on a bulbous protrusion.

It is very sad that this magnificent animal has died. It is simply wrong for the media to cheapen its life with sensationalist reporting.

Happy Travels

Cindy

This has happened before several years ago in Alaska to Mercury or Galaxy. I am thinking that it occurred in 1999-2000. Same circumstances, if I remember correctly--whale stuck on the bow, photo in the Alaska papers, etc.

I would think that the Editor of the Anchorage Daily News would have caught this error on the photo caption:

"A work crew pulls away from a 25- to 30-foot whale impaled on the bow of the Carnival Cruise Lines ship Summit after helping attach a tow line to the carcass Aug. 19, 2006 in Seward."

Carnival Summit??

The thought makes me sick!

Sorry to see that happen. Always a pity.

Interesting how the photo caption says Carnival Cruise Lines ship Summit. I wasnt aware that Celebrity sold the ship in the past several days :)

Maybe it's just me but doesn't anyone else wonder how the ship could not have picked up the whale on radar????? Whether it was dead and floating or just out infront of the Summit who the he$$ was watching the radar and didn't notice a large BLIP on the screen?

I think X management should be a bit concerned on that point and then concerned as to why no one onboard was watching the controls!!! What if that had been a 25-30 foot boat that was stranded?? Or something that could have really damaged the ship....

Just my thoughts and no matter how that whale died it is a loss for all of us when our children or grandchildren will only see pictures of such beautiful creatures because there aren't any left. :(

I don't think a mostly submerged dead whale would show up too well on radar.

This is a horrible situation. Hard for me to believe a healthy whale would just sit there and get run over by a ship. I have to think it was dead or close to it when this incident occurred.

I don't think a mostly submerged dead whale would show up too well on radar.

This is a horrible situation. Hard for me to believe a healthy whale would just sit there and get run over by a ship. I have to think it was dead or close to it when this incident occurred.

Agree, also think the poor creature was probably dead or close to it,,,such beautiful animals, hate to see things like this and when they beach themselves, so sad:( ...

Randumb Thoughts:

Maybe it was a dare devil whale and simply miscalculated the speed of the ship.

Maybe it was raised in a bad pod and was attracted to the Celebrity ship with it’s bad pods?

What if the whale had struck one of the engine pods? Would the disabling thereof be another in the “long list” of pod failures? Do I get a full refund?

Should Celebrity have swerved to avoid colliding and spilled my martini? (Grey Goose that I “brought” from home, no less!)

Maybe it was a dead whale, ie debris in the ocean. Should Celebrity be commended for cleaning up the ocean?

So what happens to it now? Might be a good night to skip the seafood buffet.

Waiter!;)

Randumb Thoughts:

Maybe it was a dare devil whale and simply miscalculated the speed of the ship.

Maybe it was raised in a bad pod and was attracted to the Celebrity ship with it’s bad pods?

What if the whale had struck one of the engine pods? Would the disabling thereof be another in the “long list” of pod failures? Do I get a full refund?

Should Celebrity have swerved to avoid colliding and spilled my martini? (Grey Goose that I “brought” from home, no less!)

Maybe it was a dead whale, ie debris in the ocean. Should Celebrity be commended for cleaning up the ocean?

So what happens to it now? Might be a good night to skip the seafood buffet.

Waiter!;)

Archived