Mazatlan Frank, which tour??

mickym

Ok, because of the raves on here we are booked with Frank in Jan. but now I am wondering which of his tours to take. I don't really want a beach one because we can do beach stuff at our other ports but which of the others have you taken and recommend?

We took his city tour which was great. He first takes you to through a neighborhood to a lookout point where you can see your ship docked. There is a small area to shop there and the view is lovely. Then he takes you to the older downtown area where you get to view a beautiful, old catholic church, you can walk from there to the marketplace. The marketplace was fascinating. On the outside it just looks like the regular mexican flea markets with t-shirts and stuff. Walk into the middle and there are meat counters, produce, etc where the locals come to shop. Then Frank drives you around the back of that market where you see some local vendors. We liked this part of the tour because the locals were there so you got a taste of their life. From there you go see the cliff divers. It was fun and there is some shopping set up there as well. From there he took us to another part of old Mazatlan where they have been restoring some of the old homes and buildings. We got out and walked to a town square. It was really lovely. Went by their Opera Theatre and then he took us to some friends of his home where they make pottery and some other things. It was nice as well. From there he takes you for a short stop in the Golden Zone for a bit of shopping. From there he takes you to an upscale residential area. From there to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. It was fabulous. A small, open air restaurant with really good food. We had something called the lava "something" - delicious. One of the waiters was also giving us free shots of teguila! This restaurant sets right on the beach. If any lwant to Frank will let you take some time to walk on the beach. From there he took us to the new marina area and showed us the new hotels and things being built. I'd like to go back and stay in that area. And then as he is driving back to the ship he took us through some other neighborhoods instead of just the way we came. It was really a nice overview of Mazatlan. It was my 7th time there but I saw so much I had never seen and came away with a wonderful impression of Mazatlan

We also took the all day city tour. There were 4 of us and our friends didn't want any beach time, so the closest we got to the beach was at Tony's on the Beach for lunch. :D Yummy food right at the water's edge. Frank is great; very easy to talk to. He will help you bargain with the shopkeepers if you need him to, and he takes you to very good quality stores. He will also suggest alternatives to his planned route if something he has planned is not to your liking.

We took his city tour which was great. He first takes you to through a neighborhood to a lookout point where you can see your ship docked. There is a small area to shop there and the view is lovely. Then he takes you to the older downtown area where you get to view a beautiful, old catholic church, you can walk from there to the marketplace. The marketplace was fascinating. On the outside it just looks like the regular mexican flea markets with t-shirts and stuff. Walk into the middle and there are meat counters, produce, etc where the locals come to shop. Then Frank drives you around the back of that market where you see some local vendors. We liked this part of the tour because the locals were there so you got a taste of their life. From there you go see the cliff divers. It was fun and there is some shopping set up there as well. From there he took us to another part of old Mazatlan where they have been restoring some of the old homes and buildings. We got out and walked to a town square. It was really lovely. Went by their Opera Theatre and then he took us to some friends of his home where they make pottery and some other things. It was nice as well. From there he takes you for a short stop in the Golden Zone for a bit of shopping. From there he takes you to an upscale residential area. From there to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. It was fabulous. A small, open air restaurant with really good food. We had something called the lava "something" - delicious. One of the waiters was also giving us free shots of teguila! This restaurant sets right on the beach. If any lwant to Frank will let you take some time to walk on the beach. From there he took us to the new marina area and showed us the new hotels and things being built. I'd like to go back and stay in that area. And then as he is driving back to the ship he took us through some other neighborhoods instead of just the way we came. It was really a nice overview of Mazatlan. It was my 7th time there but I saw so much I had never seen and came away with a wonderful impression of Mazatlan

We just got back for this tour and can't say enough good things about it or Frank. He is just the best and we saw so many things you don't on the cruise line tours. He will tailor it to your wants and needs, just ask. We are already booked with him again for our next trip to see some of the things we missed this time. Tony's is great, you will love it.

We went on the Colonial tour that he has and it is great. You see small villages and also how the artisans work so hard for so little money. It is a great perspective of the Old Mexico. You also get to see the city, including the old and new part of Mazatlan. You also stop for lunch, which is not included but it is great. We had the Imperial platter which has shrimp and lobster.

If you dont want the beach try that one!

Louis

We just finished the all day tour and also added in a tour of the Pacifico Brewery. Very informative and the tasting at the end of the tour was most welcome on a hot, humid day.

Can't go wrong with Frank. He truly loves Mazatlan and it shows in his dedication to bringing you the best of his city.

We just returned yesterday and did a tour with one of Frank's partners. We did the city tour, which was interesting, however, you really don't get to see alot of "old Mexico". El Cid is a development, much like many we have in the states, the monuments were great, but you really don't get to see alot of the cultural aspects of Mexico. Did enjoy the cliff divers, however, there were very pushy vendors everywhere. The market was good, though a little overwhelming. The cathedral was unbelievable.

Since we didn't do the beach portion, Tomatoe was kind enough to drop us off in the golden zone for some shopping and picked us up on the way back to the ship. We ate at a place there called Ponchos. It was one of the best resturants I have ever eaten at. The coconut shrimp was the best I have ever had...........Comparing notes with the people who went to the beach and ate at Tony's, our meal was better.

Tomatoe was a great driver and guide, but I will admit, I wish I had done the colonial tour instead of the city tour. I wanted to see more of the culture of Mexico and not as much of the tourist area.

You will have a great time, whichever you do.

We went on the Colonial tour that he has and it is great. You see small villages and also how the artisans work so hard for so little money. It is a great perspective of the Old Mexico. You also get to see the city, including the old and new part of Mazatlan. You also stop for lunch, which is not included but it is great. We had the Imperial platter which has shrimp and lobster.

If you dont want the beach try that one!

Louis

We will have to try that tour with him the next time we go back. We loved Tony's and the platter was fantastic. You just can't beat Frank and his love for his city.

......Comparing notes with the people who went to the beach and ate at Tony's, our meal was better.

Now how would you know if your meal was better than the one at Tony's, if you have never had a meal there...how do you know yours was better?? Just wondering...:confused:

We did the same tour as the folks that went to Tony's we had the BEST Lobster tail and shrimp with our dinner..and the Pina Colada's were to die for...

Mazatlan Frank is fantastic!! We did the city tour and resort. We just got off the Splendor Sunday. There is a brand new in Mazatlan called The Riu. Frank took us there for 3 hours....but we could've stayed all day!!!! This place is awesome!! Private beach, huge pools, swim up bar, buffet, all inclusive!! check it out http://www.riu.com/en-us/Paises/mexico/mazatlan/hotel-riu-emerald-bay/index.jsp

Frank is going to make this an option on his tour!

We loved Tony's on the Beach. I live in Southern California so we get really good Mexican food here. However, my sister, friend and I were in heaven eating our food at Tony's right on the beach. Also, our waiter was giving out free shots of tequila!

I've been on the colonial tour as well. It is a good tour and you do get to see how those outside of Mazatlan live. I found it very interesting. However, on Frank's city tour we were able to see how folks within the city limits lived as well. In downtown (old Mazatlan we saw markets they went to, we saw some neighborhoods after visiting the marina area that were not tourist areas. I'm not just talking the exclusive area of El Cid. We got to drive through what I would classify as a middle class neighborhood for them and see shopping centers, etc. These were centers where the locals were shopping not tourists. Perhaps we were lucky on our day to see both tourist spots as well as areas within Mazatlan city limits that locals went about their daily lives.

Thank you so much for your replies! I am helping plan things for a family group of 14 and know you can get city tours much cheaper but I feel very good and excited about going with Frank thanks to all of your comments. It sounds like a wonderful day.

We are taking a private tour with Frank in 2 weeks and requested the city/resort tour. We just got a message that he will take us to a new all inclusive resort at the Hotel Riu. The website looks amazing - I can't wait! I'll be sure to post a review...

We loved Tony's on the Beach. I live in Southern California so we get really good Mexican food here. However, my sister, friend and I were in heaven eating our food at Tony's right on the beach. Also, our waiter was giving out free shots of tequila!

I've been on the colonial tour as well. It is a good tour and you do get to see how those outside of Mazatlan live. I found it very interesting. However, on Frank's city tour we were able to see how folks within the city limits lived as well. In downtown (old Mazatlan we saw markets they went to, we saw some neighborhoods after visiting the marina area that were not tourist areas. I'm not just talking the exclusive area of El Cid. We got to drive through what I would classify as a middle class neighborhood for them and see shopping centers, etc. These were centers where the locals were shopping not tourists. Perhaps we were lucky on our day to see both tourist spots as well as areas within Mazatlan city limits that locals went about their daily lives.

That was our favorite part too, to see how the locals lived. We really enjoy seeing and mingling with the locals off the beaten path.

Archived