If I bring my own soda...

rian90

Will they open them to see if they are alcohol? I wanted to bring some club soda but have a tough time finding it in cans. So I thought I might bring a few of those 1 liter bottles. The bottles will be sealed but I have heard that they open them to check for alcohol. I promise you..its just club soda...and I have to admit, I would love to see them explode all over the person. You know how club soda does that when you open it? :) But...if I only bring three bottles and they open them, I will lose some of my soda.

Yes, I know this is a silly question..but we also want to pack a few small bottles of juice. I am trying to stay off Coke and the likes so am drinking small amounts of low cal juice in my club soda. I have considered buying the soda package, but $40 seems a lot for the amount I would drink.

We have never had anything opened and we have brought soda and alcohol. That's not to say that we will get by with this on our next cruise. Most cruise lines allow a "reasonable amount of soft-drinks" to which club soda could be considered. I would not worry too much about it. Enjoy your cruise.

I don't think you will have a problem with unopened bottles. I had a half empty water bottle going on to the Mariner Around the Horn cruise and they picked it up and shook it. They said they could tell if it was vodka by doing that! (Although I don't know why anyone would have wanted to take on that little bit of vodka!) We had four unopened bottles of diet tonic and they didn't do anything to those. Some folks said they opened their water bottles and smelled them.

Don't try to hide them at all. Just put them in a grocery bag and haul em aboard. What we advocate here is transparency, transparency, transparency. I take soda all the time, they don't even look my way because they know what it is. The official policy may be a little different, but they have never taken or opened any of the cases of Splenda Coke I've taken.

You shouldn't have a problem as long as they are unopened. I imagine they look for the unbroken seal.

I also drink club soda with a small amount of juice, drying to cut down on Coca Cola. I get cans of grocery store club soda, I get mine at Safeway. Does Publix offer it maybe? I forget what other grocery stores are in Florida. One thing I noticed is the grocery store brand as sodium and the Canada Dry here in DC is "sodium free" according to the label. strange.

You shouldn't have a problem as long as they are unopened. I imagine they look for the unbroken seal.

That's it in a nut shell. Their thinking is that if the seal has been broken, it is quite possible that the bottle's contents isn't what it says on the label.

That's it in a nut shell. Their thinking is that if the seal has been broken, it is quite possible that the bottle's contents isn't what it says on the label.

That is the key. As others said earlier, carry it on where they can easily see what you are taking aboard and it will save all the hassle. If it is in the checked luggage they may call you down to open and prove it is not any more than just soda.

I am toying with not drinking as much soda on the next cruise and thus just taking a 12 pack or 2 with me. Less would be better and if I drank more water that would be the best.

Don't hide it and you will be ok.

Even though I only drink diet sodas (mostly Diet Coke), I've been hearing a lot recently how they actually make people crave more sweets, hence not being so great for you, after all. :( I've stopped buying them for that reason. I don't want to believe it, but hey, I've been trying to lose some lbs. for my upcoming cruise...so why mess with Mother Nature. ;) Now that I read how much the Soda Cards are on RCI, that might keep me away from it, too. :eek:

That is the key. As others said earlier, carry it on where they can easily see what you are taking aboard and it will save all the hassle. If it is in the checked luggage they may call you down to open and prove it is not any more than just soda.

I am toying with not drinking as much soda on the next cruise and thus just taking a 12 pack or 2 with me. Less would be better and if I drank more water that would be the best.

Don't hide it and you will be ok.

As long as the bottles are sealed, I've never had a problem bringing them onboard. I've carried bottles of water or soda that I bought in ports or had in my suitcase at boarding. I've had to throw away opened bottles of soda or water when we boarded from ports but never unopened. They didn't check the opened ones for anything - just said throw them away. There wasn't anything but the labeled contents in there. My husband and I usually carry our personal insulated water bottles filled with ship water so we have that to drink in ports. We've never been asked to open those or throw them away when we got back onboard, but we usually have those in a backpack that goes through the scanner.

Have you ever tried LaCroix Water?, we get it in cans in Atlanta at Publix,

Plan on taking this and fresh limes on our July cruise...yum

You might have a problem getting fresh fruit on board. There are VERY strict FDA guidelines about fruit and vegetables being allowed in ports.

I found small bottles of sodium free club soda..only I just thought of something. They are little glass bottles! Will the cruise ship let you bring on glass? I have this feeling they might not....

I don't do well with aspartame which is why I am bringing my own. I also don't think the corn syrup, which is in all sodas, is all that good for you. I barely drink soda anymore and hate to get back on the habit.

Guess I will look again for cans or take the larger plastic bottles if they don't allow glass containers.

I didn't think to look for the Publix brand club soda! Maybe they do have that in cans.

We are bringing it in a soft collapsible cooler on wheels we bought at Sports Authority.

They are little glass bottles! Will the cruise ship let you bring on glass? I have this feeling they might not....

My make up (foundation) is in glass bottles so i can say yes, glass is okay. My lotion is also in a glass bottle.

Soda can be brought on board in cases if you wish. People report putting a room tag on the case and the case shows up in your cabin along with your luggage. I prefer buying the soda for convenience.

• 3 weeks later...
I found small bottles of sodium free club soda..only I just thought of something. They are little glass bottles! Will the cruise ship let you bring on glass? I have this feeling they might not....

I don't do well with aspartame which is why I am bringing my own. I also don't think the corn syrup, which is in all sodas, is all that good for you. I barely drink soda anymore and hate to get back on the habit.

Guess I will look again for cans or take the larger plastic bottles if they don't allow glass containers.

I didn't think to look for the Publix brand club soda! Maybe they do have that in cans.

We are bringing it in a soft collapsible cooler on wheels we bought at Sports Authority.

Ask your Publix store manager to special order you some club soda in cans. He will be able to get one of the soda companies to bring some in for you even if they don't carry it on a normal basis.

I have never taken soda onboard but I am condsidering stopping at a store once in SJU htis May and getting some bottled water and maybe a small thing of soda for my DH. How do suggest taking that on? Do you give that to theporters as checked luggage or carry it on??? But then Ild have to carry it till I can get in my room...hmmm??? Also if you do send it with checked bags....how? Do you bring an empty duffle bag or something to put that stuff in once you get off the plane and get to the store?

A word of caution here.... becareful of the size of your cooler. It can only be specific size. Sorry ...maybe someone can tell you the size restrictions.

Archived