Ask for substitutions at dinner

craigandjessica

I have never cruised before and was wonderinabout asking for substitutions or asking for an item w/o one of the iitems. example: I was looking through some sample menus and found things that sounded great but would have 1 thing in it that I can not stand like mushrooms..Can you ask for it w/o mushrooms or is that a no no. Do they already have things plated since they are serving so many people s it would be a big deal or be offensive to the chef to do that. Just curious so I don't make an a$$ out of myself asking for that. Also I am a side dish girl. You can give me the best main dish but I will love the potato or veggie with it over the meat. Can you order just extra sides and not the main meat or vice versa for my DH.

Not sure about ordering with "no mushrooms", etc. But I would definately ask... if they can I am sure they will. Besides - the worst they can say is no and you are no worse off for having tried. I am pretty sure that if you just wanted the sides - or extra sides - that would not be a problem.

Often the pasta main entree is available in a smaller portion as an appetizer. If that helps.

One night - on the Spirit - I ordered the grilled chicken and asked for the red potatoes that were listed with one of the main entrees. That was not problem at all. A simple chicken breast with red portatoes was great after so many days of sauces and "fancy" meals ;).

Unfortunately, you usually can't. Everything is already plated, and the waiter is running back and forth just to get the regular orders out. You may find a waiter occasionally who would be willing to bend over backwards, but it would be a hardship for him/her and would probably impede the service that all of his tables receive. I'd recommend against that.

I dont see any reason why you cant ask for something without mushrooms(for example)

They cater to people that have food allergies or other medical problems. I guess just tell them you are allergic to whatever ingredient you dont like:p

If you have allergies you need to call ahead to make arrangements for special food

Usually something like mushrooms is difficult to take off a plate (such as in a sauce), but you can ask. You can ask for a plate of a side if you wish, or if you want a baked potato instead of the potato served with your dinner, you can ask for a baked potato, or visa versa. I've asked for a different side dish from another entree because I liked it better (asparagas and califlower come to mind). My DD loves broccoli, and asked for broccoli as a side dish on the first night of a cruise (it was being served with another entree, not hers). Our waiter brought her a plate of broccoli and the plate of broccoli appeared every night of the cruise thereafter. You can order more than 1 appetizer, salad, entree or dessert if you want to do that. You can order all of the desserts. Don't be afraid to ask, trust me, you won't offend anyone and the waiters have heard it all. On a ship of 3,000 passenger, the chef will never know. Just remember to tip your waiter extra at the end of the week. Our waiter got an extra $25 for the plates of brocolli.

Your best bet, if you care to do this, is to take a look at the menus for the enitre week when you board. They usually have them for you to review at the guest services desk.

If you have a question about an item, or want to ask for a change, let the guest services desk person know you want to speak with someone about this. You will be contacted by someone who will tell you what they can and cannot do to accommodate you.

This is your cruise, so make the most of it! Do not hesitate to ask for assistance. That is what they are there for.

I have never cruised before and was wonderinabout asking for substitutions or asking for an item w/o one of the iitems. example: I was looking through some sample menus and found things that sounded great but would have 1 thing in it that I can not stand like mushrooms..Can you ask for it w/o mushrooms or is that a no no. Do they already have things plated since they are serving so many people s it would be a big deal or be offensive to the chef to do that. Just curious so I don't make an a$$ out of myself asking for that. Also I am a side dish girl. You can give me the best main dish but I will love the potato or veggie with it over the meat. Can you order just extra sides and not the main meat or vice versa for my DH.

Cruise food is pre-plated, just like the food at a big wedding hall. Frankly, asking to have ingredients removed is usually either not possible or being pesty. This is, unfortunately, one of the things that is different from dining in an ordinary restaurant on land. Personally, I try not to be any extra trouble to the waiters. I know there are a lot of new (and not so new!) cruisers who inadvertently make extra work for them so I think its great that you had the sensibility to post this question. On our last cruise their was a (nice!) lady at our table who drove the wait staff crazy with this sort of thing. I'm sure she's unaware of the trouble she was and will do the same thing on her next cruise.

We travelled with someone who was a PITA who kept on and on about leaving off veggies from her plate, she didnt want them. The waiter kept patiently explaining he couldnt remove them... if she wanted something else, just ask and she would get that TOO. So she just ordered what she wanted... they arent good about taking items off the plates, but you can still get other stuff you wanted to substitute.

We've been on 5 cruises all on Carnival. My dh does not eat any sauces or gravies and asks that they not be put on his plate. We have never had an issue with this and they've always been great about accomodating him. When we booked our first cruise he thought he was going to have to eat at the buffet each night. I didn't want to miss out on the dining room meals so he agreed to go and try it as long as he had the buffet as a back up. The waiters were so good about his first dinner experience that he was completely as ease and we eat all of our meals in the dining room on each cruise.

Don't be afraid to ask for something and if it's not possible they will tell you. Don't assume because some say it's not possible or that it's a hardship that it can't be done. If my dh had not asked he would have missed out on eating in the dining room each night.

We travelled with someone who was a PITA who kept on and on about leaving off veggies from her plate, she didnt want them. The waiter kept patiently explaining he couldnt remove them...

Yes, I don't understand why people want to order a dish "without" something. If you don't want it, don't eat it. There is no rule that you have to clean your plate! If you don't think you can stand it, don't order it. There are so many choices!

To ask someone to hold the veggies... that is ridiculous. Just don't eat them.

You can always ASK the server to do anything, leaving mushrooms out of a sauce is not possible, but getting the sauce on the side isn't a problem, yes the plates are all made up and ready to go, but it's easy enough for them to grab a plate that isn't completed and have a sauce left off... you can also ask for second entrees and you are also allowed to have a second or third lobster tail.. the server doesn't need to "hide" that from the chef, as it is ALLOWED! Same as having multiple desserts... however if your server does special things for you MAKE SURE to tip extra and tip them THAT NIGHT not at the end of the trip, (although do it then too) ... so they know that while you might be a PITA, you are at least going to make it up to them..Just make sure you don't ask them to do things every time they come to your table... that's just rude :) And yep..I work in the restaurant biz :D

If you have allergies you need to call ahead to make arrangements for special food

We will be sailing in Oct on our first cruise. My wife is allergic to wheat. I e-mailed to ask if they could accomidate her and they suggested that she bring her own food :eek:. We will bring a couple of boxes of gluten free pasta and maybe a pizza crust. But come on a lot of people are allergic to wheat. You would think they could handle that for the price of a cruise.

They cater to people that have food allergies or other medical problems. I guess just tell them you are allergic to whatever ingredient you dont like:p

They cater to people with food allergies and medical problems WITH ADVANCE NOTICE. That way, they can plan to make that person's plate especially for them. That is a completely different scenario than asking for something different during the heat of dinner service.

Part of the reason why they are able to serve thousands of people so efficiently is that everything is streamlined and prepped in advance. Any wrench thrown into the system will inevitably slow things down. One person doing this may not have a great impact, but a dozen or several dozen of them could throw off the whole kitchen and wait staff...

They cater to people with food allergies and medical problems WITH ADVANCE NOTICE. That way, they can plan to make that person's plate especially for them. That is a completely different scenario than asking for something different during the heat of dinner service.

Part of the reason why they are able to serve thousands of people so efficiently is that everything is streamlined and prepped in advance. Any wrench thrown into the system will inevitably slow things down. One person doing this may not have a great impact, but a dozen or several dozen of them could throw off the whole kitchen and wait staff...

I asked with 60 days notice and was still told to bring our own food. How Much notice do they need?

Sorry for hijacking the thread I will quit now.

We will be sailing in Oct on our first cruise. My wife is allergic to wheat. I e-mailed to ask if they could accomidate her and they suggested that she bring her own food :eek:. We will bring a couple of boxes of gluten free pasta and maybe a pizza crust. But come on a lot of people are allergic to wheat. You would think they could handle that for the price of a cruise.

Don't know who you spoke to but they most certainly will make you special meals! I don't think you can even bring your own food on a cruise, for them to cook it would be a health code violation..I think! But anyways... this is on Carnivals' website..

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide meals for those with food allergies and the following special dietary needs:

• Vegetarian
  • Low-cholesterol
  • Low-fat
  • Low-carbohydrates
  • Low-sugar
  • Gluten-free

Please advise the dining staff or contact a Guest Access Services Representative once onboard so we can prepare the appropriate meal for you. However, those requesting Kosher meals – due to the limit selections and quantities – should call Reservations at least two weeks prior to sailing to accommodate your needs.

Hope this helps! My best friend has a gluten allergy.. It's a pain but just about anywhere we dine, they are able to find something she can eat...

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We have received your e-mail message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We would suggest bringing her own gluten free food, just as a precaution.

Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Head Waiter on the first night of the cruise.

Lunch and dinner menus in the main dining room feature Spa Carnival selections which are:

• Lower in calories
  • Lower in sodium
  • Lower in cholesterol
  • Lower in fat
  • A vegetarian entrée (trans fat free).

Designated by a special menu symbol, the Spa Carnival items are accompanied by a listing of the number of calories and grams of fat contained within each selection; the number of carbohydrate grams per dish is listed beneath each low carbohydrate selection.

Depending on the diet, the following applies:

• Poultry and meats are broiled or roasted.
  • A low carbohydrate prepared appetizer, salad and entree selection.
  • Reduced carbohydrate, trans fat free bread selection will be available each evening, on request.
  • Salads are prepared with low-fat or fat-free dressings.
  • Desserts are prepared with Sweet n' Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar.
  • Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available as well as diet jellies and sugar-free syrup.

Trans Fat

Carnival stopped using cooking oils containing trans fats in 2005. While most items among the cuisine choices are already trans fat free, we are conducting a detailed analysis of remaining items that can be replaced with trans-fat-free variations and are working with vendors to find suitable alternatives. We began moving away from ingredients containing trans fats two years ago, motivated simply by a desire to take the healthiest possible approach to food preparation and menu offerings in the interest of our guests' well-being. Carnival's latest initiative to eliminate trans fats is slated to advance over the course of the next six months as the company continues to identify and replace additional items.

Special Diets Due to Medical Conditions

Only special diets due to medical conditions should be reported to Guest Access Services:

• Food allergies
  • Special preparation of foods (ex: pureed) due to medical conditions
  • Distilled water - available on board for medical purposes; the guest is charged per bottle. The Guest Access Desk must be contacted.

If there is anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

I'm really surprised to read this...Did you contact Special Needs Dept? When I sailed in Dec. on Fascination, there was a man at our table with a gluten allergy. The waiter was aware he was comning, kept asking every male as they arrived it they were him...Dining room manager and maitre d' brought menus and huddled with him every night. The chef prepared special dishes, and desserts...as well as having gluten free bread. Twice his entrees were very late coming, because I think they had to wait until the other entrees were prepared and they could clean the area...I think the chef enjoyed the challenge. EM

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines.We have received your e-mail message and appreciate theopportunity to be of assistance.

We would suggest bringing her own gluten free food, just as a precaution.

Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Head Waiter on the first night of the cruise.

Lunch and dinner menus in the main dining room feature Spa Carnival selections which are:

• Lower in calories
  • Lower in sodium
  • Lower in cholesterol
  • Lower in fat
  • A vegetarian entrée (trans fat free).

Designated by a special menu symbol, the Spa Carnival items are accompanied by a listing of the number of calories and grams of fat contained within each selection; the number of carbohydrate grams per dish is listed beneath each low carbohydrate selection.

Depending on the diet, the following applies:

• Poultry and meats are broiled or roasted.
  • A low carbohydrate prepared appetizer, salad and entree selection.
  • Reduced carbohydrate, trans fat free bread selection will be available each evening, on request.
  • Salads are prepared with low-fat or fat-free dressings.
  • Desserts are prepared with Sweet n' Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar.
  • Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available as well as diet jellies and sugar-free syrup.

Trans Fat

Carnival stopped using cooking oils containing trans fats in 2005. While most items among the cuisine choices are already trans fat free, we are conducting a detailed analysis of remaining items that can be replaced with trans-fat-free variations and are working with vendors to find suitable alternatives. We began moving away from ingredients containing trans fats two years ago, motivated simply by a desire to take the healthiest possible approach to food preparation and menu offerings in the interest of our guests' well-being. Carnival's latest initiative to eliminate trans fats is slated to advance over the course of the next six months as the company continues to identify and replace additional items.

Special Diets Due to Medical Conditions

Only special diets due to medical conditions should be reported to Guest Access Services:

• Food allergies
  • Special preparation of foods (ex: pureed) due to medical conditions
  • Distilled water - available on board for medical purposes; the guest is charged per bottle. The Guest Access Desk must be contacted.

If there is anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Wow! That's just crazy!! lol I am going to maybe take a guess that this person was absolutely clueless as to what a gluten free diet is ... I am sure you and your wife have gone to restaurants and found that they are probably always willing and capable of creating gluten free dishes... Chef's take specific, special courses on allergies...good luck!

Like i said this is our first cruise and we WILL have a great time regardless. I was just hoping for a little better response than what we got. We will be prepared just in case. We will hope for the best. She loves shrimp and they have a suchi bar on board ( which she also loves ) so she won't go hungry. And yes we will be talking to our waiter the first night of the cruise.:)

Like i said this is our first cruise and we WILL have a great time regardless. I was just hoping for a little better response than what we got. We will be prepared just in case. We will hope for the best. She loves shrimp and they have a suchi bar on board ( which she also loves ) so she won't go hungry. And yes we will be talking to our waiter the first night of the cruise.:)

When you board - go to the dining room and explain your situation AND the response that you received.

On our last cruise there was a woman at a table near us who had some sort of allergy. Nightly - after they had finished dessert - a Carnival employee came to thier table and the reviewed the next nights menu. The woman made her choices - with guidance for the Carnival employee.

Celiac Disease is no that uncommon that they can not help you make the best choices!!

I too am allergic to wheat. I always remind our pvp when I book that I am. DH is diebetic. We have sailed on Carnival six times with two more booked.

There has never been a problem with either of our foods.

Maybe you need to talk to someone different at Carnival.

I asked with 60 days notice and was still told to bring our own food. How Much notice do they need?

It's not a matter of notice - some diets they can accomodate and some they can't. Find out ahead of time what they can do for you. If it's before the penalty number of days out and they can't accomodate your needs, cancel and book another vacation option.

I cant imagine them cooking your boxes of gluten free pasta :(

I think you might want to talk to someone else... this doesnt sound right that they will cook food you bring from home.

I think they were suggesting you bring food you can eat as is, not food they will cook, but what do I know...this just doesnt sound like anything Iv ever heard before.

They should have plenty of food there you can eat too.

Last minute, I doubt it....but, right after you board, meet with the Maitre'd. He'll have menus for the week available. You can look them over and make arrangements with him at that time.

They are usually pretty good at accommodating simple requests.

If he assists you with special meal arrangements, don't forget to tip him at the end of the week.........if you think he did a good job for you.

Archived