Galveston RUMOR!!!!

TEXASMUNK

I was wondering about that date. Rhapsody is in Australia in 2010. No word yet on 2011 of course.

Any notion about storms, ect is nonsense. Florida is just as risky as any Texas port.

I did note with interest that when asked about Galveston, they hid behind the "lawyer" defense and said they could not talk about it. I am wondering if Galveston screwed the pooch on those ships. I still think Houston would give them a GREAT deal at this point for its new cruise port.

I will believe that RCL is back when I see the bow of a ship that will stay all year. The Voyager will be there an extra month next year. It is due in in November instead of December.

"screwed the pooch" Lol.....I heard that for the first time when I moved to Texas a few years ago.

Hey everyone,

Seems everyone is focused on the Rhapsody of the Seas. However, there is tons of speculation that the Carnival Magic (sister ship to Dream) will be homeported in Galveston. This is Carnival's newest ship class and their biggest. If they bring one of their biggest ships to Galveston in 2011, it is possible RCI may try to steal there thunger by bringing one of their biggest ships to Galveston and bring a Freedom Class vessel.

Wouldn't that be something.

A Freedom class ship in Galveston - THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I am not so sure about this rumor. We are booked on the Voyager for 21 Feb and the prices are really low. And by looking at a certain web site, half the ship is still available and it is less than 6 mos to the cruise. There are other cruises that have some great prices. Last year, there were many cabins open after final paymet for our Voyager cruise. So are we Texans really supporting cruises consistantly out of Galveston enough to have a full time ship there?

And Derek Lewis has moved to the Voyager. Can't wait to see him again but this time, I am not singing! Been there, got the t-shirt.

Yea but you are assuming that a half-full ship would be the norm. This is a bad economy, lots of people are not traveling at all. I dont think a half full ship, sailing during a bad economy is indicative of "the norm" at all.

Galveston had to dredge the channel to get Voyager in. We were lucky enough to have dinner with the Captain on a Rhapsody cruise and he told us about 3 years before it actually happened that Voyager could not fit in Galveston because of the channel. Sure enough, Galveston made it happen. But I seriously doubt that Freedom class could fit here.

Anyone know if Derek Lewis will be back on Voyager this season?

Yea but you are assuming that a half-full ship would be the norm. This is a bad economy, lots of people are not traveling at all. I dont think a half full ship, sailing during a bad economy is indicative of "the norm" at all.

I am a little confused by your post here!

If you are saying that a half full ship in a bad economy is not "the norm" then I can assume you are saying it is better than "the norm"

I work in the travel industry and there are lots of people traveling. Not as many as before, but still plenty. February is typically a slow month for not just the cruise lines, but the travel industry as a whole. I have seen this year after year after year. Things start to pick up again in March as that is when sping break begins. This usually carries over until mid to late April. May can be a little slow until Memorial Day weekend then it's the busy summer travel season until Labor day!

If you think this is isolated to Texas, compare cruises from other ports during Feb and you will see the same trend!

Here Everything is big in texas, so if needed we can make anything happen. I myself am planning more cruises out of Galveston. I just wish I would have taken a Princess cruise while it was there. I do not want any more of thoose Carni ships here though, one is enough for me. I will never use them so do not care what they bring here, unless other cruise lines take notice and come too. Come back Princess, I promise I will use ya! If RCCL is a good as I read, I will love them as well.

Yup, she is smaller, but when she was in Galveston, the crew grew to love the number of friendly, polite and smiling passengers. The ship gained the reputation as the friendliest ship in the fleet. The next reason was the layout....she is perfect. Easy to get around, still lots of different venues, so easy to go from one area to another....

She was as close to the perfect cruise ship as you could imagine!

And she had DEREK LEWIS!

Been there, done that and bought several of his tee shirts.:D

We sailed on Rhapsody for the first Australia/New Zealand cruise in 2007. When the crew members found out that we were Texans, they couldn't do enough for us. They all missed Texas and were lamenting that Rhapsody was not coming back.

Derek wound up on Voyager. Hung out with him in February. He doesn't do the European tour, though and that's sad. He said something about not doing well with the Europeans.

I'm thrilled! I love that ship. She's my very best favorite in the fleet. I'd trade Voyager for her any day. Probably the most awesome crew on the 7 seas.

Been there, done that and bought several of his tee shirts.:D

We sailed on Rhapsody for the first Australia/New Zealand cruise in 2007. When the crew members found out that we were Texans, they couldn't do enough for us. They all missed Texas and were lamenting that Rhapsody was not coming back.

Derek wound up on Voyager. Hung out with him in February. He doesn't do the European tour, though and that's sad. He said something about not doing well with the Europeans.

Just came back from the Indy and my cabin attendant had been on the Rhapsody for years. She was so thrilled when she heard I was from Texas, threw her arms round me and hugged me, and said that she and all the Rhapsody crew were still crying about having to leave Rhapsody and Galveston. They loved it. She was moving to Oasis but would go back to Galveston in a heartbeat. :)

Sure would be nice to see Rapsody back...Honestly I don't see any reason they would shift her to New Orleans for a few months...too many logistical issues to deal with...easier to do Sat and Sun sailings each week for a few months out of Galveston.

In a couple years Galveston should be back almost like it was before Ike...the recovery so far is amazing so 2011 to add another ship from RCCL is just a good thing...It is a week of rembering around here 109th anniv for the 1900 storm and 1 year for Ike. I am glad we are all getting back to normal...in part because of loads of volunteers. (I have 1000 hours of volunteer time in the past year related to Ike...)

Back on cruising, if Rapsody does come, perhaps they can run part of the year at least 10 and 11 day voyages farther South to South America and Panama Canal zone area.

Several interesting comments here.

The Gulf is NOT a cul de sac. You can sail either way out of it. They nearly ran the Rhapsody out of here with that endless and boring run to Key West. (Don't bother flaming me about that port. I have my asbestos armor on anyway.) In the dead of winter you froze to death on the way there.

You can't make the eastern caribbean? Oh really.... then why is Carnivore doing it right now to the Bahamas? (Another boring run but a new port for now) That run kept me from taking a cruise in June.

They talked for a LONG time about a Radiance Class in Galveston. That would be a very nice choice. I about matches the Conquest and would be easier to handle in the channel.

Galveston's Port is NOT controlled by Houston.

Many people are constantly pestering RCL about a year round ship here. The ships that were here were making money, just not what RCL wanted. They made a move to scatter the ships all over the world to increase the bottom line. Some of the moves worked, some did not. The Rhapsody continues to do very well in Australia. That does not bode well for us here.

Most of the cruise lines abandoned the Gulf Coast and moved across the globe or back to the east coast over the last few year. The only real player on the Gulf Coast now is Carnivore. They seem to be doing well with no competition. I will ride Carnivore, it beats no cruise, but they are NOT RCL by any stretch of the imagination. They used to have a nice run but ruined (JMHO) it with that run to Bahama. The run to Jamaica and the Caymans is uninspired and about worn out for most of us. I personally love Roatan, Belize and Coasta Maya. Not much good to say about Progresso. Cuba will eventually open up and watch out for that one!

Headed to Florida this Xmas to do another of those 11 night runs down to Panama. I really miss those runs. However they were hard to sell in Galveston other than the holiday run.

WOW, long winded but glad to get that off my chest.... NOW.... RCL... figure out how to put a ship here year round!!!!!!!!

During the Q&A time at C&A party I asked about the another ship for Galveston. The answer was "NO" do to the uncertainy of the weather, ie hurricanes, during the late summer & fall months.

The two storms that delayed the Galveston ports were Alecia in 1983 and Ike in 2008. That'd be an epidemic since we did not have a cruise ship in 83...

"The weather is here, wished you were beautiful" Jimmy Buffett

Sure would be nice to see Rapsody back...Honestly I don't see any reason they would shift her to New Orleans for a few months...too many logistical issues to deal with...easier to do Sat and Sun sailings each week for a few months out of Galveston.quote]

I think the idea was to introduce a Voyager class ship to Texas and the folks that sail from there during it's break from Europe. Otherwise I would think you put the larger ship May-Nov and the Rhapsody during the colder winter months since the demand is weaker and they have an enclosed solarium.

I have Rhapsody and splendor to blame for cruise my addiction, since then I've tried some voyager class ships, and even a few carnival cruises and still no fix, LOL, I guess I'll try another voyager trip in March to see what happens, Rhapsody we want you back!!!

Please!

Please!

Please!

I have been on Carnival Ecstasy many times (and have her booked again for next year) simply because RCI pulled the year rounds...

(we joke they are afarid of the Hurricanes)

I would Love Love Love a few choices out of Galveston (our homeport) and it seems strange to just 'give' Carnival all the business for the remainder of the year.... (I dont care who I cruise on as long as I am on a ship, but it would be nice to have some choices) I loved it when the Splendour was based in Galveston...ahhh, my first cruise.

:D

Archived