Aft suite - dreaded vent or dreaded beam?!

TrinaLC

Looking at various options for the spring -

Suites C748 and C751 are available.

From my reseach, 748 is the "dreaded vent", and 751 the "dreaded beam".

Some say the vent is awful, some say not so bad.

Some say the beam is awful, some say not so bad (but I do gather that the balcony w/ beam is smaller generally, plus the beam).

Anyone have comments/advice? What would you pick and why?

We had the aft suite on CB , and loved the "Dreaded Beam" so much, we booked it again!!!! Seriously, I know nothing about a vent, but the beam was not even a thought, as the balcony is HUGE. THe aft cabins, wether suites or not, are in my opinion the best cabins on the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

MYAngel, are there actually 2 beams, or one? I seem to get conflicting info.

Also, would this suite work well for 3? Possibly travelling with teenage daughter. The bedroom area has a curtain you can pull to separate?

Not being familiar with Princess ships......what are you guys talking about??I saw that those cabins are available on the August cruise we are looking at to book. What is the problem with them. It seems that the suites on Princess are not in great locations.......or am I just misinformed?? It is alot of money to spend on those cabins, buy want to be happy too. We are not anal about things.........but when you spend that much money. Thanks for the help

Macwoman

These are 4 aft suites on the Car Princess (and similar class ships). Seems 2 are affected by large vents, and 2 by one or 2 beams.

But aft is great!

Anyone have an opinion if the "beamed" balconies are also generally much smailler thant the "vented" ones?

Here is a picture, click to enlarge.

If it were me, I would pick the vent over the beam if I had a BB balcony. If I had one of the suites, the balcony is big enough that the beam is not a huge obstruction, but then you could also sit away from the vent...so it becomes a personal decision as to how much noise might bother you vs. having the beam.....

2771699810087446912NZQSdC_th.jpg

I think the 'vented' balconies on the suites just appear larger because they don't have the two beams breaking up the space. But I do think the beamed ones are a little deeper and thus might actually be larger.

MYAngel, are there actually 2 beams, or one? I seem to get conflicting info.

Also, would this suite work well for 3? Possibly travelling with teenage daughter. The bedroom area has a curtain you can pull to separate?

Two beams on the suites, but one is part of the bulkhead so its more of an alcove than a stand alone beam. The picture above shows it pretty well. And yes there is a curtain between the bedroom and the sitting area/sofa.

New Page 1

Click on above, a picture of the aft suites. You couls easily host a party on that balcony for 6-8 if you wanted. We sailed on the CB both times in VS, with our 19 and 17 year old sons. Space was never an issue. We are returning to the CB in two weeks with just myself and my husband, leaving the kids at home. We have a balcony stateroom this time. I will surely miss the suite!!!!!

Why not go for A-751 nestled between the Grand Suite and Owner's Suite? Same price - fewer neighbors and no beam issues whatsoever!

Rob

Now I see, it is indeed an aft. Would seem to have the same "vent" problem (still can't ascertain whether it really is a problem or not!)

Thanks for those great pics..Now I can see where my cabin is. Unfortunately, not a suite, but its aft B755.

When I booked the CB a couple of months ago, my TA said there was one aft cabin left on the baja deck and I should take it cause they highly desireable. I was then reluctant because I heard about the dreaded vent and posted a thread about it. Its mostly 50/50 on the noise. It looks great, so Ill keep it. Its just myself and my son who is 15, actually 16 by time we sail. I lost my husband 2 1/2 yrs ago so I think this will be nice for us. I hope Ill have a good time being alone, I know my son will want to mingle with teens his own age.

Thanks again.

Marge

Sailing the CB, July 10, 2008

I chose the suite with the vent over the beam and was sorry that I ever did that. We never sat outside and enjoyed the balcony with our friends due to the constant noise and disgusting smell. We did try sitting as far away from the vent as possible but it's not like the balcony is that big that you can really get far away from it. It's the first time in 10 cruises that I did not spend tons of time out on my balcony.

I know others have not had the same issue we did, but we did have it on the Crown and next time I book a suite it won't be next to the vents but rather with the dreaded beam.

Frankly, I think the biggest mistake Princess made with the Grand class ships was taking the suites off the Caribe deck midship because that was the perfect location and the best balcony that I ever had.

TrinaLC, which ship are you asking about?

If you are talking about the Crown or the Emerald then the Beam in B751 or B750 is a major problem as you can see from my pictures below. The BB Aft balconies on these 2 ships are all the same size, just that two of them have this huge beam in the middle, which for us made a huge difference.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/554070681EGbpUZ

myangel, from what I have been told the beam on the Carribean Princess is truely a very minor obstruction, nothing like on the Crown or Emerald.

sue

TrinaLC, which ship are you asking about?

If you are talking about the Crown or the Emerald then the Beam in B751 or B750 is a major problem as you can see from my pictures below. The BB Aft balconies on these 2 ships are all the same size, just that two of them have this huge beam in the middle, which for us made a huge difference.

myangel, from what I have been told the beam on the Carribean Princess is truely a very minor obstruction, nothing like on the Crown or Emerald.

sue

It is the Caribbean Princess. We did end up booking this room as I found alot more posts with people who really, really disliked the vent. (I searched for comparable rooms on different decks, eg center next to vent. I should have saved some of the links. My take, if noise bothers you - and it does bother me - the beam is the lesser of 2 evils. If you are really easy going about background noise, then it shouldn't be a problem.)

I chose the suite with the vent over the beam and was sorry that I ever did that. We never sat outside and enjoyed the balcony with our friends due to the constant noise and disgusting smell. We did try sitting as far away from the vent as possible but it's not like the balcony is that big that you can really get far away from it. It's the first time in 10 cruises that I did not spend tons of time out on my balcony.

I know others have not had the same issue we did, but we did have it on the Crown and next time I book a suite it won't be next to the vents but rather with the dreaded beam.

Frankly, I think the biggest mistake Princess made with the Grand class ships was taking the suites off the Caribe deck midship because that was the perfect location and the best balcony that I ever had.

Wow, cjskids, am I glad we went for the beam! After reading your post, I won't have any second thoughts. (I can always walk around a beam, but no escaping that noisy and possibly smelly vent!)

I understand it is the same size beam. From the various pictures and links posted here, they look the same.

I haven't been on the Carribean Princess yet. Is there anyone who can tell us first hand if the beams are the same as those on the Crown & Princess. There are my pictures of the BEAM on the Crown:

sue

I'm in the Grand Suite on CB. Is there a vent on the balcony?

Joan

The vent is not on the balcony, it is at the center of the ship adjacent to the balcony. Since the GS balcony runs from the port side halfway across the ship to the center, it does end right at the center vent.