Belize?

emmaco

Carnival has dropped Belize?

I'm so glad we have already taken a cruise there, then.

But the cruise ship did not stop at Costa Maya. Our ports on that cruise were: Progreso, Cozumel and Belize.

I hope Carnival never drops Cozumel!!!!

FYI

Carnival Cruise Lines

star2.bmpCarnival Fantasy's five-day cruises from New Orleans will call at Progreso instead of Costa Maya.

star2.bmpCarnival Legend will call at Honduras' Roatan instead of Costa Maya.

star2.bmpCarnival Glory is adding Key West (and dropping Belize as well as Costa Maya). Its new schedule is Port Canaveral, Key West, at sea, Cozumel, Progreso, at sea, Nassau, Port Canaveral.

FYI

star2.bmpCarnival Glory is adding Key West (and dropping Belize as well as Costa Maya). Its new schedule is Port Canaveral, Key West, at sea, Cozumel, Progreso, at sea, Nassau, Port Canaveral.

I wold be interested in where you got this information. The Carnival web site still lists Belize and Costa Maya.

I am booked for Dec 1 on Glory and would like to find out.

FYI

Carnival Cruise Lines

star2.bmpCarnival Fantasy's five-day cruises from New Orleans will call at Progreso instead of Costa Maya.

star2.bmpCarnival Legend will call at Honduras' Roatan instead of Costa Maya.

It also states that this is a short term plan. They are still working out long term plans and it could change later - Roatan experiences a lot of rain Oct-Dec so we are not expecting to go there :(

Belize City, Wednesday, August 29th, 2007 - On Monday August 27th, 2007 The Minister of Tourism, Hon. Godfrey Smith, along with private sector representatives of the cruise tourism industry left Belize to meet with the President of the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association and cruise executives of most of the major cruise lines, including Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines. ...The mission had two specific goals: to address the announced withdrawal by Carnival Corporation of two of their cruise ships from Belize following Hurricane Dean. Loss of the two the Carnival Ships for the rest of the year would mean a decrease in arrivals by almost 75,000 passengers and an economic loss of up to 8 million dollars. The Belize team succeeded in securing an agreement from Carnival Corporation for the re-routing of the “Carnival Legend” to Belize on a weekly basis. It is unlikely that the “Carnival Glory” will be re-routed to Belize before mid-December. This would result in the loss of about seven ship calls to Belize between now and December with an estimated economic loss of approximately 3 million dollars. In meetings with the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association, the Association stressed that Belize needed to address three basic issues: the building of a cruise ship docking facility, the appearance of downtown Belize City and the chaotic situation outside of the tourism village. The FCCA pledged support of over $500,000.00 Belize dollars in building materials and other hurricane relief supplies to aid Belizean victims of Hurricane Dean. The materials will start coming into Belize commencing September 6th, 2007.

Carnival took Dean and ran with it, it all about the bad taste Belize left Carnival during the New Cruise Terminal negotiations. Now if Belize releases total control of the building of this new terminal, Carnival will return and have it as one of their major ports of call.

Fred

From a thread on the Belize board:

Anyone know how much of this is true? I read earlier on the boards that Carnival had suspended stops to Belize until December, but I have not heard any reason for that yet.

www.7newsbelize.com

Luke Espat Sues Government Over Carnival Project

In April of 2004, the government, Luke Espat and the Carnival Corporation were all smiles when they broke ground and a bottle of bubbly to launch the Belize Cruise Terminal Project, a $100 million plan for cruise ships to dock at a new facility adjoining the Port of Belize. But tonight, the news is that Luke Espat says government has failed to live up to its part of the deal and is ready to leave him holding the a very expensive bag. And it’s clear that that the PUP hardline loyalist isn’t going to take it; in fact information to us is that he’s suing the government for millions of dollars for breach of contract and making false representations and warranties. 7NEWS is reliably informed that a lawsuit was filed today by Belize Ports Limited against the government of Belize.

The statement of claim alleges that government breached the share sale agreement, the cruise terminal agreement the privatization cooperation agreement, a license agreement, the lease agreement for the Commerce Bight Port, and the prospectus agreement. For all these, Espat’s Belize Ports limited is claming damages and costs. According to the claim. It’s a lot of promises broken and undertaking unfulfilled and government’s liability could be in the millions of dollars. But the lawsuit and all the breaches claimed are only the background.

What’s really happening is that government appears ready to abandon Espat’s project and proceed with mike Feinstein’s project at Stake Bank Caye. Feinstein has proposed to build a cruise terminal on that island; works are already well underway, and we are reliably informed that he has commitments from two major cruise lines to participate. But what Feinstein does not have, at least not yet, is a license to operate as a port. But what we are reliably informed he does have is a commitment in writing from government to grant him that license. The weighty matter is expected to go before Cabinet when it meets on Tuesday. Government, of course, has to consider the additional liability and damages that it will incur from Espat if it grants a license to Feinstein’s Stake Bank Project – thus violating the exclusive license it gave Espat.

But more than just additional liability, government also has to make another consideration: it has to make a decision for the future of cruise tourism in Belize. Cruise numbers have fallen off sharply in the past two years, and by 2009 the major cruise lines have indicated they will no longer be ready to deal with the cruise tender situation where boats are anchored out at sea and passengers tendered in. Those lines have told government they want a proper docking facility where passengers can get off the ship and walk unto to dry land. Of course, that’s what was the plan with Espat’s project, which is already well underway. And though it will apparently not meet the target for completion at the end of the year, government, it seems, has lost interest.

Our read of the situation from those government insiders that we’ve spoken to is that, right now, key players in the Musa administration are very much in thrall with the Feinstein Stake Bank Project and very encouraged by the commitments he has received from Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. With that, we are told, those key decision makers, are leaning in that direction.

Espat’s lawsuit is, we figure, trying to make them lean back in his direction or get the sense of how much it will cost, if they don’t. Of course, any penalty is ultimately a cost to taxpayers, an outcome which, recent history has shown, this government is never too shy to invoke. But overall, commercial pressures are pushing hard on this one and it should take shape by the end of next week. We’ll keep you posted.

We were originally excited to stop in Belize on the Legend in July. Got over that really quick once we got off the ship and moseyed into town. Belize does not seem anywhere close to being ready for for large groups of tourists coming out of the cruise terminal. It certainly seems to be a place where a sponsored shore excursion is a good idea after our short experience walking to town. Too many beggars and drug dealers and hair braiders hounding me for my 10 year old "beautiful leetle gurl". Then there were the vendors who set up shop on the sidewalks, forcing tourists into the streets, which were quite busy. After about 15 minutes of this we decided that it was time to head back to the ship. Granted 15 minutes in and 15 minutes back is not a whole lot of time, but it sure formed a pretty strong impression: take an excursion out of that area and go somewhere else.

This is an incredibly poor country with many problems. The government of Belize would be wise to work with the tourism industry to bring in some outside money. Normally on a cruise I ask the crew about ports and what they do. For Belize I didn't ask anyone anything because I was excited to be in that port. When back on the ship the overwhelming majority of the crew with whom I spoke said that they "sleep in" on the Belize day. When the crew sleeps in you know there's not much out there.

We loved Costa Maya and the beach-bum atmosphere in village of Mahahual. The vendors in Mahahual were reasonable as were the folks walking the beach with their woven items and jewelry. Didn't feel unsafe there like we did in Belize.

We wrote about Belize not being ready for tourists on the critique of the cruise. Maybe Carnival actually read the comments.

We were originally excited to stop in Belize on the Legend in July. Got over that really quick once we got off the ship and moseyed into town. Belize does not seem anywhere close to being ready for for large groups of tourists coming out of the cruise terminal. It certainly seems to be a place where a sponsored shore excursion is a good idea after our short experience walking to town. Too many beggars and drug dealers and hair braiders hounding me for my 10 year old "beautiful leetle gurl". Then there were the vendors who set up shop on the sidewalks, forcing tourists into the streets, which were quite busy. After about 15 minutes of this we decided that it was time to head back to the ship. Granted 15 minutes in and 15 minutes back is not a whole lot of time, but it sure formed a pretty strong impression: take an excursion out of that area and go somewhere else.

This is an incredibly poor country with many problems. The government of Belize would be wise to work with the tourism industry to bring in some outside money. Normally on a cruise I ask the crew about ports and what they do. For Belize I didn't ask anyone anything because I was excited to be in that port. When back on the ship the overwhelming majority of the crew with whom I spoke said that they "sleep in" on the Belize day. When the crew sleeps in you know there's not much out there.

We loved Costa Maya and the beach-bum atmosphere in village of Mahahual. The vendors in Mahahual were reasonable as were the folks walking the beach with their woven items and jewelry. Didn't feel unsafe there like we did in Belize.

We wrote about Belize not being ready for tourists on the critique of the cruise. Maybe Carnival actually read the comments.

I read before hand about Belize and I am still excited about it. I am full aware that Belize is not as sophisticated as other places and a lot of the stuff is probably below someone elses standard.

Belize needs time, just like any other cruise destination (i.e. Cozumel). Corporation like Carnival block such development. Carnival did not respond to cruise critics on Belize but rather it is an attempt to force Belize into a Cozumel deal.

The Puerta Maya Pier in Cozumel is build and financed and owned by Carnival. All the stores at Puerta Maya (which resembles a US shopping plaza) are owned by Carnival, all souvenirs are made in China and Taiwan, all profits go to Carnival with nothing left for Cozumel. Employees at Puerta Maya make barely a buck.

Carnival is known to rip cruiser thinking they are actually in a foreign country. In Cozumel, excursions begin and end in Puerta Maya, with no chance to walk into SM downtown.

I read before hand about Belize and I am still excited about it. I am full aware that Belize is not as sophisticated as other places and a lot of the stuff is probably below someone elses standard.

Belize needs time, just like any other cruise destination (i.e. Cozumel). Corporation like Carnival block such development. Carnival did not respond to cruise critics on Belize but rather it is an attempt to force Belize into a Cozumel deal.

The Puerta Maya Pier in Cozumel is build and financed and owned by Carnival. All the stores at Puerta Maya (which resembles a US shopping plaza) are owned by Carnival, all souvenirs are made in China and Taiwan, all profits go to Carnival with nothing left for Cozumel. Employees at Puerta Maya make barely a buck.

Carnival is known to rip cruiser thinking they are actually in a foreign country. In Cozumel, excursions begin and end in Puerta Maya, with no chance to walk into SM downtown.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with just about everything in your post. Sounds like you have an agenda. Reader beware.

Carnival definitely has an agenda in Belize. One hand uses up all the perfumes of Arabia on the other--yet perhaps neither of them wash clean. Don't be too greenhorn. Money talks as loudly in Central America as it does on Wall Street. :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with just about everything in your post. Sounds like you have an agenda. Reader beware.

Naaaaaaaaa, I got no agenda. I still cruise on Carnival.

You state that you disagree with about everything, like what?

Puerta Maya is not owned by Carnival?

* Puerta Maya, Cozumel Carnival has also been busy elsewhere. In March 2002, the line took full ownership of Puerta Maya, a private docking facility on the Mexican island of Cozumel, which has become the cruise hub of the Western Caribbean to the rune of more than a million passengers a year. While Carnival Corporation vessels have preference for docking at Puerta Maya, the pier is open to all cruise lines.

Granted, Carnival like every other huge corporation donates some money to local charities, and grabbing a taxi or rented car is available outside the terminal but my point is correct.

I think it is quite rude to tell others "reader beware" if you do not know anything about me.

Carnival definitely has an agenda in Belize. One hand uses up all the perfumes of Arabia on the other--yet perhaps neither of them wash clean. Don't be too greenhorn. Money talks as loudly in Central America as it does on Wall Street. :rolleyes:

It sure does. Considering how many people cruise in the Caribbean each year.

:D

Cruising is just so much fun! DW and I have preferred HAL--guess who owns THEM now? DW and I have preferred S-class ships. Guess who has been ordering HAL to buy Vista-class ships?

Cruise shipping is a business, and as costs rise in the floating-hotel economy, the business has become cutthroat. You may snooze, but corporations never sleep. :cool:

Cruising is just so much fun! DW and I have preferred HAL--guess who owns THEM now? DW and I have preferred S-class ships. Guess who has been ordering HAL to buy Vista-class ships?

Cruise shipping is a business, and as costs rise in the floating-hotel economy, the business has become cutthroat. You may snooze, but corporations never sleep. :cool:

Carnival has owned HAL since late 1995/1996..... they leave that management of the ships alone and do not intermingle the cruiselines. HAL Is considered the Luxury Line under the "Carnival Umbrella"

I know that HAL was bought by Carnival in the late 80s. Did they change ownership again?

Like I said in my previous post, I have absolutely nothing against Carnival. I sailed them in the past and will do so in the future. Just because I don't like some of the things they are doing doesn't mean I totally abandon the rest of the goodies. Heck, based on that philosophy I can't even wear a T-Shirt anymore (since I don't support sweat shops). :D

I have never been on HAL.

I believe you are correct as far as up to your ellipsis . . . and then I believe either you are mistaken, or the HAL crew members are, because I never heard one of them say they were glad HAL started purchasing Vista-size ships. We didn't begin sailing with HAL until 2000--and I knew at the time they were owned by Carnival--but the first time--in 2004--we cruised on the Westerdam, the crew was still reeling from the changes they had to make to adapt to the new size and the new kitchen configuration. If anyone got a hot meal on that cruise I would be surprised, although ALL the dining room stewards were running their legs off. There was a fairly desperate situation even trying to staff the new ships, with S-class crews being cannibalized to make up the complement.

Ship purchases are one of those little things that would be difficult to keep secret from a parent corporation. I'm sure HAL upper management was "on board" by the time the Vista-class ships were a-building in the shipyards of old Italy; but perhaps Carnival upper management was the happier of the two? And had the upper hand? JUST A GUESS! :rolleyes:

I prefer HAL and perhaps I will always prefer HAL--yes, we did have a very pleasant Princess experience--but I don't have that many years or cruises left anyway, I'm sure. I intend if possible to stick with the S-class (medium) ships.

I believe you are correct as far as up to your ellipsis . . . and then I believe either you are mistaken, or the HAL crew members are, because I never heard one of them say they were glad HAL started purchasing Vista-size ships. We didn't begin sailing with HAL until 2000--and I knew at the time they were owned by Carnival--but the first time--in 2004--we cruised on the Westerdam, the crew was still reeling from the changes they had to make to adapt to the new size and the new kitchen configuration. If anyone got a hot meal on that cruise I would be surprised, although ALL the dining room stewards were running their legs off. There was a fairly desperate situation even trying to staff the new ships, with S-class crews being cannibalized to make up the complement.

Ship purchases are one of those little things that would be difficult to keep secret from a parent corporation. I'm sure HAL upper management was "on board" by the time the Vista-class ships were a-building in the shipyards of old Italy; but perhaps Carnival upper management was the happier of the two? And had the upper hand? JUST A GUESS! :rolleyes:

I prefer HAL and perhaps I will always prefer HAL--yes, we did have a very pleasant Princess experience--but I don't have that many years or cruises left anyway, I'm sure. I intend if possible to stick with the S-class (medium) ships.

I too prefer the "S Class" ships because of their smaller size. As for the crew running their legs off... that is merely cutting back Labor costs and is happening on EVERY CRUISELINE, NOT JUST HAL !!!

It's all about the bottom line which is slowly deteriorating with cruiselines and they must cut costs somewhere which in the end is noticeable by passengers relating to service, food quality, entertainment, et al.

Safe Travels... curtis

Archived