Auction art still dominates the Mariner (yuck)

There were quite a few posts a year ago discussing the overwhelming presence of Park West and their "artwork" and auctions on the Mariner. After some very negative publicity in the news, it appeared that Regent had moved Park West into a small corner of their ships. Apparently I was wrong. . . . the following is a quote from a poster that returned from an Alaska cruise on the Mariner on May 28th.

"The ship appears to be owned by Park West. The only art you see is auction art and it is EVERYWHERE!"

I truly hope Regent reads this and will tastefully place the Park West auction art in an appropriate location.

Regent is the only line that allows PW to hang "art" all over the ship (Regent apparently has no real art of its own). I can only surmise that 1) PW pays Regent a lot for this privilege and 2) Regent really needs that money.

Thankfully, it's not all over the Paul Gaugin. Who knows why? Maybe PW doesn't want to spend the bucks to ship their stuff to Tahiti. Maybe they think PG cruisers' brows and bank balances aren't sufficiently high.

PG has beautiful regional and historical art throughout the ship. May she remain unsullied!

Count us in agreement with posters who consider most of PW's "art" to be overpriced mass-produced pap that's truly intrusive when plastered all over the ship and promoted relentlessly during an otherwise premium cruise experience.

Holy Schnikeys!

And I thought I was escaping the ravages of mass-produced pseudo art by going with a luxury line. My only previous cruise was a last minute Spring break cruise on NCL (please don't mock me--it was for my tween daughter and we at least tried to luxe it up with a Penthouse Suite) and we were bombarded by this so called art at every turn.

Regent needs to reevaluate its stance on this. On my previous cruise, I found it annoying to say the least. It brings Regent's aura of excellence down several notches.

Of course, kind people, this is only my opinion. I don't like my art force fed to me. I've always wondered----what does cruising have to do with buying art and/or jewelry? Discuss.

Cheers.

Buying art has nothing to do with cruising. It has everything to do with Regent making money. They take a nice cut of every piece of art sold to a sucker on the ship. I agree it doesn't belong on a luxury cruise line.

I've always wondered----what does cruising have to do with buying art and/or jewelry? Discuss.

Like most here, I believe the correct answer should be "nothing". The odds of us ever going to an art auction while cruising are near zero, and the odds of buying anything there are zero. I actually can't believe they make enough sales to justify the cost of having someone on board to run them. And I absolutely agree with all the comments above wishing Regent would rid its ships of this unimpressive art.

But that being said, it's never something I'd be upset about. It doesn't diminish my cruise experience in the least, because I glance at it briefly in the halls, say "yuk", have a laugh, and then ignore it for the rest of my cruise. This ranks about 300th among my concerns for Regent to focus on to make my cruise experience a happy one.

-- Eric

Like most here, I believe the correct answer should be "nothing". The odds of us ever going to an art auction while cruising are near zero, and the odds of buying anything there are zero. I actually can't believe they make enough sales to justify the cost of having someone on board to run them. And I absolutely agree with all the comments above wishing Regent would rid its ships of this unimpressive art.

But that being said, it's never something I'd be upset about. It doesn't diminish my cruise experience in the least, because I glance at it briefly in the halls, say "yuk", have a laugh, and then ignore it for the rest of my cruise. This ranks about 300th among my concerns for Regent to focus on to make my cruise experience a happy one.

-- Eric

I agree that this is not a top concern of Regent passengers. It was simply a big nuisance. The worst case on the Mariner in Alaska last year was when the entire walkway leading up to Compass Rose and Latitudes had artwork so close together that you could not go left into the Mariner lounge to get a drink. It seemed to become more annoying as the cruise progressed -- probably because we had never seen this before. It sounds like this will not be a concern for you -- which is good.

Hope everything onboard is perfect!

I have to admit I am somewhat surprised to hear that these Park West auctions are on Regent. On the mainstream lines they run the gamut from amusing (who knows what will appeal to someone) to obnoxious (an almost side show atmosphere). The free champagne is usually a draw, but that can't be the case on Regent.

We have never attended (and don't think we will start now), but I hope they are not as front and center as noted by the OP. If so, perhaps a Mayan blood sacrifice demo might be in order during our December cruise.

The Park West stuff has never bothered me. They have never gotten my way, so I don't much care if they are there. I understand Regent gets 20% of the take. There must be a take or they certainly wouldn't be there. So if that 20% keeps my cruise costs lower, maybe having them on board is ok by me. Pat

I have to admit I am somewhat surprised to hear that these Park West auctions are on Regent. On the mainstream lines they run the gamut from amusing (who knows what will appeal to someone) to obnoxious (an almost side show atmosphere). The free champagne is usually a draw, but that can't be the case on Regent.

We have never attended (and don't think we will start now), but I hope they are not as front and center as noted by the OP. If so, perhaps a Mayan blood sacrifice demo might be in order during our December cruise.

We were on the Navigator in March -- while I cannot say 100% that they were there since we did not look for their office, there were two Park West type easels with artwork outside of the elevators on every floor.

Like Island Cruiser, we are not typically bothered by the Park West displays. On the Voyager, you barely notice the art or Park West.. However, our Mariner cruise last year was over the top in terms of displays. It was extremely disruptive. According to the CC member who disembarked from the Mariner last week, it is just as as annoying as it was last year.

Perhaps with children getting on board this week, they will remove the displays to make room for people:confused:

In 2006 I went from the Crystal Symphony to the Mariner within two weeks.

The art displayed on both ships was exactly the same!!! The prints and frames are located in a warehouse in the States and sent to the ships. The experts receive a weekend of art history training (ha ha) so they can explain the work. This was explained to me by one of the Art Directors who was quitting his job because he was unable to sell anything. Also the prices come down drastically during each cruise... I think it is amazing that educated? cultured? guests buy that stuff:rolleyes:.

In 2006 I went from the Crystal Symphony to the Mariner within two weeks.

The art displayed on both ships was exactly the same!!! The prints and frames are located in a warehouse in the States and sent to the ships. The experts receive a weekend of art history training (ha ha) so they can explain the work. This was explained to me by one of the Art Directors who was quitting his job because he was unable to sell anything. Also the prices come down drastically during each cruise... I think it is amazing that educated? cultured? guests buy that stuff:rolleyes:.

Maybe they figure the all-inclusive booze will make some people do crazy things. Some of the art isn't half bad after enough martinis.

Maybe they figure the all-inclusive booze will make some people do crazy things. Some of the art isn't half bad after enough martinis.

Nor are some of their sales people. While waiting for my wife outside Horizon Lounge last year I was looking at some of this art. I was approached by a very flirtacious, and yes, attractive lady. Despite her best efforts at selling me a random splash of paint on a canvas smaller than my computer screen for $11,000.00, I managed to gracefully say no.

Next day, in the laundry room, as I'm ironing my shirt for formal night, there is a basket of clothes that had been removed from the dryer with some very sexy thongs placed on top (not by me!).

Coincidentally, guess who came in and claimed them? "Oops.. guess I left my laundry in th edryer too long."

Now that was art! I never looked at her the same way again for the rest of the cruise.

Nor are some of their sales people. While waiting for my wife outside Horizon Lounge last year I was looking at some of this art. I was approached by a very flirtacious, and yes, attractive lady. Despite her best efforts at selling me a random splash of paint on a canvas smaller than my computer screen for $11,000.00, I managed to gracefully say no.

Next day, in the laundry room, as I'm ironing my shirt for formal night, there is a basket of clothes that had been removed from the dryer with some very sexy thongs placed on top (not by me!).

Coincidentally, guess who came in and claimed them? "Oops.. guess I left my laundry in th edryer too long."

Now that was art! I never looked at her the same way again for the rest of the cruise.

Now that is a great story!:D

After enough martinis a Picasso will look like a Rembrandt.

More likely a Rembrandt will look like a Picasso! :D And Mickey Mouse will look like, uh..., Van Gogh. Yes, we once saw a whole set of Disney prints onboard, apparently rare animation frames or something.

I doubt those Disney prints or cels were rare. You can find them in mall galleries everywhere. And as for removing art to make way for children, personally, I don't know which is worse but if I had to choose I'd rather have the art.

I doubt those Disney prints or cels were rare. You can find them in mall galleries everywhere. And as for removing art to make way for children, personally, I don't know which is worse but if I had to choose I'd rather have the art.

:D:D:DIf I agree with you, I'll no doubt be flamed:D:D:D

I like having art displayed throughout the ships and found the barren stairways on the PG quite lacking as a result. Further, while many pieces do not appeal to me, I don't knock others for their likes. Over the years and 16 RSSC sailings, I have purchased 10's of thousands of dollars of fine art, all of which was less expensive than had I purchased it state side. While I usually seek out original works, not all collectors can afford such choices and thus opt for more common pices that may be displayed on many ships.

While I like art on the ships, I do agree with those that find the "hard" sell quite distasteful as do I the fake "auctions" and absurd lectures by those who know as much about art as my 15 year old son.

Nevertheless, I also realize this is a significant revenue enhancer for RSSC and without it, I would not only have empty stairways but higher cruise fares too.

Please also note, that on the PG alone, the onboard boutique that sells highly inflated pearls pays RSSC $60,000 per month + a percentage of sales. So, thanks for those who buy pearls or artwork as its helps keep the prices of cruising down for others!

Celebrity owns and displays some of the finest and most unusual modern art at sea on its Celebrity and Azamara ships. Celebrity also has Park West auctions but PW only displays their "art" within their concession areas. Regent/Radisson has been around awhile and could have developed its own art collection but instead allowed PW to take over its ships.

Archived